PDA

View Full Version : How much bagwork?

Dedication
11-30-2002, 04:13 PM
Heres what i do on bagwork, it takes about an hour.

480 round kicks (alternating)
180 thrust kicks (alternating)
180 1-2 punches ( so 360 total)
180 hooks (alternating)
60 sidekicks (alternating)

I also lift and do lots of pushups everyday......so is that not enough or.....?

SevenStar
11-30-2002, 06:17 PM
It's not that much as far as a workout goes - I used to throw 500 of each of those kicks, and 1000 punches.

You don't really give us any details though - what are you trying to accomplish with your workout.

Dedication
11-30-2002, 09:35 PM
Power, hitting power. All of that is into a heavy bag. 500 of each kick and 1000 of each punch? How long did that take you?

SevenStar
12-01-2002, 01:35 AM
I train about three hours per day. My focus has changed, however, since I'm doing a lot of grappling now. What does your weight training consist of?

Dedication
12-02-2002, 08:53 PM
I do an explosive routine for bench

8 sets of 165 (3 reps as explosive as i can) with 45 seconds in between sets

1 set 195 10 times for the hell of it

3 sets barbell curls 40lbs (10x 30 seconds between sets)

3 sets of forearm curls (both ways 2 seconds a rep for 10 reps) (30 seco9nds between sets)

3 sets 10 pullups

3 sets 50 pushups (30 seconds between sets.

SevenStar
12-05-2002, 02:26 PM
With your bench, it seems like you are going after size and not power. for power, you should be lifting heavy with low reps, not 8 sets of a moderate weight. Here's my bench routine:

1-2 sets 135 10 reps

from there, it's right to the heavy stuff

2-3 sets of 245 - 5 reps

after that, I do a little more, sorta along the lines of Pavel's Bear workout

1 set 225 - a few reps short of failure
2 sets 195 - a few reps short of failure.

You don't need big biceps for power either. I do 2 sets of dumbell curls at 50 lbs. for 5 - 7 reps. It's not for ower though, more of a vanity type thing.

For power, you really only need

bench press
deadlift
squat

I do more exercises than these three, but for what you are looking for, that's all you need. maybe some military presses - I like those.

keep the pullups. if you can do 150 pushups with only 1.5 mins total rest, that's impressive.

Dedication
12-09-2002, 08:09 PM
No, my bench routine is not for size. ANd i dont mean max out power either. Explosive power is what the fighters use (my bench routine is based off of k1's Mirko Crocop)

The Explosive bench is designed to create that explosiveness in the muscles to make the punches hard.

I am about 140, but if i lifted for size and didnt do endurance i could be about 170.

TY on the pushups ive been doing em for a WHILE

SevenStar
12-10-2002, 12:26 PM
1RM max = recruiting more fibers to explode the weight up

exploding a lighter weight for several reps = recruiting fibers (but not as many) to explode the weight up.

both will help explosion, but by lifting heavy, I would have the ability to recruit more fibers and make them contract harder.

by lifting light, you would have more endurance.

Some of the most explosive guys around are powerlifters.

Dedication
12-11-2002, 08:00 PM
Yes i know what youre saying, but the routine i do is based for fast twitch fibers.

No a 1 rep max is usually not done explosively because its the most you can do.

While 3 reps at 65% of your 1 max rep can be done extremely explosive, thus making more fast twitch fibers.

You will also notice some of the best powerlifters use the routine i do (Westside Routine) and it is the same routine as k1 and MMA phenom Mirko Fillopovich :)

yenhoi
12-12-2002, 09:43 PM
Hrm, random weightlifting aside:

How often do you do this bag routine? Do you just sit there and pump out 240 round kicks on each side, then move onto the punches, or what? Looks downright boring, but you need more, unless this is a routine you do everyday, then it needs better variety.

Currently I do nearly all my training in rounds. Do you do any other hitting? Hitting focus gloves, or thai pads w/partner? Live sparring? Wall bag or tire? In other words, is this all you do to get your technique reps in? If so, its rightly not enough.

I cant imagine standing infrot of a bag just lobbing kicks at it until I hit 480. BORING! But do what you have to do to to get your reps in. Also, if your intent is power, 99% of power is timing, so you might want to also look at how much time your spending with live - moving - partners.

Water Dragon
12-13-2002, 08:00 PM
I like rounds as well. What I do, is choose just one or two techniques a day, and maybe a combo and drill it. Then I'll do couple rounds freeplay.

I have limited training time, and I've found that it is better to do one or two things to exhaustion, than a bunch of techs to the same result. When you do 1 tech until you are exhausted, the muscle memoery is learned better. You just don't do each tech each day. The freeplay keeps you crisp.

Dedication
12-16-2002, 01:45 PM
i do this every weekday

heres the order: ill do a set of 80(alternating round kicks) , then 30 1-2's 10 hooks to each side and another 30 1-2's......thats one set.

I do that 7 times. Then i move onto thrust kicks with the above mentioned punching procedure in between my thrust kick sets. Then i move onto sidekicks (4 sets of 15 with each leg now) and i do forarm conditioning (with metal bar) in between the first two sets, and 20 plyo pushups between the next two sets.

I am going to add some speed kicking drills in today as well

Yes it does get boring going for an hour nonstop but its a good workout in addition to all the other stuff i do.

Yenhoi, i do other stuff like sparring or padwork in class, it just depends on the day, hopefully i am going to have a weekly sparring partner outside of class soon though.