PDA

View Full Version : Question about my new routine.

scotty1
11-26-2002, 04:51 AM
Hey ho

I'm shortly to be in China. With a new job to concentrate on, I don't know how often I'l be able to get to the gym, or whether I can buy home training equipment. I'm assuming I'll be able to get hold of a doorframe chin-up bar.

I'll be cycling every day (cardio, legs) and doing taiji and qigong everyday (also legs). For my upper body I'll be doing pushups and pull ups (chin ups). Obviously crunches will figure too.

So what's your opinion on doing 3 sets of the max number of pushups and 3 sets of the max number of pull ups I can do, every other day? Hopefully this will suffice as strength training for my upper body. I know I'm not going to pack on a huge amount of muscle but if I'm eating a protein rich diet I should produce and maintain a good shape. Right?

Oh yeah, and what difference does the rest period between sets make with calisthenics? I'm a skinny little ****er so losing weight is really not an option, esp. combined with diarhoea, which is inevitable.

Cheers, sorry for the long post.

If any clarification is needed, I'll be back in a couple of days.:)

Ford Prefect
11-26-2002, 08:20 AM
Hey bud,

Any work is good work. ;) There are so many different approaches to take with calesthenic work, so just find one that works for you and stick with it. Personally I liked doing pyramid super sets like: do 4 push-ups/1 pull-up; rest 30 seconds; do 5 push-ups/2 pull-ups; rest 30; repeat until you max and then work your way back down. But hey. That's me and everybody's different.

The amount of rest you take between sets will determine the level of intensity of your workouts. Rest only enough to catch your breath and recover. After 3 minutes, you will have recovered as much as you're going to without prolonged rest.

Have fun and good luck with the new job!

Suntzu
11-26-2002, 08:42 AM
get a book bag… fill it with books, weights whatever… do your chins, push up and the like… do 1 set with the weight… 1 st without and repeat… do your tai chi with the bag on… one of the coolest things I saw was this dude doing his form with a lil kid on his shoulders... and u know how kids are... "do it again, do it again..." so a few round of 'kid work' could be a killer... u might not have kids but u know whatimean...

45degree fist
11-26-2002, 11:36 AM
I have a very busy schedule and only have time for a quick workout so I choose 4 upper body techniques and 4 lower body and 3 ab techniques. I do one long set for each one every day.
This does not work for everyone but it does keep me in shape until my intense weekend workouts. This also lets you focus on form because you are not rushing anything out.

45degree fist
11-26-2002, 11:52 AM
I have a very busy schedule and only have time for a quick workout so I choose 4 upper body techniques and 4 lower body and 3 ab techniques. I do one long set for each one every day.
This does not work for everyone but it does keep me in shape until my intense weekend workouts. This also lets you focus on form because you are not rushing anything out.

SevenStar
11-26-2002, 02:18 PM
Remember to switch your program up every so often. If you need some ideas/vartiations, check out scrapper's workouts on www.trainforstrength.com

scotty1
11-29-2002, 06:00 AM
Thanks everyone, I'll just see how I feel, and what results come and go from there.