PDA

View Full Version : Visit to HFY School

aelward
12-02-2002, 11:27 PM
On Sunday (Dec 1), I visited Sifu Garrett Gee's HFY Wing Chun school in San Francisco. A si-hing from Taiwan, who loves meeting famous teachers and seeing different branches of WC had wanted to go, and I had called a week in advance to see if it was ok.

Upon our arrival, his senior student Allen showed us around the school, whose training area is about 18' x 24' with Japanese Judo-style tatami, with two dummies, a weapon rack, and lots of pictures. They were incredibly hospitable, providing spring water and hot tea.

We watched the class as they went through their version of the SNT three times; then proceeded into two different footwork patterns; then the application of those patterns in the first section of their dummy form.

At this time, Sifu Gee graciously took the time to talk to us personally, and discuss some of the differences between HFY and other versions of WC. I can't say I understood all of these ideas, but it was still magnanimous of him to personally talk with us during his class. Lastly, he asked us to demonstrate our SNT and CK forms, as well as Chi Sao and some San Da; he also had his senior students do the CK form (which is probably 80% different from YM styles).

Overall, it was a very pleasant visit. There was not posturing or arrogance, no chest thumping. Sifu Gee's example of hospitality is something that we in the Wing Chun world could learn from!

yenhoi
12-02-2002, 11:58 PM
Neat.

HFY Sil Lum Tao was no different?

Did you touch hands with anyone?

Grendel
12-03-2002, 12:47 AM
Hi John,

That's the spirit. You are becoming a good ambassador for Wing Chun.

Regards,

reneritchie
12-03-2002, 09:03 AM
Hey Aelward,

Gee sifu is a gentleman, and a very good example, and Allen, the brief time I met him, was the same. The VTM are also incredibly gracious hosts. If anyone else has a chance to experience their hospitality, I couldn't recommend it more.

RR

aelward
12-03-2002, 10:14 AM
Yenhoi writes:
> HFY Sil Lum Tao was no different?

It is very different, but you can still see the similarities in the order of the motions (i.e., tan sao, huen sao, 3 fook saos; gum saos, lan sao, fak sao, etc), even if those motions are performed differently. It is similar enough that if I saw someone doing it in a park, I would know it was Wing Chun. However, their CK was significantly different.

> Did you touch hands with anyone?

Sifu Gee showed us the difference in the use of HFY fook sao, and at that time, I got to feel his tan sao :P But then, I met him 2 years ago, and did almost the exam same comparison.

tparkerkfo
12-03-2002, 10:42 AM
Excellent,

Sounds much like my visit several years ago. Gee sifu was VERY hospitable and open. I have only meet one other that compared, Chiu Chi Ling over in Alemeda (Hung Gar). LOL, like you I did not understand a lot of what was said at the time. I think I did at the time, but when I left I couldn't articulate it. LOL.

Like Rene said, I highly recommend meeting these guys if you can.

Tom
________
CHEVROLET PARKWOOD (http://www.chevy-wiki.com/wiki/Chevrolet_Parkwood)

yenhoi
12-03-2002, 11:20 AM
Very cool.

Did their SLT's look different between persons? More so then between YM peeps? I only ask because my understanding of the Time Space concept is probably not up to par.

I plan on visiting a HFY school in Febuary.

reneritchie
12-03-2002, 12:09 PM
aelward - Could you shoot me an email when you have a chance? info@wingchunkuen.com

anerlich
12-03-2002, 03:00 PM
aelward,

way to go, dude. Gee Sifu sounds like a good man.

aelward
12-03-2002, 04:30 PM
yenhoi writes:
> Did their SLT's look different between persons?

It looked more or less the same; there weren't as many variations as their are in YM lines, except maybe for mistakes by beginners. It WAS a beginner class, so I don't think people had the time or experience to make changes.

> I only ask because my understanding of the Time Space
> concept is probably not up to par.

lol, mine either. In fact, Sifu Gee brought that up very briefly, but didn't expound on it, so I'm still not sure. He also brought up five lines instead of one centerline, and said that if one's technique fell outside of the time and space of these lines, then one wasn't doing HFY.

Rolling_Hand
12-05-2002, 05:20 PM
Aelward,

You are a good ambassador for Wing Chun. An untroubled mind beyond judgments, watches and understands.