PDA

View Full Version : Need advcie to lose Body Fat

infinet
12-02-2002, 04:28 PM
Anyone have some helpful advice to drop 10pounds in a fairly short period of time (I've got a tournement in 3months) and need to lose some weight.

SevenStar
12-02-2002, 07:29 PM
what is your current diet and training schedule?

Do you have any idea what % bodyfat you are?

infinet
12-03-2002, 05:32 AM
1hr of Tai Chi on Tuesday
1hr30mins Full Contact boxing on Wednesday
2hrs Kung Fu Thursday, Saturday, Sunday

Current diet consists of:

Bowl of oatmeal for Breakfast
Tuna Sandwich on Twelve Grain for lunch (usually with soup)
and some sort of beef for dinner (steak, Roast, or Ground)

Not to sure about % of body fat at the moment
I'm 5'11" and 175pounds

PHILBERT
12-03-2002, 09:42 AM
Would you say you have some muscle? What kind of fruits/veggies do you eat? Drink any alcohol?

I am 6' and weigh 170, and my body fat level is around 11.5% (been a while since I last had it taken though, about 6-8 months). I dunno if that'll help determining your body fat level because, I am very scrawny. Most people look at me and say "you weight 140" and I say "170" and they usually respond with bull...well I am at school and don't want to type the word.

infinet
12-03-2002, 09:55 AM
I'd say some muscle (not as much as I'd like though) its buried under about and inch and 1/2 of fat. :)

For veggies I usually eat carrots, celery, broccoli, cauliflower, potatoes, spinach, cabbage, and on the odd occasion kale.

I do have some beers every other weekend.

Never actually had % of Bodyfat taken by a doctor or nutritionist before though.

Ford Prefect
12-03-2002, 11:52 AM
Simple equation for losing fat is to consume less calories than are required daily by your body (multiply your bodyeight by 12-14). Of course, only stick to a restricted calorie diet for 4-6 weeks. Drink lots of water to stop water retention. Do cardio in the morning on an empty stomach. Cycling days of standard cardio and H.I.I.T. helps too. If possible, eat your calories in 6 meals a day to increase your metabolism. 10 pounds in 3 months should be a peice of cake. Yada yada.

infinet
12-03-2002, 12:11 PM
Thx for the advice :)

Cyborg
12-04-2002, 12:05 PM
This is one possible way to lose several #'s quick and help lose even more later. "Cleanse". Most people bathe regularly but don't ever clean out their intestinal tract. So naturally there is a buildup of undigested junk that is slowing down digestion and adding to your body weight.

Solution: drink fruit juice and water alternating 8-12 oz. cups for three days. Try to drink 2 gal. total each day. (I have a hard time doing that... usually get about 1 1/2 gal. down) Best to stick with one kind of juice, if you really need some more energy you can have raw fruit, again it's best to be the same kind as the juice. Makes it easier on your digestive tract. You might also add a supplement of cayenne pepper (1/2 teaspoon is enough) it will help kill the worms (believe it or not most people DO have them) and is excellent for the blood and heart. I know a lady who takes it in her morning coffee... ughh, I take it in capsule form. Make sure to drink a full 12oz or more with it or you'll feel like your chest is on fire!

As to eating six times a day to speed up your metabolism, well, I just don't know. Ori Hofmekler says to skip breakfast, eat fruits and or vegetables for lunch and eat as much as you feel like for dinner. I've seen great success stories from both camps but really don't know what's best. You can find more about Hofmekler at www.dragondoor.com and also Harvey Diamonds' "Fit for Life" which is where I got the cleansing program from.

If you need more info email me as I don't check this board regularly anymore. Still like the health and fitness forum though!

Good luck!

Kinjit
12-04-2002, 01:46 PM
Worms!?? :eek:

popsider
12-04-2002, 03:09 PM
I honestly don't think there is a better way to lose weight than running - other than eating less of course. However it takes a while to get up to the standard where you can comfortably do a 90 minute run - when you can do about 25 miles a week over 3 sessions you have no trouble dropping weight.

Ford Prefect
12-05-2002, 08:01 AM
Popsider,

That's the general school of thought, but it is also incorrect. Studies have shown (namely Dr Tabata's experiments with olympic speed skaters) that high intensity interval training (HIIT) causes a more serious oxygen debt and burns fat more quickly. There have been many experiment to fallow on the heels of Dr Tabata's work where a control group and an experimental group are pitted against each other. The control group did moderate cardio for 45 minutes while the experimental group did HIIT for a 15-20 minute period. You'd be amazed at the results.

I do believe though that HIIT works best when balanced with a regular low intensity cardio approach like jogging. I've had good results using HIIT alone (much better than standard jogging), but the results were astonishing when I added a couple days of regular cardio training to the mix. I'm sure if you do a web search for "tabata interval training" you should find some references to his work. Take care!

Ford Prefect
12-05-2002, 08:09 AM
"As to eating six times a day to speed up your metabolism, well, I just don't know. "

What I do know is that eating often has been show to increase metabolism and decrease the amount of fat stored by the body. It's the same with drinking water. The more you drink, the less you'll retain. I'm not saying anything about Mr Hofmekler theories as they may be prudent for basic weight loss or physical fitness. Skipping breakfast combined with any sort of morning workout alone would cause one to lose weight. That reminds me of that Trim Spa bs. "Just take trim spa and don't eat 3 hours before bed, and you'll lose weight" No kidding! Drinking coffee and then not eating for 3 hours before bed will make you lose weight. Heh. Funny stuff. Poor sheeple.

FatherDog
12-05-2002, 10:00 AM
Originally posted by Cyborg
This is one possible way to lose several #'s quick and help lose even more later. "Cleanse". Most people bathe regularly but don't ever clean out their intestinal tract. So naturally there is a buildup of undigested junk that is slowing down digestion and adding to your body weight.

I'm not a nutritionist, so I won't comment on the rest of the post, but as for this....

NO, NO, NO! WRONG, WRONG, WRONG!

Christing puce, I see this like five times a week on the health forums. Red meat doesn't stay in your intestines. NOTHING stays in your intestines longer than a few days. There is no 'undigested junk' in your intestinal tract. Look up the AMA's report on colonic irrigation if you don't believe me. This sort of thing is a health myth, period.

prana
12-05-2002, 06:58 PM
1. Wake up half hour earlier, cardio exercise for half an hour, keeping your heart rate above aprrox 130 bpm (if you are a healthy)

2. Dont miss a high fibre breakfast with lots of fruits. Eat more than usual about 20 minutes are your workout.

3. Drink warm water and stay away from cold food and drinks, esp ice creams and gassy drinks

4. Dont allow yourself to feel like you are "starving". Bring snacks with you.

5. Cross train and work out a different muscle group every day

I guess this method is kinda "old" school now that the high protein diet is out. But hey, opinions are like a$.....bla bla bla :D

TenTigers
12-05-2002, 07:10 PM
Fordperfect has it-HIIT rulz! Case in point-did you ever look at long distance runners? They really don't look cut or in shape for that matter. But-look at a sprinter, and you will see someone who is SHREDDED! Lean,muscular, and ripped to the bone. Combine six meals a day-small meals high lean protien, low glycemic index carbs, minimal starches, lots of water, do your run on a ten hr fast-meaning if you eat dinner at 7 pm, wake up pee, drink water with 1/2 lemon squeezed into it and run on an empty stomach-utilizing your storage for fuel. Do the HIIT method, or basically get on the track, jog a lap, pick up the pace for the second lap, a bit more for the third, and sprint the last quarter. Repeat 3 more times. You can modify this for any workout-treadmill, swimming, bag work,kicking drills. Check out Bill Phillips' Body For Life book, and buy his Muscle Media 2000 magazine. Is anyone here doing the Challenge? I am.

watzun
12-07-2002, 10:26 PM
I'm not a nutrition expert but this has worked for me.

1. Avoid the sugar. This includes with coffee, in soda, candy, etc.

2. Try to eat foods with a low glycemic index. Foods with low glycemic levels will break into sugar more slowley eliminating the urge to eat more. (You can probably find this info on the web) This will also help to keep you from retaining water.

3. Water is all you need to drink. Drink at least 8 glasses.

4. Try to eat foods according to the 40-30-30 rule (40% calories from carbs, 30% cal from protien, 30% cal from fats.
*multiply the carb g by 4
*multiply the protien g by 4
*multiply the fat by g 8
-This gives you the calories from each.
*add them up and find the percentages.

5. Try to eat carbohydrates high in fiber.

-There is a book by Daost that talks about this stuff.

6. Running is good too.

SevenStar
12-08-2002, 11:13 AM
Originally posted by Cyborg

Solution: drink fruit juice and water alternating 8-12 oz. cups for three days. Try to drink 2 gal. total each day. (I have a hard time doing that... usually get about 1 1/2 gal. down) Best to stick with one kind of juice, if you really need some more energy you can have raw fruit, again it's best to be the same kind as the juice. Makes it easier on your digestive tract. You might also add a supplement of cayenne pepper (1/2 teaspoon is enough) it will help kill the worms (believe it or not most people DO have them) and is excellent for the blood and heart. I know a lady who takes it in her morning coffee... ughh, I take it in capsule form. Make sure to drink a full 12oz or more with it or you'll feel like your chest is on fire!

I've heard good and bad things about juicing. I wouldn't do it for weight loss though.

As to eating six times a day to speed up your metabolism, well, I just don't know. Ori Hofmekler says to skip breakfast, eat fruits and or vegetables for lunch and eat as much as you feel like for dinner. I've seen great success stories from both camps but really don't know what's best. You can find more about Hofmekler at www.dragondoor.com and also Harvey Diamonds' "Fit for Life" which is where I got the cleansing program from.

I like the 6 meal a day thing. it keeps meals smaller and does keep the metabolism going. This can be great for both losing and gaining weight - you just have to change the size of the meals, and possibly what they consist of. As for the other plan you mentioned, I would expect to lose weight if I skipped breakfast and only ate fruits and veggies for lunch. What would concern me is the type of weight I'm losing. If you are only really eating at dinner, then you aren't getting enough protein to supplement your muscles if you are very active, unless you are eating A LOT of protein with dinner, which, again, I wouldn't reccomend. If your aren't getting enough protein, then you are losing muscle along with the fat, and that shouldn't be your goal.

You are eating a big meal closest to the time you are going to bed....right when your metabolism will be slowest. If I were doing that plan, I'd reverse and have a big breakfast, fruit and veggies for lunch, and a small dinner. I would include protein in all of those meals.

Cyborg
12-09-2002, 10:38 AM
Father Dog, I said nothing about red meat. I said "junk" and can't quote studies because all my research is on myself. Here's how it usually works, first day - regular bowel movements, second day - usually none, third day - it looks kinda like rabbit pellets and that's the last of it. Kinda gross I know, but IME this helps digestion from then on for several months.

What I've said is what I've had good personal experience with, all I ask is that you be open to new (or old) ideas. Don't dismiss them just because you've never heard of them or don't know anyone who's tried them.

Seven*, the reason they say skip breakfast is because "that's when the body is cleansing naturally". (I paraphrased that) but I've actually tried skipping supper as well and also lost weight with that. Basically all I have to do to lose weight is eat less.

Galadriel
12-09-2002, 12:26 PM
Hey Prana,

"Cross train and work out a different muscle group every day"

Why??
Wouldnt it be better to just do all muscles a little bit each day?? Or even if it just a little bit, do the muscles still need more time to recuperate???

Thx,
Galadriel

Kristoffer
12-09-2002, 01:23 PM
Just run everyday and eat healthy