PDA

View Full Version : 18 martial skills and the Water Margin

sing fu
11-26-2002, 05:38 PM
The epic 'Water Margin (`)' is an incredible story, and includes depictions of a wide variety of weaponry. A variety of swords, sabres, staffs, spears, halberds, axes, flexible weapons, shields, forks etc are included, but I would like to ask: (1) what are the 18 skills recorded as in different historical periods? and (2) if you practice a traditional, comprehensive art today, what does your art consider the 18 skills?

Some of the skills/weapons featured in the Water Margin aren't seen today, and some skills/weapons in today's martial art aren't shown conversely in the classic epic.

SF

Shaolin Master
11-26-2002, 11:04 PM
Study the following styles :

Chuo Jiao (Piercing Foot)
Yan Qing Quan (YanQing's Fist)
Shui Hu Quan (Water Margin Fist)
Fan Zi Quan (Rotating Fist)

and you will know that all which is included in the novel is addressed in those chinese martial arts.

GeneChing
11-27-2002, 10:09 AM
JUL AUG 2002 (http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/magazine/article.php?article=234)

Serpent
11-27-2002, 04:37 PM
Originally posted by GeneChing
JUL AUG 2002 (http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/magazine/article.php?article=234)

$3.99 for a magazine and then $22.50 for shipping?! You have got to be f@cking kidding!

:eek: :mad: :eek:

joedoe
11-27-2002, 04:48 PM
LOL Serpent. :D

sing fu
11-27-2002, 04:52 PM
Gene,

Thanks for the heads up! I've gotta get that mag..:) It's pretty cool living in Japan, BUT.. we have no decent char siu / lup cheong here, we don't get Kungfu Qigong mag, and no decent char siu / lup cheong.. hang on - wrong order of priorities:p

Can something be done about those shipping rates? You guys must be using just one shipper. I know one uniform supplier in SF sent me some really good stuff by POST coz it was cheaper - can you guys explore these possibilities? Weapons and stuff are difficult to handle+heavy, but POST or something for video/VCD, and your mags would be great.

Otherwise, I gotta be patient for when my pals from the States come over with that edition!

Serpent
11-27-2002, 05:19 PM
Originally posted by joedoe
LOL Serpent. :D

Hey, it ain't funny. It's daylight bloody robbery. Gene must be wearing a stripey shirt and carrying around a large sack with SWAG written on it!

GeneChing
11-27-2002, 05:45 PM
You have to calculate for all the returns we get. Sometimes we have to pay 3x to 5x the shipping just to get a product out. It would be nice to be able to do it on a case-to-case basis, but our computer just would handle that. Most of our non-USA customers buy a big boatload of stuff to make it worthwhile.

Man, I wish I had a big bag of swag. I could do without the stripey suit though. Stripes make me look fat.

Serpent
11-27-2002, 06:07 PM
So that's it? No offers of a compromise, no options to make things better for your customers? Just too bad, that's the price.

US$30 for a magazine.

It's pretty disgusting. And suggesting that people buy a sh!tload of stuff from you just to make the shipping price more reasonable is a bit of a p!ss-take too, dontcha think?

I'd really like a copy of that magazine, but I'll be d@mned if I'll pay 5 times the magazine price in shipping alone.

Shame!

joedoe
11-27-2002, 07:18 PM
Originally posted by Serpent

Hey, it ain't funny. It's daylight bloody robbery. Gene must be wearing a stripey shirt and carrying around a large sack with SWAG written on it!

I dunno where you are living right now Serp, but we get the mag in some newsagents in Sydney. I don't know about back issues though.

Serpent
11-27-2002, 07:42 PM
Originally posted by joedoe

I dunno where you are living right now Serp, but we get the mag in some newsagents in Sydney. I don't know about back issues though.

Yeah, I know. But it's hard enough to find normally, let alone back issues.

I could produce my own magazine for the money Gene's charging for shipping! Grrrr! :mad:

Serpent
11-27-2002, 10:59 PM
Hey, Joedoe. What stores in the city do you know of that stock the mag? I might look for back issues there.

IT'S GOT TO BE BETTER THAN RE-MORTGAGING THE HOUSE TO PAY GENE'S SHIPPING RATES!

Shaolin Master
11-28-2002, 09:36 PM
Don't bother : No Offense to Gene and the crew but I have seen the magazine and the issue only presents the fictional story and its conceptualisation in addition to WuSong breaks manacles (from DaXingPigua). The QingPing Sword was a good read but all else well ...not so umph.

I mean why were'nt the styles I mentioned explained in the correlated atmosphere of the water margin. Or some key fictional events and their influencing in the quanpu of some arts.

As a simple example 'DaHu' posture is found in 70% of northern martial arts and its name from the WuSong event in the story when he killed the tiger.

Or "Yuen Yang Jiao" and its presence and connectin with Chu Jiao. Even Drunken WuSong. Also how about some factual origins of the styles relationship with novel (breaks manacles was not traced outlined adequately...nor was the player capable looking). Maybe about Shandong even.

Essentially which literary genius in the staff can analysis correlate discuss and evolve a series of articles that can maintain a theme whilst always ensuring the martial content. [Although I must commend them on other themes: Shaolin and Southern "Guangdong" arts seem very well presented but that is more than likely due to the background of the staff maybe variety is missing in the experience and expertise of staff]

Hey Serpent I am not in Aus but I'll be back for 2 weeks in July,2003 to visit family, if you want I'll "give" my copy or you can "photocopy" the relevant articles (oops do get permission from publishers though) :)

Serpent
11-28-2002, 09:51 PM
Originally posted by Shaolin Master

Hey Serpent I am not in Aus but I'll be back for 2 weeks in July,2003 to visit family, if you want I'll "give" my copy or you can "photocopy" the relevant articles (oops do get permission from publishers though) :)

It would be great of you could make me a gift of that issue! (It works for tax, so it must work for copyright! ;) )

e-mail when you can:

serpentfist@yahoo.com

Thanks very much.