PDA

View Full Version : MMA guy's question on Qi Gong material

MA fanatic
11-28-2002, 12:27 PM
Hi guys.
I'm not a Qi Gong practitioner, but had been reading
about it for many years. Recently I met a woman who was diagnosed with MS 10 years ago. Her illness progressed quickly until she joined something called Iron Chi Kung (I may be confusing the name) class. Now, 3 years later, she is symptom free. That amazes me. I also keep reading adds in black belt magazine about some Sil Lum course from Indonesia which promisses physical results in as little as 2 weeks. Is all this possible? If so, I would love to obtain some video or literary training aids. Which are the best videos and/or books to start with? What will give me fastests results. (Forgive me if I'm thinking like a MMA-er. I have been practicing external arts for years, and never really explored the internal martial arts for health and healing, so may come across as ignorant in that area.) Thanks.
MA fanatic

ZIM
11-28-2002, 02:28 PM
There's a lot of different things in here.

Is the "short course" the Wong kiew kit (sp?) one? I'm not familiar with it, but that might clarify for others who are.

One thing: did you ask the woman how long it took for her to get those results? maybe talk to her in more depth about it? just asking...

next: as its always said (and for a reason): videos and books won't help that much for +true+ learning. It's just something you've gotta feel and do, like getting info on MAs from a book versus slamming someone down- different! One thing to try, if you can- go to a trad. chinese doctor and ask about it. hopefully, he/she can help find you a good qiqong teacher with specific goals tailored for you.

last: do you have specific goals? illnesses? Maybe someone on here can give advice?

Gobble gobble hey! happy t-day! :D

MA fanatic
11-28-2002, 09:03 PM
The woman I mentioned has had MS for 11 years. I realize symptoms of MS have a tendency to disappaer and reappear after while. For all I know, she could be in temporary remission. But, she did mention that members of her Iron Chi Kung class have been practicing this form for many years. Some have been diagnosed with terminal illness in the past. My question was more research based. I realize that results of training in any martial art forum varies from person to person. Also, nothing beats actual practice under the guidance of an instructor. I just wanted some book or video to read more about the various chi kung/qigong schools, methods, exercises. Thanks
MA fanatic

sweaty_dog
11-28-2002, 10:19 PM
Chi gong is good. I don't think 2 weeks would do a whole lot, especially since most people say you should start slowly. I like B K Frantzis's water method as far as what is out there in books goes, it is quite simple and easy to follow. You can get his books at www.energyarts.com. I have learned some iron shirt which was OK and some taoist chi gong which was tricky but also good from actual teachers, but I really like the water method. Tai Chi is good too, it is a lot like a chi gong when done properly.

ZIM
11-29-2002, 03:05 AM
Some background here (http://www.alchemicaltaoism.com/) , since you're saying you want to research.

You should give a look to Yang Jwing Ming's books too, and look up Black Taoist's posts for some reality checks- there's some he11a lot of BS out there.

FWIW I agree that 2 weeks isnt much time. Think what you could teach MMA wise in that time- do you think they'd be trained? or just starting out with a good basis? or just confused? Youd just scratch the surface.

More info on water tradition can be gotten thru the taoist water tradition egroup on yahoo, if you want. Its not bad! :) [trolls not invited]

MA fanatic
11-29-2002, 05:20 AM
Thanks guys. I took down the sites and do some research on that. All this stuff facinates me.
MA fanatic

dezhen2001
11-30-2002, 05:34 AM
great to see your interested :)

Qigong has helped me a lot, but i think the best way as with anything is to find someone qualified and experience for yourself. i dont really think a book can give u more than theory and background, the same for MA really.

just dont get too caught up in all the hype and practise to get the results... the same as with any good skill :)

dawood

Former castleva
11-30-2002, 08:36 AM
Cannot resist posting on this even though I have been asking questions on qi-gong as you may see. ;)

Well if you are to do qi-gong by yourself with the instruction of a book or tape I´d suggest you to pick something simple which can be told by the author(s) to be practiced safely if done properly.
Yang Jwing Ming as already mentioned has some good stuff out there but I do not think he is alone.
Search and ask and study on this a bit.

Besides,it is generally speaking safer to do wai dan ("external" type chi-gong) than nei dan (internal) because it is relatively easier and a lot safer to start with.
Take this into consideration,especially if studying on your own.
Wai dan I think,can be very,very good and high on internal results,I´m not saying it would only bring external results.

MA fanatic
11-30-2002, 01:04 PM
I'm interested because I love all martial arts in general. My training consists of kick boxing (Muay Thai) sparring and ground grappling. I practiced other arts in the past. I enjoy this type of training becuase I emediately know where I stand and what my body can do. There are no questions which kicks and punches work for me. Just like there are no questions which submissions and ground grappling positions work well for my skill and body shape. Also also get emediate feedback as to what I absolutely stink at, and what techniques I fall prey to.

But, I enjoy all arts. I would just as well watch an MMA match as a Tai Chi push hands competition, or a Sumo match. I read so much about qigong, and heard it mentioned in so many martial arts specials (not to mention repeatedly have it brought up in the hospital where I work by patients and doctors alike), that I decided to do some research and give it a shot. I do have another question though:

Some of you guys said that qigong can injure you if you don't practice it properly. I suppose that makes sense. But, what sort of internal injuries could I sustain? I'm just curious. As for the information you guys suggested I look into, I"m doing that today.
MA fanatic

Former castleva
11-30-2002, 04:58 PM
I searched trough this forum and came up with these.

http://forum.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=15841

http://forum.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=12575

http://forum.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=5004

There might be more but this covers a great deal.
Tight muscles,organ and element related deficiencies or rise in certain types of "element" or qi.
Just some of my ideas,it has been noticed though that death may follow in worst cases. :eek: I have no idea how,this has to do with some high level chi-gong probably kept secret.

dezhen2001
12-01-2002, 07:55 AM
i know from my own experiences and also common sense that a few things can happen. with any physical activity you have to only go as far as you can, and some qigong forms can be quite challenging.

As for something rather powerful and more demanding physically like hard qigong, of course you can injure yourself physically, but also in other ways. Maybe someone who knows chinese medicine can explain more? i only know from a friends experiences that he didnt end the training in the correct way and became more and more jumpy, nervous and even aggressive, rather than his usual centred self. He also suffered from insomnia and other things, because he hadnt relaxed and centred himself properly.

another reason for why its good to have a teacher is basically because you may actually be doing the movement wrong. for example: i looked at my Sigungs book and tried training from it before i met him. The pictures and text were very clear, but even then i was doing things a little bit differently, and not as natural and efficiently as i should have been.

just some thoughts and experiences :)
dawood

MA fanatic
12-03-2002, 05:29 AM
Interesting posts. See, with external exercises I know just by looking at the exercise approximately which injury I may get. I also, after 17 years of MA practice, weight lifting, and being engaged in other sprots. pretty much know if I'm doing a particular exercise or technique wrong. But, with this internal stuff, I have no idea what the outcome would be. Will I just become lethargic or get some desease, etc. etc. That's why I asked. I'll read up some more before practicing anything, and probably check out the local QiGong center. I think I'll also get some names of who runs another Iron Shirt Chi Kung school near where I live.
MA fanatic

MA fanatic
12-04-2002, 04:36 AM
Yeah, you guys are probaby right. Better get someone to teach me rather than practice anything myself. I don't want problems, and i don't want to learn incorrectly. That wouldn't make sense from a physical and financial stand point. Thanks