PDA

View Full Version : In what ways could software help run your school?

Excession
11-28-2002, 11:44 PM
Hi

This query is directed at those who currently or have in the past, run a martial arts school, of any size.

I'm developing a software program to help manage martial arts schools and would like your thoughts on the following.

What takes up an inordinate amount of your time?
What information would you like to have easily accesible?
Would you feel more comfortable if emailing, reports and other document manipulation was done in an environment you already use eg outlook express, word?(As opposed to through a custom programme)
What do you feel are the shortcomings in the current crop of these systems?
What would you be willing so spend on the above functionality?

From enquiries I've made:
Most time is spent keeping track of student accounts.
Information on student accounts and retention is most valued.
The majority of instructors would prefer using tools they are already familiar with.
They provide limited functionality in comparison to cost, but don't mind paying if the cost to functionality ratio is right.
Amounts up to R1500 were quoted.

I appreciate your responses.

Laughing Cow
11-28-2002, 11:56 PM
Excession.

I think there are already generic packages out there specific for MA-Schools that keep track of:
enrolment
payments
grades/belts
print certs
etc.

Most of those will be needed only for schools with a large student base or rank structure.
Most Sifu I know use simply a Notepad.

All the best in your venture.

P.S.: Do a Google search for MA+ Software & Dojo+Software, you will find quiet a bit out there.

Excession
11-29-2002, 05:32 AM
Thanks

I've done that, but I just wanted to find out how instructors felt about them in general. They're not the hottest topic, so generally the only readily available views on them are from the distributors/programmers themselves.

In SA there are an increasing number of schools with large student bodies and, as far as I know, no South African software. Instructors I've spoken to seemed keen, but we all know how they can exaggerate things :)