PDA

View Full Version : Pressure points and Chakras

eulerfan
11-30-2002, 03:12 PM
I am really curious about how these two relate to one another. Is there overlap? Do they generally describe the same thing only have two different origins? Are they completely different? Does anybody have any idea?

Confidential to the mods: I know very little about these concepts so was really unsure about where to put this. Feel free to move this thread if you think it appropriate.

SevenStar
11-30-2002, 04:07 PM
I don't think chakras are the same - my understanding of chakras (which is limited to a few articles I read a few years ago) that they are not physical - they are energy centers in the body. There are only seven of them.

mantis108
11-30-2002, 04:17 PM
Chakras, East Indian in origin, are energy centers that govern important function of the person. There are about 6-7 of them (depending on the school) along the central Nadi (kind of a meridian) of the person. Blockage of these prevents the person from achieving higher consciousness. To pierce throught these blocked energy center, the powerful energy at sleep within the person that is known as Kundalini needs to be awaken.

Pressure points, Chinese in origin, are not really in the same capacity as Chakras, although some major points are found in the proximity of the Chakras. Having said that Indian and Chinese energy work theories are remarkablely similar.

Mantis108

Former castleva
11-30-2002, 04:31 PM
I second that.
Chakras are for Indians :) (I canīt remember exactly but Tibetan medicine might deal with these too)
You can hear about chakras in yoga as an example.
Indian medicine shares something in common with Chinese medicine.
Indian medicine also talks about meridians (pressure points/chi channels) but in Indian medicine they do have 24 meridians compared to generally accepted 12 meridians of Chinese medicine which is extremely interesting.
Indian martial arts use plenty of pressure points attacks too similar to those of other Asian arts and also heal with them.

To point out some points:
In Chinese medicine:
-12 meridians+6 extra meridians which are used but not as well known.
-8 main/chi vessels
-talk about 365 acupoints and another set of "modern" 365 acupoints of the body.It can be said there are over a thousand points (may someone show their own opinions or better ideas on this)
-while in Indian medicine there are seven chakras,there are 3 main "Elixir fields" in Chinese medicine,qi-gong,MA etc.
Those are forehead (upper dan tien=elixir field) stomach/solar plexus area (middle dan tien) and lower dan tien-lower abdomen below navel.

It is interesting to realize that upper dan tien is also an extra meridian (between eyebrows) and is also treated as a chakra in Indian medicine (and Tibetan if I remember correctly) In both systems there is this understanding that to have this point open does open a more refined conciousnes (I think this has been discussed in a more scientifical manner,relating to brain)
Middle dan tien and lower dan tien are also both around those very same areas that Indian medicine follows as chakras.

Braden
11-30-2002, 07:03 PM
http://www.medicalacupuncture.org/aama_marf/journal/vol6_1/chakra.html

TkdWarrior
11-30-2002, 08:20 PM
hmm chakra doesn't overlap with pressure points..chakra to indians r same as Chi to chinese(not in terms of meaning or anything)both just got over hyped ;)
if i say chakra is hypothetical spiritual energy source then i wouldn't be much wrong in it...
there r basically 7 chakra
1.at the end of spine
2. around crotch area
3. just 2 fingers up from 2nd chakra
4. navel
5. throat
6. between the eyebrows...
7. top of head(baihiu point as in chinese??)
as such for normal ppl they don't effect in any terms but as u go higher in understanding n sipirtualilty this engergy source get energised n provide u with some powers n strenght..
i.e the first chakra gives u self healing powers, first u don't get ill even if u get, it will heal...
2nd will expand healin powers + some super power(much in terms of sixth sense(not movies);) etcetc)
it' is said that when 7th is open u can go beyond the life n death beyond y'day n present n tomorrow...means u r free from everything ..
most ppl can get their first 3 chakras open...not much...n those who get more chakra open they'll go beyond materialist levels(so they don't come in much open)
n first chakra takes around 2 weeks to 3-4 months to open, the time gaps can expand or shrink due to person...

-TkdWarrior-

eulerfan
11-30-2002, 10:13 PM
Thanks for taking the time to reply, guys. This explains it for me.

Former castleva
12-01-2002, 04:09 AM
To be overly specific,"prana" is indian for chi.

TkdWarrior
12-01-2002, 06:05 AM
"To be overly specific,"prana" is indian for chi."
aha...i missed that..didn't i :D
prana is basically meant as "life giving breath" or "life giving energy" it's close to Chi n i m still wondering about Chi :D
-TkdWarrior-

Braden
12-01-2002, 10:17 AM
I'm not sure about that... baihui and huiyin are certainly very important.

David Jamieson
12-01-2002, 10:26 AM
prana = breath

chakras and meridians do not overlap exactly.

ayur vedic medicine has many differences from tcm.

ayur vedism (body knowledge) is considerably more esoteric on many levels with a lot more emphasis placed on "spiritual" being than physical being.

There are 9 chakras, they are:

Surya - located at the solar plexus level

manipura - located at the belly button level

svadhishthana- located at the base of the pubis bone

muladhana - located between the genitals and anus

anahata -located at the heart level

vishuddha - located at the throat level

lalata - located at the base of the palette in the mouth

ajna - located at the middle eye, in the middle of the brow

sahasrara - located at the crown of the head

each chakra is a different energy pool that effects you spirtually, sexually, emotionally and manifest themselves as physical phenoimenon such as high energy or low energy.

chakra do not become "blocked" like chi meridians, they always are there either pulsating or quiesant.

similarity comes in the directing of breath to these pools to induce pulsation and ultimately the physically manifest results of that pulsation.

each chakra is indeed a very sensitive target for striking. But, they are not what I would define as "pressure points". They are more like "vulnerable seats"

they map a little more closely to the 3 celestial centres or dan tien as found in tcm and tcma.

anyway, there is much deeper information regarding ayur vedism at your fingertips. take the time. :D make the time. There are corresponding sounds to use while in meditation or yogic posture which in turn cause the chakras to pulsate which in turn has affectation and effect on the physical and mental being.

peace

Braden
12-01-2002, 10:36 AM
That's true...

I just think you have to be careful comparing two different systems of classification that involve potentially overlapping (and potentially vague) things like energy pools vs energy points vs energy pathways vs energy gates vs places you exchange energy with the outside world. Specifically I mean you can't expect 'categories of things' to be maintained across systems. For instance, baihui is certainly attributed with many of the things the crown chakra is, despite it being spoken about as being a point rather than a pool.

BTW, for the lazy or uninterested, the article I linked up has a seemingly precise list of corrospondances between chakras and chinese nomenclature at the end.

prana
12-03-2002, 11:02 PM
eh ? someone called ? oh no, you guys finally discovered I am all wind :D

*pooot*

dezhen2001
12-03-2002, 11:12 PM
hey prana :)

dawood