PDA

View Full Version : Old style Boxing and the internal arts

azwingchun
11-29-2002, 12:19 PM
I have a student who had asked me about old style boxing compared to the internal arts such as Xing Yi. I remember a few years ago an article that was written in a martial arts magazine about this topic. Does anyone know where I can find this on the web? It was comparing the upright posture and strikes of boxing to some of the internal arts (if my memory serves me correctly), any help would be appreciated. Thanks.;)

HuangKaiVun
11-29-2002, 02:55 PM
There's a lot of stuff in old style internal boxing that can be applied to the boxing ring.

High punches, uppercuts, body blows - all are the province of good ol'fashioned Hsing Yi Quan.

That's not to say that a Hsing Yi Quan boxer is a Western one and vice versa, but there's a lot of stuff that can be cross-applied.

A body blow is a body blow, regardless of lineage or style.

azwingchun
11-29-2002, 03:48 PM
I agree. But there was a very specific article written on this, I was trying to find it for my student. It was written maybe 4-5 years ago.;)

bglenn
11-29-2002, 04:12 PM
As far as that article goes dont have a clue !Just wondering how far back are you talking about going in terms of boxing.I have a boxing manual from1940.This is and excerpt from Boxing by Edwin L. Haislet "...Straight hitting is based upon an understanding of body structure and the value of leverage.It is an attempt to use body weight in every blow,hitting with the body,the arms being merely the vehicle of force.Arm action alone is insufficent to give real power to blows....."In this book they punch with a vertical fist.

azwingchun
11-29-2002, 05:49 PM
I believe the boxing description, was reffering to the late 1800. Though it has been awhile since I read it. Thanks.;)

Wingtsun
11-29-2002, 11:52 PM
http://www.ahfaa.org/unarmed.htm

azwingchun
11-30-2002, 09:28 AM
No, that isn't it. But thanks anyway, it's pretty interesting stuff. Thanks.;)