PDA

View Full Version : What is the proper way to use a choy li fut wooden dummy?

curious
07-13-2000, 05:18 AM
Could somebody please help me out here?

Paul Skrypichayko
07-13-2000, 09:10 AM
first step, find a master of choy li fut,

second step, get a dummy

third step, get the master to teach you

How come your questions are always so vague and general? How come you don't just go start learning something, that way more of your questions will be answerred.

Gwa Sow Chop
07-13-2000, 09:34 AM
Very Simple :-))

1. Approach the dummy......not toooooo close ;-)
2. Hit. (as per your Sifu's directions)
3. Repeat as necessary

CLFNole
07-13-2000, 08:29 PM
Outside from the obvious replies, various branches of Choy Lay Fut have different kinds of dummies and various forms for the dummies. Our wooden dummy which is different from the typical Wing Chun dummy is primarily used to develop arm strength, strong blocks and kicks, in addition to teaching footwork and to move in and out from your opponent/dummy (sometimes the same thing).

gwai-jai
07-14-2000, 01:51 AM
Which dummy are you talking about,you have the ching jong (good for arm conditioning & practising your blocks and stikes at full power),the horse power dummy (ma ha jong),the dragon penetrating dummy (for stance training),the saw bo Jong (a heavy flat sand bag),take your pick.

Kung Lek
07-14-2000, 06:07 AM
well... you use it to learn about yourself.

kidding. there is a regimen as well as various methods in using any wooden man as prescribed by various systems (hence the variety of wooden men as each adheres to the principles of the system that contains the regimens to train on them).

The safest way to learn how to use one is to learn from someone else who is proficient with there use and is willing to teach you, just like anything else.

peace

------------------
Kung Lek

curious
07-18-2000, 05:48 AM
I would like info about how to use all of the dummies you mentioned. Also, I have read that you should never hit a dummy with ful force. I like to be informed about body conditioning methods before I actually start doing them. It may be too late to protect myself from permanent damage if I start training first.

gwai-jai
07-20-2000, 12:53 AM
It is the Wing Chun Mook Jong that is not hit at full force not the Choy Lee Fut Woooden dummy(the ching jong in perticular) is designed for striking full force other wise you are not conditioning your forearms and fists for impact when hitting and blocking your opponent. Oh and you never attempt to do advanced body conditioning with out an instuctor present because you don`t know what damage you are doing to your self.
p.s.if you want to know about the mook jong ask a Wing Chun practitioner.

curious
07-20-2000, 01:27 AM
I have read that there is no safe way to condition your fists, and the only safe ways to condition your forearms is either through dynamic tension or blocking against a partner.

gwai-jai
07-20-2000, 02:27 AM
Dynamic is good for strengthening your forearms muscles and tendons. wooden dummy practice can be used to not to kill the pain in the forearm but to toughen and deaden the pain slightly.