PDA

View Full Version : anyone else practice wudang?

GunnedDownAtrocity
07-20-2000, 01:27 AM
i never hear alot about wudang and was just curious if anyone else on the forum was in the style. id like to compare notes with someone about their wudang school.

MaFuYee
07-20-2000, 01:51 AM
i think:
"wudang" is a religous sect. - not a particular style of kung fu. just as "shaolin" is not a 'style' of kung fu, as wing chun would be, or hung ga, or _______.

taoism -> wudang
buddhism -> shaolin

sometimes as a colloquialism, the term wudang is used to refer to such arts as tai chi, hsing-i or bagua.

if you want to discuss these arts, post your questions on the Internal Arts discussion room.

* ask specific questions, otherwise i will be forced to tell you how my style is the best.
(and then refuse to back it up with any sort of reasoning. hahahah)

GunnedDownAtrocity
07-20-2000, 07:39 AM
that is strange, i understand what your saying and i thought that to be the case. but when i asked my sifu what style we were studying he simply replied wu dang. he said that it was a mix of northern and southern stlyes. i have to admit he wierds out sometimes though. i have absolutely no doubts about his ability . . his students are bad ass for one (i dont mean black belts either hehe) and i have heard nothing but good things about him from everyone in the valley. perhaps he is crazy.

[This message has been edited by GunnedDownAtrocity (edited 07-20-2000).]

MoQ
07-20-2000, 08:20 AM
Wu Tang, Wudong, etc. is a name of some mountains in the NE China. Like E'mei, Ermei, Ngor Mei Mts. in the SW, they were known for their Taoist temples and arts... There are traditions based in the Modong Mts. too...

Constipated Wombat
07-20-2000, 06:19 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by MaFuYee:
sometimes as a colloquialism, the term wudang is used to refer to such arts as tai chi, hsing-i or bagua.[/quote]

Which I've always found interesting, as Taiji comes from Chen village (tho where Chen Wangting learned his stuff is still open for debate), Bagua surfaced in Beijing (tho Dong Hai Chuan learned from someone in "the mountains"), and Xingyi is often linked with Yue Fei tho evidence points to it preceeding him substantially.

What's interesting if you look at this though is that, as far as we can tell, none of the arts come from Wudang. Where the link seems to be, to me, is that there is a major taoist temple on Wudang and that the philosophies are often linked to said temple.

There IS of course, a very romantic story of Zhang San Feng creating a taoist boxing style there. The only trouble is that there is no evidential link between that and any of the modern styles.

tricky-fist
07-20-2000, 07:35 PM
Uhm, there is a Wudang martial arts school in Taiwan that has managed to spread their students all over the world... one teacher is in Ottawa, I think Adam Hsu trained in the Wudang Taiwan school and I just met another guy who teaches down in NY.

The curriculum usually consists of Northern Mantis (I forget which kind), Chen Tai Chi, Baji and then other misc. styles which escape me now (Northern Shao-lin styles, Hung-Gar, Bagua maybe)...

Could this be what your teacher means?

------------------
Art is limitation; the essence of any picture is the frame - G.K Chesterson

wisdom mind
07-20-2000, 07:36 PM
I know of a couple of Wusu Sifus from the Omei area that are "new agey", and this tends to give the appearance of wierdness as students idolize the Sifu as he was not man, and they can perform tricks that look inhuman.

to each they izz-own

GunnedDownAtrocity
07-20-2000, 08:42 PM
mafuyee . . now that i think about it i had been looking through some old kung fu magazines a few months back. one of the articles was the top 100 styles of kung fu. wu dang was listed in that article as a style.

wisdom mind . . . that actually does sound like my teacher. he has been known to do some pretty unbelievable shi . . eh . . stuff from time to time.

tricky fist . . i think your right. he didnt mention the northern mantis, but he said that wu dang was pretty much a mut stlye of differant arts. mut style being my words not his though.

Paul Skrypichayko
07-20-2000, 11:48 PM
MoQ, wudang, wu-tang, and modong are all one and the same. Modong is just the cantonese name for it.

Wudang as a holy mountain and a group of temples has been around for hundreds and hundreds of years. Kung fu became associated with it when Zhang San Feng left shaolin and created taijiquan and wudang martial arts at the purple summit temple on wudang shan.

People colloquialized wudang in the past to mean the three major internal arts as well (taiji, bagua, and xingyi), but this is pretty inaccurate.

ChanMan
07-22-2000, 09:03 AM
Since we're talkin about kung fu mountains anyway. What are some of the famous styles formed in Kunlun, Ngor-Mei, and Wah San? I think Kunlun these three were known for they sword skills, but what else???