PDA

View Full Version : Newbie question.

haamu
12-02-2002, 07:44 AM
Hi all.
I've been doing (modern) wushu for about three months. It's fun and looks nice... well, most of the time it looks like gymnastics, but nice anyway :) However, I feel I need something more "traditional" or "martial".

My problem is that there are only a few schools here (Helsinki, Finland) teaching traditional arts. And most of those school have one class a week, usually one hour a week. Do you think it's enogh to learn the art... i mean really learn? I can do forms and stuff at home, but... I think I would need more guidance than one lousy hour a week :confused:

haamu.

IronFist
12-02-2002, 12:13 PM
I don't know about schools in Finland, but welcome to KFO. :D

IronFist

Daredevil
12-02-2002, 01:42 PM
Heya ghostie,

Welcome to KFO and nice to have (yet) another Finn around.

I'm more or less biased, but I think my opinion is at least somewhat educated as I've seen a good number of the classes (in traditional chinese arts) being offered in Helsinki and participated in a fair share. You can see what styles I've had most experience with in my profile.

I've found my place studying Bajiquan (and Chen style Taijiquan) and have only good things to say about my master, who is a fearsome in skill and a nice teacher to boot. I can recommend this as a choice.

Of course, what works for me, doesn't necessarily work for others. Though I don't think you'll find a more skilled teacher anywhere in Finland, when it comes to actually possessing kungfu. There's other stuff around, of course. I could say good things about Tai Shin Mun, but even more so I'd put in a good word about Wing Tsun. It may be a bit more modern-flavored for some (lotsa folks crosstraining there and so on), but the guys are very serious and good practisioners. No nonsense and practical.

I'd rather not babble on too much about other schools, but I can answer specific questions you may have.

As for classes offered .. at least for the Baji Association, it's a matter of good training areas. For example, beginner's classes in Taijiquan are only once a week, but beyond the beginning there's more training with the master. Yes, one hour a week is a bit too little, but .. what most people do not and will not realize in the beginning, is that it's the daily training at home that actually will lift your skill level. In the beginning it's just less likely you'll find half an hour of a single movement Silk Reeling to be very fulfilling. Later, that's hardly enough for a day's practise.

Personally, I see my master 6.5-10 hours a week, yet I feel the 1-3 hours at home every day to be more fulfilling (though time with the teacher is of course absolutely necessary and irreplacable).

Enough babbling.

Do you happen to train at Zhang's at Kaapelitehdas? I've been meaning to come check one of the demos, out of curiosity at what's the state of contemporary wushu in Finland.

WT_Novice
12-06-2002, 04:25 AM
I've haven't posted on this forum for a while. Nice to see you help others out as you helped me, Daredevil... :D

I've got a question for Daredevil.
Is Bajiquan the same thing as the art called Bagua? Where do you train it? And what is Bajiquan like? Could you tell me some principles of it or something so that I could get a clue of what it's like. Don't know anything about it yet.

And to haamu...
I'm almost through with my basic course in Helsinki Wing Tsun and think it's a great place to study the art. Ofcourse I can't know if you're gonna' like the art itself, but the instructors(si-hing's) are great people and if things go on like they do at the moment over there, then I can't see any reason for quitting it.
As for the practice of Wing Tsun in Helsinki. In the basic course we have practice 2 times a week(+ WT Chi Kung, which is optional). Then after the basic course at least at this time they have practice 3 times a week and the practice usually lasts for about 75 minutes to 90 minutes. I have got the picture that you may also go and train to the centre by yourself on your spare times on some days(don't know which). You may want to check out the Helsinki WT school's website at www.kolumbus.fi/wingtsun.

Hope that helped at least a little... :)

haamu
12-06-2002, 06:34 AM
Sorry for the late reply... I've been relaxing at our summer cottage for a couple of days. No computers, no TV, not even electricity... just snow, sauna and friends. You all should try it :)

Daredevil, you study under Lü Baochun, right? I was thinking to start the beginners course (taijiquan and bajiquan) there next January. Do you think it's bad to take them both at the same time? Or are they compatible with each other?

WT_Novice, I considered Wing Tsun before I joined wushu. It sounds crazy I know, they probably have nothing in common. Don't know why I didn't even checked it out then... btw, do you spar there? Full contact?

As for the wushu... I don't train at Zhang's. I train(ed) at "Suomen Wushu Kungfu Seura". And I must say, for a novice like me, it has been a great place to increase fitness, flexibility and coordination...

haamu.

edit: Almost forgot... thanks for the welcomes all :D

WT_Novice
12-06-2002, 07:31 AM
btw, do you spar there? Full contact?

We do spar although I haven't got to that point yet. On the full contact issue, I don't really know :confused:. Good question. I've seen the more advanced ones spar with head gear and WT gloves(a little like the ones they use in the UFC) and I think they were going all the way with the punches(they weren't using their legs tha time) but what exactly is full contact sparring? Does full contact mean that they aren't using any protective gear except for gloves, or does it mean that you are going all the way with your techniques?

Maybe Daredevil could enlighten us both on this a little since he was there for a longer period than I have been yet.
So... If you see this post Daredevil, please tell us if they do spar full contact at WT Helsinki.