PDA

View Full Version : Breaking boards with the 1 inch punch

IronFist
12-02-2002, 12:24 PM
Has anyone done this?

I was just at my cousin's house over Thanksgiving and he's big into TKD. He had a few boards laying arround that he was going to break so I decided to try breaking one with a 1 inch punch. I'd already done it to a 1/4" rebreakable board. His were real boards that were a little over 1/2". Anyway, I hadn't even done the punch in like 6 months or so. I tried twice, and both times it knocked him back a bit, but didn't break the board. ****. Oh well. He said it felt pretty powerful when I hit it, though.

Has anyone done this before? Does it feel as cool as I imagine it will? :D

IronFist

OdderMensch
12-02-2002, 12:39 PM
the power used to break a board is different from the power generated for and by a "1 inch punch" I don't know if it can or can't be done, but i'd not try. also the "yat chi chuan kuen" is for "yin" or soft targets, the body, the neck, ect.

this is all of course, merely IMHO.

Mckind13
12-02-2002, 12:48 PM
I broke several that way for a demo and came out with a really swollen knuckle.

Well not enough training on my part I guess.

Also I have heard some sify break boards with Biu Jee.

Not cause they have tough fingers just cause the boards are not hard to break and it demonstrates the power and proper form you need to break things.

David

Bortacus
12-02-2002, 01:29 PM
I agree with oddermensch.
Although I have tried to break a board using the "1 inch punch," my attempts, however, were quite unsuccessful and I won't be trying again anytime soon.

fa_jing
12-02-2002, 03:03 PM
The whole key with breaking boards is following through. How can you follow through with a 1-inch punch?? Oh, and they are quite easy to break if they're held properly. It is also quite easy to injure yourself if your break is unsuccesful, expecially from not following through.

yuanfen
12-02-2002, 06:11 PM
Breaking boards witha one inch punch?
Why?

IronFist
12-02-2002, 07:05 PM
yuanfen, why not? I just wanted to see if I could. I hadn't done a one inch punch in a while. Last year I was able to knock my friend back a few feet with it, so I thought maybe I could break a board.

IronFist

yuanfen
12-02-2002, 10:30 PM
Ironfist-there are different kinds of power and different uses thereof IMVHO of course.

Wingman
12-02-2002, 10:35 PM
I hadn't done a one inch punch in a while. Last year I was able to knock my friend back a few feet with it,...

The real one-inch punch will not knock your friend back a few feet. It will knock him straight down... or maybe knock him out.:D

S.Teebas
12-02-2002, 11:17 PM
Breaking boards with the 1 inch punch

Has anyone done this?

Nope.

This is inch power you may be interested in developing (??). It is attained through practicing the SNT form correctly. Once you have corect structure, focus and cordination of your body you should be able to generate this type of force from any limb IN your body.

IronFist
12-03-2002, 01:53 AM
The only reason I was doing it was to see if I could :)

IronFist

quiet man
12-03-2002, 04:26 AM
"Boards don't hit back." - Bruce Lee, Enter the Dragon :D

Ish
12-03-2002, 08:22 AM
The whole key with breaking boards is following through. How can you follow through with a 1-inch punch??

I was under the impression it was a 1" puch cos you start the punch 1" from the target not cos you only move your fist 1" at least thats how i do mine.

fa_jing
12-03-2002, 08:56 AM
I haven't practiced the 1" punch myself, but I thought that it was used mostly at near full extension of the arm. I could be completely mistaken

anerlich
12-03-2002, 03:13 PM
The real one-inch punch will not knock your friend back a few feet. It will knock him straight down... or maybe knock him out.

I guess it depends which "real one inch punch" you are talking about.

You can drop the guy on the spot or launch him back a few yards into a chair and knock the chair over - the latter looks heaps cooler in a demo.

I saw the 60+ William Cheung do this to a guy on TV about a month ago, and he's in a better position to say what a "real" one inch punch is than anyone posting on this forum IMO. Part of the trick is punching the guy at the right time in his breathing cycle, but it's still pretty impressive.

Ironfist, I've done a few rebreakables with short punches. I hurt my knuckle once pretty bad though, couldn't hit anything hard for about a month. Breaking requires hand conditioning and even then most people hurt themsleves every now and then.

If you want to do it, go for it. There's always a million people who'll tell you it's a bad idea to follow your goals because they think they know better, but I say screw 'em.

Wingman
12-03-2002, 06:32 PM
I guess it depends which "real one inch punch" you are talking about.

What I mean't by "real one inch punch" is a real punch in a real fight. I was not talking about a demo one inch punch. Sure, it looks real cool if you can launch a guy back a few yards into a chair and knock the chair over. I guess in the demo, the guy was not hurt. Right?

The idea of the one inch punch is to generate power over a short distance. It doesn't have to be exactly one inch.

anerlich
12-04-2002, 08:45 PM
What I mean't by "real one inch punch" is a real punch in a real fight. I was not talking about a demo one inch punch. Sure, it looks real cool if you can launch a guy back a few yards into a chair and knock the chair over. I guess in the demo, the guy was not hurt. Right?

"Right" to the last statement. Damaging a TV presenter on national TV is not a way to get rich.

The rest, a matter of opinion. You should have made yourself more clear. Anf if you're fighting to the death on a Kowloon rooftop like so many of our predecessors allegedly did, maybe that punch that pushes the guy back might be just the ticket.

IMO the "one inch punch" exists only in demo's. "Short power" is a quality, the "one inch punch" a demonstration of it.

mun hung
12-06-2002, 01:44 AM
Can anyone here explain inch power? How about other ways to use it besides the punch?

Mckind13
12-06-2002, 02:07 AM
Hi,

I may post more latter but...

The one inch punch exists, it works in real application, it may not have as much raw power as a stepping punch but used properly it is as much or more devistating.

It will drop someone.

David

S.Teebas
12-06-2002, 05:44 PM
IMO the "one inch punch" exists only in demo's. "Short power" is a quality, the "one inch punch" a demonstration of it.

Agreed.