PDA

View Full Version : Competition Push hands

Paul T England
11-27-2002, 02:08 AM
Hi Everyone,

I have just joined the list. First post. I practice Wing chun, 7 star mantis and yang tai ji.

I have been trying so of the fixed step push hands, like the competition format with my students. I have been having good results except when the students use fa jing/power.

So the question is, is this allowed in competition? and if not why?

sorry thats two questions.

TaiChiBob
11-27-2002, 05:32 AM
Greetings..

Competition push-hands are usually way too restricted to demonstrate the essence of the Art.. FaJing is not allowed to "protect" the inept.. yet, in the san shou arena full-contact is permitted.. As Tai Chi players we should welcome Fa Jing and Chin Na in competition, we should get beyond "fixed step" basics and explore the effectiveness of the Art.. How often does a street encounter remain "fixed"? Stationary push-hands is a beginning exercise, a good starting point.. but, fails to use 80% of the principles we train so hard to cultivate..

FaJing and ChinNa should both be included competitively, not to the point of severe injury, but sufficiently to demonstrate application and effectiveness.. this is where quality referees and judges are essential, to control force and rate application.. Well trained players can issue FaJing energy at lower levels such that the opponent feels the potential and the judges can see the application/effectiveness.. similarly, FaJing energy can be absorbed/neutralized as well as any other.. ChinNa can be executed to the level of controlling the opponent without ripping or tearing tissue.. and, tapping out is not "defeat", it is honoring your opponents accomplishments and training, just as it is whenever the opponent yields to you..

Tai Chi competition push-hands does much to aid the perception that Tai Chi is ineffective, it is time that we take it to the next level, let the spectators get a taste the real potential Tai Chi offers..

Sorry, i guess i got on my "soap-box" again..
Be well.. be real..

Liokault
11-27-2002, 09:31 AM
Who are you doing tai chi with and what competitions are you entering?

In my opinion competition push hands has little to do with push hands as an exersize but not only is jing alowed it should be in every movement that you make during push hands.

(By the way I used to be the UK push hands champ in fixed and moving step in my weight class to many times to count and european champ at once. have not entered a push hands comp since i became interested in san shou).

GLW
11-27-2002, 10:41 AM
for the rules used in most US competitions :

http://www.uswushuunion.com/

Paul T England
11-29-2002, 02:26 AM
Hi,

I train with Derek Frearson in Leicester, England (although I am based in Newcastle upon Tyne).

I have not entered PH comps but I have been playing around with the format with a couple of my guys in class.

Great fun...but I have found when someone uses a quick powerful burst of Jing, its difficult to respond!

Paul

p.s. I noticed my profile has me as a junior member! Well I am certainly an infant as far as taiji goes.....

Liokault
11-29-2002, 05:40 AM
Hi. paul

Will you be coming to the UK open in Oxford in i think April?

It will be held by Dan Docherty and its held in my home town for a very scary reason LOL.