PDA

View Full Version : Rebreakable boards

IronFist
12-02-2002, 01:24 AM
How do you feel they compare with regular boards? What's a good, inexpensive brand or kind to get? Just wondering.

Also, what's the best thickness? I found some available in 4/16" 5/16", 6/16", and 10/16". I assume I would go with the 10/16" cuz my friend had a 4/16" one and I could break it with one finger.

(note: Is it odd to anyone else that it jumps from less than 1/2" to more than 1/2"?)

IronFist

IronFist
12-02-2002, 11:57 AM
Maybe I'd get an answer if I asked the question like this:

"What do you think about rebreakable boards? My lineage is superior to all of yours. Also, ground fighting is far superior to kung fu, as well as all other forms of standup fighting. Kung fu sucks especially in UFC, but the practicioners whine about not being allowed to strike the eyes. Hey guess what? I like to eat turkey! Which rebreakable board is the best?"

Now I should get a response :D

IronFist

OdderMensch
12-02-2002, 12:31 PM
Royce will still choke them out in under a minute. ;)

KC Elbows
12-02-2002, 12:44 PM
Exactly what is it that makes you uncomfortable about 1/2"?:D

Aramus
12-02-2002, 01:26 PM
I've used two different break boards. One was the kind you push together the other, you slid together (long s grove). The S grove or sliding type was harder to break. Regardless of the push together kind, it was easier on my hands. The sliding kind can suffer if warped or not properly cared for. Care for your stuff.

I have never purchased them, so you're on your own there. Sorry.
Peace.

Aramus
12-02-2002, 01:27 PM
Oh yea, the gracie board tried to choke me out. Naturally I made it tap due to my superior skills and eye gouging.:D

GeneChing
12-02-2002, 01:39 PM
Ok, here are our rebrakables! (http://store.yahoo.com/martialartsmart/rebboartilbr.html) I'd be remiss in my duties here if I didn't post that.
Now my opinion - I like our boards and tiles. They are fun to break and provide decent resistance. I don't feel comfortable using the bricks unless I have a towel over them. Keep in mind that I don't train breaking. It's just that we have these things lying around and my work often inspires me to hit stuff. I do think that they are markedly different than breaking wood. For one thing, they are made to break. There's a stress point that's very clearly marked, unlike wood where you have to visualize it yourself. Psychologically, that makes the rebreakables much easier to break. It's a different kind of training, but rewarding nonetheless.

Marshdrifter
12-02-2002, 02:23 PM
Originally posted by GeneChing
It's just that we have these things lying around and my work often inspires me to hit stuff.
Your work or this forum? :)

Or does this forum count as work for you?

GunnedDownAtrocity
12-02-2002, 03:21 PM
i was about to ask what the hell rebreakable boards were but gene cleared that up for me.

are these things worth a sh1t?

GeneChing
12-02-2002, 03:34 PM
md: Yes to both questions.

gda: They're a lot of fun at parties. Seriously. You can design a great drinking game over how many you can break with your head.

From a training standpoint, they're a good stepping stone to increasing penetration power, especially good if you teach kids or beginners. They're not the final answer by any means, but useful for many as an early training tool.

Laughing Cow
12-02-2002, 04:37 PM
Hmmm.

Those are differrent to the ones I know.

The ones I used were push together brown plastic ones (no padding) with Plastic connectors (from 1~7) depending on how hard you want to make it.

Disadvantage was you went through a bag of 500 connectors rather quickly,as the snapped.

Just my 0.2 cents.

David Jamieson
12-02-2002, 05:22 PM
boards don't hit back....:D

it had to be said, so I said it.

having said that, the ones that got all the little nibs that fit into each other are decent on the resistance.

the black board is equal to 2 and 1/2 inch of pine (not baked).

breaking does teach you about applied force and how much is really required when striking.

kinda wakes you up when you whack that sucker and it does nothing but make your hand sting.

trouble with rebreaks is that you graduate from them rather quickly and move on to real wood, brick, then river stone or concrete.

Once you're there, you don't need to break anymore except for demonstration. Anyway, the point is in the lesson of applied force. Breaking helps the student to understand this pretty quickly.

peace

GeneChing
12-02-2002, 05:41 PM
...but when we got these ones in, people liked these a lot more. Not sure why really. Maybe it was replacing all those nibs all the time. Anyway, we stopped selling the nib kind since there was no longer any call for it.

IronFist
12-02-2002, 07:11 PM
Originally posted by Kung Lek

the black board is equal to 2 and 1/2 inch of pine (not baked).

Holy crap! The black one that is .5 inches thick is equal to 2.5" of pine?

I was just about to buy a black one (10/16" thick) on eBay. It's by Pro Force. It looks the same as the one Gene posted, but I'm not sure. He doesn't give an equivalent to real wood. 2.5" sounds a bit too much for me to start with, though.

IronFist

Marshdrifter
12-02-2002, 09:21 PM
Originally posted by GeneChing
They're a lot of fun at parties. Seriously. You can design a great drinking game over how many you can break with your head.
Gene, that was the best sales pitch you've ever posted here.
Really. Now I'm totally tempted to get some.

Good work.

Kristoffer
12-03-2002, 11:10 AM
You break an already broken board with no effort. I break stones. Who developes more power?

Boards sucks, I fail to see the purpose!

GeneChing
12-03-2002, 12:42 PM
IF: I'm not sure how they get those measurements. Is the a board hardness scale or is it a subjective sales pitch?

MD: Thanks for the props. Hope you buy one. Go knock yourself out. Well, you know what I mean...;)

KF: Well, not everyone is at your level. Like I said, the rebreakables are really good for kids and beginners. Obviously stones represent more power, but most of us can't just start breaking stones.