PDA

View Full Version : Attn: Musicians

IronFist
12-03-2002, 02:02 AM
Does this look like crap? My crap detector is going off. But I've seen these ads in guitar magazines years ago. It would be the coolest thing in the world it were true, but I doubt that it is. Most likely crap. Remember, the crap detector.

Perfect Pitch Course (http://www.perfectpitch.com)

IronFist

WTJune
12-03-2002, 03:34 AM
...never heard of this... but I'm a drummer - do i count ? ;)

ciao

June

Souljah
12-03-2002, 04:13 AM
Yes you can train youself to recognise pitches if thats what your questioning.....is it?

But then you dont have to spend any money to do this you can just get a few mp3's and try and figure the melodies out using a keyboard.....the more you do it the easier it will become and eventually you will be able to recognize tones and pitches just as they are played. Well thats what I do it anyway.
Although a couple of books and an explanation of the major and minor gorups would always help....:)

soul

KC Elbows
12-03-2002, 06:48 AM
Hehehe...

I crack up whenever I think of perfect pitch.

See, my mother and my sister both have it, and musical training reaffirmed it. However, it is not always the blessing that it seems. In their case, if they look at sheet music and it says that the note they should do is a 'D', they can do a perfect one.

However, let's just say my dad and I transposed the music before they started singing. Then, the sheet music would still say 'D', but it could be a C they should be singing in the new key.

If you're like my mom and sister, you will reflexively fall back on your perfect pitch, and sing a 'D'. And be out of tune with the music.

And if you are like my father and I, you will get a good laugh out of it.

Now, people who don't have an inborn talent for perfect pitch have it easier, as they're more used to 'feeling' the music out, instead of going verbatim off of sheet music. Both are good skills.

Sharky
12-03-2002, 07:32 AM
I bet <insert your favourite artist here> never used that crap.

You don't need that. Learn some scales, and learn to improvise.

I really don't see the point in that stuff.

KC Elbows
12-03-2002, 08:14 AM
It's got it's use for jamming. If you can tell what key and scale people are playing in a song before you even see them or have your instrument out, it can be handy.

However, past that, it doesn't do much for writing, and it's got its drawbacks.

Sharky
12-03-2002, 08:19 AM
"It's got it's use for jamming. If you can tell what key and scale people are playing in a song before you even see them or have your instrument out, it can be handy."

I *know* what it's *use* is for, but what i mean is, i don't see why you gota go buy an 8 CD collection to learn this skill. Learn your scales up and down the fretboard and it'll soon become natural to you.

OR you could just say 'what key are we in'.

I dunno i never had a problem with it, i just 'do it'.

Chang Style Novice
12-03-2002, 08:20 AM
I'm pretty sure Iggy never used perfect pitch training. That's not neccesarily an argument either for or against, though.

KC Elbows
12-03-2002, 08:56 AM
A lot of people who know scales intimately DON'T have perfect pitch. Knowing scales won't enable you to identify the sound of a single note isolated from others, and that's what perfect pitch does.

However, paying for it is kind of silly when you could spend your time learning virtuosity on your chosen instrument.

guohuen
12-03-2002, 10:35 AM
Relative pitch is the ability to maintain the relationship between the notes in a scale. The base note does not have to be in tune, just the relationship between the notes. Ie. a person with relative pitch can tune a guitar and make it sound good even if the root note (E) is not E. It will be in tune with itself.
Perfect pitch is the ability to identify any note by ear.
Personally I think relative pitch is more usefull. It can become perfect pitch with training but being relative it's more helpfull when your trying to compensate for the people your playing with that couldn't carry a tune in a wheelbarrow.

Braden
12-03-2002, 11:29 AM
Do you guys all use electric tuners? ;p

It's a very useful skill. But the best way to develop it is just to practice regularly with your instument. Tune it regularly. Figure out songs by ear. If this is hard at first, use some aids. So, if you have an electric tuner, tune by ear first, then check it with the electric. Do this every day. If you want to figure out a song, do your best by ear, then go grab a tab off OLGA to figure out the part you couldn't get. Or use the tab to get you started, then try to figure out the rest by ear. Honestly, this is the best way - plus, you're learning stuff you like, and it's free. Rudimentary voice and piano training will also help significantly, for instance, if your main instrument is guitar.

KC Elbows
12-03-2002, 11:39 AM
Yeah, doing it by ear is definitely the way to go if possible. Plus, half of that OLGA stuff, and even sheet music you buy, is way off.