PDA

View Full Version : military black belts

SevenStar
10-09-2001, 04:05 PM
The marines have put in place a 12 million dollar training program which teaches MA to the marines, looking to make them all black belts. This takes eclecticism™ (I think I made up a new word) to a new height - the article I read referred to an intructor who was proficient with particular dim mak strikes, and another who preferred knives. It sounds like they are taking their MA experience and military tactics and creating theif own style, similar to the chinese lien bu chuan style. Their aim is to make a "gentleman warrior".

Coincidentally, I have a friend that is getting ready to ship off to boot camp, and I'm going to PT with him this saturday. I'm going to ask the drill instructor about it.

"You ain't got enough calcium to have a bone to pick wit me,
like a Gracie, I'll choke a ***** out wit his own gi" - Rass Kass

Snake
10-09-2001, 04:10 PM
I read an article about this a number of months back, and you are correct, they are basically creating their own style. From what I could gather, the General in charge of this program is big into Martial Arts (He was stationed in Asia for awhile, but I can't recall exactly where) but felt they didn't have the time required to properly train the soldiers in the necessary techniques, so they were taking what was effective and creating a simplified, yet useful, hybrid MA that could be learned quickly. Hand to hand techniques are taught now, but they are even more simple and even less time is spent on them.

Snake

Stumblefist
10-09-2001, 04:20 PM
Yoshinikan Aikido, in Japan, the hardest-hitting style, has a 10 month Black Belt program. The course is for the Tokyo Police (voluntary i think) and for foreigners. The foreigners are just sort of an add-on. It is full time and very tough and turns out a real para-military product.

"Lost in a Roman...wilderness of pain
And all the children are insane
All the children are insane
Waiting for the summer rain, yeah...
This is the end, My only friend, the end
It hurts to set you free
But you'll never follow me"

Ralek
10-09-2001, 04:36 PM
Get your black belts here!!!! Extra, extra!!! Black belts in 10 months!!!!

I am the Grand Ultimate Fist

shaolinboxer
10-09-2001, 04:47 PM
The novel "Angry White Pyjamas" talks about the riot police crash course...it's the autobiographical story of an english professor who goes to train.

One of my favorite book on martial arts.

"She ain't got no muscles in her teeth."
- Cat

wu_de36
10-09-2001, 05:35 PM
South Korea has compulsory military service. They teach either TKD or hapkido, and use it as a point of pride that all soldiers are black belts.

Of course, my Korean friends have all told me that the amount of TKD is very small compared to everything else they do in the military.

origenx
10-09-2001, 05:52 PM
I heard CIA and FBI guys get some pretty good H2H training. So, does anyone know how these various security branches would stack up against one another, from the Secret Service, SEALs, army, navy, police, etc. as far as H2H combat?

SevenStar
10-10-2001, 05:13 AM
If nothing more than the "I'll do anything to kill you" mentality, I'd say SEALs probably have an slight advantage over the above group.

"You ain't got enough calcium to have a bone to pick wit me,
like a Gracie, I'll choke a ***** out wit his own gi" - Rass Kass

DrunkenMonkey
10-10-2001, 06:03 AM
Heheh I agree. SEALs, US Marshals, Rangers, SHIELD troopers, they're the same. You look at one and you look at them all. You know right then and there that they have that awesome aura that just tells you they could decorate the cement with you and your flabby ass

"****ed be the day that befalls us in a most hostile manner that shall compromise our Country, and ****ed be the great lengths at which are required of to stir our Patriotism." - Anonymous