PDA

View Full Version : CLF....Lets stop fightin' and talk theory

Gwa Sow Chop
11-25-2002, 11:20 PM
Hey all:

Talking smack is quite counterproductive to training, and the essence of wu dei. So I propose that we get productive and mend some wounds between combatants, lineages, schools and scholars.

I was sitting around and thought that there are MANY great topics to take on, so I will offer up one and hope we get back on the trolly tracks.

Topic 1.
It is said that the thread that all clf players have in common are the core sets.

BUT..........
Then we all do them differantly, dont we??? For example, the Bok Sing sup chi kau dah is much differant in content to the one that I know from our hung sing lineage. I also learnt the analog to this set in bok hsing fut gar (also Buk sing CLF) called just "Sup Chi" kuen and it is also vastly differant.
There are commonalities in all these sets that I can see. (I have been lucky enough to learn all three). But I also see that there are enough differances to sink a battleship with. They all have a differant flavour and to my perspective....a differant objective for the development of the player.

Question:
It is commonly said" If you dont do Sup Chi Kau Dah, you can not rightly call yourself CLF". Dosent this fly in the face of reason?
I mean, three differant SCKD, from three differant lineages, as differant as black and white, yet this logic is overloked?

If So.....what does really hold the CLF ers together as a style/brotherhood.

Comments???

Arhat of Fury
11-26-2002, 11:47 AM
CLF evolves, to me this means each sifu adds its own flavor to this evolution. I too notice some differences in forms from different lineages, although I do obviously see alot of the similarities.
I do also notice that some branches execute forms differently. Some lineages stiff and some loose.

Just some observations?

AOF

CLFNole
11-26-2002, 12:33 PM
Arhat of Fury said it best clf evolves as does all kung fu in general. I doubt that any of the forms around are done exactly how they were when they were originated.

Another thing to consider is that teachers themselves evolve through the years. I know that myself personally I teach a bit differently then I might have a few years ago. The same with my sifu early in his teaching years you could see the forms were done slightly differently than they are today.

The thing about Sup Gee Kow Dah Kuen is that it is generally considered one of our "pillar" forms like Gung Gee Fook Fu Kuen is to hung gar. Although the form may differ from branch to branch it generally contains the various elements of clf and is a long form that forms on stamina.

Forms will always be done differently I have seen forms done slightly different within my own lineage.

Peace.

Arhat of Fury
11-26-2002, 12:55 PM
Sup gee- stamina!:confused: your not kidding, we counted our movements one time and came up with close to 170 movements/techniques.

AOF

Gwa Sow Chop
11-26-2002, 08:21 PM
Well said, and I agree with these points.

1. The art evolves
2. the teacher evolves
3. there becomes a definate culture to each kwoon, and it also evolves, and shapes techniques.

In essence it is why we all basically do it diffenent to each other.
I would like to think that it is all good though. Although the way we differ is the seed (no pun intended) of the technocentricity that keeps us apart as brothers. I would prefer to celebrate the diversity, rather than point it out.