PDA

View Full Version : Symmetry

S.Teebas
11-27-2002, 07:58 AM
What do you do if your doing weights or exercises, and one side can do more than the other? Should you only go as hard as the weak side so it looks even int he long run or do you just push each side as hard as you can dont care about if one sider is in better shape/bigger than the other side??

Ish
11-28-2002, 05:03 AM
i try to do an even amount on each side but sometimes if my right doesn't feel like its had enough of a workout i do a bit extra.

IronFist
11-29-2002, 01:23 AM
To me, symmetry is one of the most important things. I know some people who will train each side to its own limit. For example, they may be able to side press 60lbs on one side and 70 or 80 on the other, and they will train that way... using 60 on one side and 80 on the other. Personally, if it was me, if that much difference existed, I would train each side as high as the weaker side could go.

Make sense? I think symmetry is important.

IronFist

yenhoi
11-29-2002, 02:36 AM
"I read somewhere" that the healthy body has hormones it releases to keep the body fairly close to symetric (size.) So that one arm doesnt end up 10 inches larger then the other, etc.

As far as strength goes: Ironfist, the muscles on the right arm are obviously different from the left arm, so we should be able to target the arms individually and balance your strength out manually, right?

It be cool if someone did a different routine/cycle on each limb and posted their results.

Symmetry is definitly benificial when it comes to looks, I think its very important in a fight or sporting (just as important as being able to throw the same, good, technical jab or cross from either lead), its also important for health and safety, if your right arm has an abnormal strength advantage over the left arm then your left arm is at much higher risk of injury during any sort of training or even day-to-day activities.

dragontounge2
11-29-2002, 05:55 AM
Using a barbell will help even things out.

IronFist
11-29-2002, 09:26 PM
Actually, I think dumbells are better for that purpose. A barbell may allow one side to do more work than the other without you realizing it. With dumbells, each arm's effort becomes apparent.

IronFist

SevenStar
11-30-2002, 06:50 PM
yeah, definitely dumbells. And for triceps presses, you can use the single handle instead of the pressdown bar or rope.

" "I read somewhere" that the healthy body has hormones it releases to keep the body fairly close to symetric (size.) So that one arm doesnt end up 10 inches larger then the other, etc. "

I dunno. I have seen people with one leg a few inches bigger than the other. One woman I know works out every day and the difference is so noticible in her that you can tell when she's wearing shorts. She's not disfigured or anything, but if you stare at her legs, you can tell.

FatherDog
11-30-2002, 09:13 PM
Originally posted by SevenStar
She's not disfigured or anything, but if you stare at her legs, you can tell.

(Insert knowing comment about SevenStar staring at women's legs here.)

SevenStar
12-01-2002, 10:13 PM
ROFL!! I saw that coming. Actually, it was her boyfriend that told me to stare at them. He was saying that she wants to even both sides out and hasn't had any success. I'd never really paid attention to her legs, but as soon as he said something, I looked and it was immediately noticeable.