PDA

View Full Version : MerryPrankster - NAGA Champion.

ShaolinTiger00
11-26-2002, 01:52 PM
No Gi Advanced Light Hvy Wt. 180 to 189.5 lbs-James Valentine - Lloyd Irvin

TTT stud! That's great news!

for those who don't know NAGA - north american grappling association, competetion- it was the largest in history.
1,191 competitiors!

apoweyn
11-26-2002, 02:11 PM
i'll second that. congratulations MP.

rubthebuddha
11-26-2002, 02:12 PM
sweet deal, marryp. that just kicks ass.

Suntzu
11-26-2002, 02:14 PM
wasn’t even gonna say anything, huh???:cool:
i guess i need to hurry up and win something...:(

ewallace
11-26-2002, 02:45 PM
Nice job MP. Maybe one of these days you'll test your skills against a resisting opponent.

count
11-26-2002, 02:48 PM
Congrats!

Xebsball
11-26-2002, 02:48 PM
lol :D ewallace

Congrats MerryP, btw if you come to the mundials next year let me know.

Ford Prefect
11-26-2002, 02:49 PM
Congrats, bro.

fa_jing
11-26-2002, 02:59 PM
YOU sUcK. gO lerN sommE CHI BlaSt

:cool:

SevenStar
11-26-2002, 03:08 PM
not too shabby! Makes me glad I'm not in your weight class ;)

SevenStar
11-26-2002, 03:11 PM
How many matches did you have?

Nevermind
11-26-2002, 03:30 PM
Congrats MP!

Shadowboxer
11-26-2002, 04:11 PM
I told you guys not to Fock with the Prankster!!

Congratulations and Happy Turkey day!!

- Shadow

TaoBoy
11-26-2002, 05:04 PM
Nice work big guy.

Now, give us the details of your triumph.

OneStrike
11-26-2002, 05:38 PM
****, that's quite an achievement.

OneStrike
11-26-2002, 05:42 PM
LOL @ the rude word.

Serpent
11-26-2002, 05:56 PM
He's just lucky there were no Dim Mak masters in the comp!

Way to go, big fella. Congratulations.

:)

rogue
11-26-2002, 06:39 PM
MP beat 1,190 opponents?:eek: Impressive, I would have punked out after 1,050!:D

That's really great MP and couldn't happen to a nicer guy or one that trains harder. :)

FatherDog
11-26-2002, 06:58 PM
Sincere congratulations, MP. I'm sure anyone who's read your posts realize that you've trained hard, and no one deserves it more.

Hope to see you at the NAGAWC in March! I'll be competing in the Intermediate division, unless something unexpected crops up between now and then. I'd love to meet and say hi if you have the time.

Volcano Admim
11-26-2002, 10:14 PM
buttplug

SevenStar
11-26-2002, 10:17 PM
Originally posted by Volcano Admim
buttplug

mad cuz you lost your very first match to him, huh?

Volcano Admim
11-26-2002, 10:21 PM
he pull down gi pants

Brad Souders
11-26-2002, 10:55 PM
Sounds like MP is keeping my belt clean for me til i start hitting the steroids. LMAO.... Good Job James i like to see SOS getting represented by their best. Congrats bro, Brad

PS: Eric and i where going to come down Monday but where to lazy to drive so when we gets ready to come down i'll give ya a holla.

SevenStar
11-26-2002, 11:50 PM
where da hell you been?

qeySuS
11-27-2002, 05:50 AM
**** that's crazy, good work.

Is that the same weight class as Jeremy Williams was in ?

guohuen
11-27-2002, 08:08 AM
Well done!:p

qeySuS
11-27-2002, 08:21 AM
whoops, never mind. Next Generation was at Grapplers Quest not NAGC :) (and hence no Jeremy Wiliams).

I see your instructor Lloyd got a special mention by Kipp Kollar (the event organizer) for being extra classy and thanking his ref (Kirik) for reffing the match, sounds like a classy guy, as well as a great teacher (obviously :) Since you won).

Chang Style Novice
11-27-2002, 08:43 AM
I wonder why he's not responding to the congratulations? (psst, add mine to the pile!) Could it be he's still hung over from the victory celebration?

Merryprankster
11-27-2002, 09:56 AM
Guys!

Sorry--I'm kind of travelling right now and since my girlfriend is looking over my shoulder and getting REALLLLLLLLLLLLLY bored watching me play on the internet, I'll have to post more about what happenned later.

In the meantime--thanks for the kind words and I promise I'll tell you all about it soon.

Thanks again.

James

ShaolinTiger00
11-27-2002, 10:39 AM
DP/PP !

- you had that coming..

Qi dup
11-27-2002, 10:41 AM
Hell yeah man, kick ass!

Merryprankster
11-27-2002, 10:45 AM
Yeah, so as soon as she says "When are you getting off the internet," she goes to "get ready." I'll have about 3 hours to myself now....

Anyway, I had three matches in no gi

I had somewhere between 8 and 12 people in my no gi division. The first match ended in sort of classic BJJ style- Duck under to Take down, guard pass, mount, failed choke to armbar. He tapped somewhere around minute 2, maybe sooner, maybe later. I don't remember what I took him down with. He claimed he never tapped :rolleyes:. This is pointless with me because I've learned the hard way that you hold the submission until the referee intervenes--you don't crank it any more, you just hold it (I am a little less aggressive with chokes for obvious reasons...)

In my second match, I was against a Renzo guy, so I knew he wouldn't be a pushover. I came out there, locked up with the guy, felt he wasn't a wrestler and instantly decided to make it a classic "wrestler vs. BJJ," match. I shucked him back and to the side, and took him down with a sweep single, tried to pass his guard, didn't make it, and sat back for the ankle lock. I felt him try the straight ankle on me (I am gifted with rubber ankles), and then he tried a heel hook. I spun out of that and stood back up. He followed me.

We clinched again and I hit him with a quick duckunder, but he put me in a guillotine that was good enough I had to fight out of it. I eventually got out and hit him with a clean duckunder to body lock and took him down with a back trip. I came up in his half guard. He tried to get to my back, but I already had his body blocked off with my arm. As I tried to pass he hooked me with a half-butterfly guard so I tried block and jump over pass, but missed--he got both legs inside and since I was riding high and loose, after a few twists and turns I stood up, and he followed me AGAIN.

This was probably about minute 4 or so, and he really started sucking wind. I was still going strong so I started bullying him around the mat to get inside his head a little bit, shucking him hard and driving him off the mat. Then I ran back to the center while he kind of.... shuffled.

I hit another duck under after a failed russian two on one tie up attempt and took him to the mat. I think I wound up in his half-guard again, and after some failed pass attempts on my part and some submission attempts on his, he had to turn out of something and stand to avoid a guard pass, so we wound up back on our feet.

He tried to stall here to catch his wind (smart move), but tried doing it from a muay thai style clinch. Bad mistake in a grappling only match--I ducked, took a half step back to stretch his arms out, posted his arms up hard and drove in for the double leg. I believe I wound up in his full guard. As I tried to pass to the side, he went for a submission series that ended in omo plata, but I defended, so he missed that and I think tried to transition to rolling knee bar, I felt him roll, and as he went, I rolled for omo plata instead of letting him get belly down. There were about 15 seconds left in the match, so I just held the position for the win.

The last match was against a fellow from Florida, and to be honest, I only remember a couple of things about that one:

1. I accidentally poked him in the eye when I was trying to post on his face to push him off.

2. When I had him in a tight armbar from the bottom, due to a misunderstanding about the rules I got slammed twice. My instincts kicked in, thank heavens, and I hooked under his leg before the third one... Perfectly legit in MMA, not so common in grappling tournaments. I wasn't mad at him, no hard feelings.

3. Somehow, during a transition, I got him in a triangle and finished the match. I thought at first that I didn't have it quite right, but I heard him gurgle, thought "What the heck," and just tightened my knees up right where they were.

Since this is a thread dedicated to my performance :D I also manged to place 2nd in the purple belt gi division, losing a close match in the finals to somebody who is apparently very good. I got beat because my guard passing skills are NOT up to snuff. Soooooo... back to the drawing board.

In three matches this weekend, my conditioning carried me through, without a doubt. So, for those of you who were interested in that circuit on the "train for fighting thread," I believe I posted it there.

Cheers!

James

Merryprankster
11-27-2002, 10:48 AM
LOL at ShaolinTiger!!

I tell you what bud--I'll try to get some pics of her in a Donkey Punch T-Shirt....

Stranger
11-27-2002, 12:00 PM
Excellent.

dre
11-27-2002, 12:05 PM
CONGRATUALIONS!!!!!!!