PDA

View Full Version : Hey Paul!

molum_jr
07-11-2000, 03:55 PM
Just visited one of the website that you contribute to (the one with the free .mov). I watched the double saber set performed by Lum Jo's son and HEY! Is it a Hung Gar weapon's set?

I saw the same set performed by Bucksam Kong in the late seventies... The only thing that it was known as a Choy Lay Fut Set called Mui Far Sheon Lung Do aka Plum Blossom Double Dragon Sabers.

Paul Skrypichayko
07-11-2000, 09:58 PM
Hi Molum. I've seen the mov and was rather impressed. I haven't learned the form yet, so I don't know if it is the real thing or not. If it is a hung gar weapon, the name should be "seung long do", double dragon broadsword. If you've heard the expression "hung tao, choy mei", you'll realize the huge similarities between the two styles. Lots of chinese kung fu, whether it's weapons, or barehand, is shared by more than one style. I was kinda shocked at first to see that Choy Lee Fut and other styles use the famous "Ng Long Bat Kwa Kwun" just like us.

Oh, I'm not really affiliated with that site, they surprised me by putting my name up there. They've just consulted with me a little, and used my help in editing their english.

You can email me privately if you like hung_ga @hotmail.com

Thanks

MoQ
07-12-2000, 12:40 AM
Hmmm... I was wondering about that site...

Anyway, sheung lung dao are in most complete systems in that they are part of the 18 classical weapons. The bat gwa gwun/bat bo gwun is in many southern styles and most likely comes from Li Ga, in that they were renown for staff.

Kung Lek
07-12-2000, 01:10 AM
Hi-

Would any of you mind posting the url in this thread?

I also would like to see.
thanks

peace

------------------
Kung Lek

Paul Skrypichayko
07-12-2000, 05:25 AM
Here you go =)
http://www.namkuen.com/

Constipated Wombat
07-12-2000, 04:39 PM
I think if you see Lum Jo's son performing it, it's probably a safe bet that it's been incorporated into Lum Jo's teachings, which would make it part of Hung Gar, yes? I mean, Wong Fei Hung learned the No Shadow Kick from a northerner but now it's part of Hung Gar as well. An art that sees something worthwhile and incorporates it is simply a smart system.

------------------
grrrrrrrrrr. grrrrrrrr..
arrrrgggggggggghhhhhhh... grrrrrrrr <PLOP>
Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh