PDA

View Full Version : the Origin of the NAME Jeet kune Do

The Willow Sword
12-01-2002, 09:28 PM
The ORIGIN of the NAME Jeet kune do
A fellow martial arts enthusiast was talking to me today and HE brought up an interesting question;"When did Bruce Lee actually start calling his art Jeet june do?" we pondered and finally my fellow enthusiast said " Now he made a movie in thailand called fists of fury(formerly titled "The big Boss) My friend and i both speak and understand a little thai and he made this rather interesting discovery: Jeet in the thai language (pronounced "Yeet") Means F^CK! and "KUNE" in the thai language (pronounced kun) Means "YOU" and of course "DO" is japanese for "way" so could it be that Bruce was joking around knowng that back then and still today there are very few westerners that know thai? his art loosely translated means
The "WAY" to "f^CK "YOU". or a more formal translation the "Way to f^ck you up".

Any Comments on this rather astounding discovery?

TWS

:D :D

joedoe
12-01-2002, 09:39 PM
Yes. Don't ever consider becoming a comedian, or a translator :D

dnc101
12-01-2002, 10:29 PM
Willow, I have my doubts. But it's an interesting take. Have you considered therapy?

Serpent
12-01-2002, 10:41 PM
Hey Willow Sword, can you translate this:

uoy rea a uckingf watt.

;)

The Willow Sword
12-01-2002, 10:54 PM
Dnc101; sawadee kahp. Yes. my therapy is this forum.;)

serpent: upll het kcor tuo fo yrou ssa! lighten up dood.:rolleyes:

Serpent
12-01-2002, 11:05 PM
Originally posted by The Willow Sword
serpent: upll het kcor tuo fo yrou ssa! lighten up dood.:rolleyes:

Hey, I am lightened up. That was a gag. I hate Bruce Lee. He was a punk ass b!tch. I think Jeet Kune Do means Way of The Fairly Average Martial Artist That Got Lucky With Timing. ;)

Sho
12-02-2002, 03:51 AM
Hehe. Interesting discovery. But the name is completely Chinese. "Do" doesn't mean "way" in only Japanese and Korean - it's also Chinese! :)

Former castleva
12-02-2002, 06:52 AM
"The way of intercepting fist",it used to be but maybe this was Bruce´s hidden joke that has not been revealed until now. ;)

BTW,Willow Sword,
Where have you learned thai and why?
Must be a rare language as said...

The Willow Sword
12-02-2002, 08:01 AM
i have volunteered at the thai buddhist temple here in Austin and i know several of austins premier thai chefs. also,,i have a very good friend who is thai. i also used to work in a small family owned thai resteraunt. thats where i know how to speak a little thai.:)

Former castleva
12-02-2002, 11:16 AM
I see,that explains plenty.

NorthernMantis
12-02-2002, 12:02 PM
Originally posted by Sho
Hehe. Interesting discovery. But the name is completely Chinese. "Do" doesn't mean "way" in only Japanese and Korean - it's also Chinese! :)

I thought tao meant the way? Jeet kune do is in cantonese and actually means quick fist knife if you read it litteraly.:D

Former castleva
12-02-2002, 02:20 PM
Well,tao/dao does mean the way,or related expression...even "head" will do.
Interesting points of chinese...

Sho
12-03-2002, 09:46 AM
Tao is Mandarin.

cho
12-03-2002, 01:55 PM
I think the "do" there is Cantonese. "kune" is actually spelled kuen. In mandarin tao is way and chuan is fist.

Sam
12-03-2002, 06:59 PM
Bruce's favorite form was Jeet Kune which is taught in Ying Jow Pai Northern Eagle claw. Bruce performed the chain kick of this form in Enter the Dragon.