PDA

View Full Version : Pavel Tsatsouline

Azure
12-03-2002, 05:29 AM
I noticed that some people (Seven Star in particular) have been pushing 'Power to the people' by Pavel Tsatsouline as a great book for strenght training. I had a look on Amazon and noticed that he has written a few other books as well. Such as 'The Russian Kettlebell Challenge'. Are any of these worth picking up?

Ford Prefect
12-03-2002, 08:08 AM
I'd recommend Power to the People over anything else he has written. Some people prefer the KB Challenge. To each his own.

Qi dup
12-03-2002, 11:11 AM
I hear 'From russia with love,' is very good for women.

IronFist
12-03-2002, 11:45 PM
Pavel is very knowledgeable. I agree with nearly everything he says, except for his emphasis of side press over bench press. But, it's just my personal opinion that I like bench better.

Get Power to the People. It's one of the best training books I've ever read.

IronFist

Kempo Guy
12-05-2002, 08:20 PM
I own a couple of Pavel's books along with about five of his videos and have to agree that PtP is probably his best book/video as it pertains to weightlifting. The book definitely is better than the video as it contains tons of information, but if you have never done weightlifting I'd suggest getting the video first.
If you are serious about strength training, I feel Pavel's materials are mandatory.

Personally I've always hated weightlifting, but found his Kettlebell workouts to suit my needs when combined with bodyweight training (ala "scrapper's workouts"). I own both of his Kettlebell tapes (and one of the books) and imho his newest tape "From Russia with tough Love" is the better of the two (in terms of the content) as it shows most, if not all, of the exercises of his first tape (The Russian Kettlebell Challenge) and also include new exercises. It also shows the movements performed from the front and the side (profile), which helps when beginning these exercises.

Pavel's "Bulletproof Abs" is a pretty good text as well. These days I only use the Ab drills found in this book (such as Janda's, full-contact twists and the 'evil wheel').

His stretching videos are quite good, and his "Superjoints" book and video are very useful for a martial artist.

In any event, don't hesitate to get PtP and if you are so inclined, get RKC book as well! (I feel the books are complementary).

Enjoy the pain! :D
KG

ewallace
12-06-2002, 01:45 PM
I just got thru purchasing PTP. What kind of equipment do you need to do the exercises in that book?

Kempo Guy
12-06-2002, 02:27 PM
Olympic style weight set (i.e. bar and weights).

yenhoi
12-06-2002, 11:41 PM
ewallace: 150$ worth of weights and bar.

Youre better off borrowing any of Pavel's books then buying but the info is good stuff.

ewallace
12-07-2002, 04:21 PM
Well, since I already bought the book maybe someone will lend me the $150!

MonkeySlap Too
12-08-2002, 02:33 PM
Pavel's material is very useful. Both of the nutcases I work out with are bug Pavel fans, and they are turning me into one too.

Although we are doing Scott Sonnon's clubbells versus kettelbells. It goes nicely with the tire dragging.

FatherDog
12-08-2002, 05:29 PM
Originally posted by ewallace
Well, since I already bought the book maybe someone will lend me the $150!

Actually, I was in Dick's sporting goods today, and they had a York barbell with 300 lbs worth of weight on sale for $89.95.

ewallace
12-09-2002, 01:29 PM
No kidding? Is Dick's like a mom 'n' pop sporting goods store or is it a branch of a big chain (ie: Oshmans = Sports Authority = 10 other stores)?

Suntzu
12-09-2002, 01:32 PM
Dick 's is huge :rolleyes: in the mid atlantic... well it had to be said...

ewallace
12-09-2002, 01:42 PM
Nevermind. It is part of the Sports Authority chain. Here is the link to them for 89.98 for anyone interested:
http://www.****ssportinggoods.com/product/index.jsp?productId=142835&cp=710956.1085818.693997&parentPage=family

This means I can get the same deal at Oshman's.
Thanks bro.

ewallace
12-09-2002, 01:44 PM
Are you sure they werent' Cap barbell? Like it matters. And I can't seem to get the same price. :(

Rolling Elbow
12-09-2002, 02:00 PM
Sorry guys,

I have the book and the titles sound great when you read the table of contents...you may even think that with all those articles you will get a 500 page book. but you don't...its the same solution for all his approcahes. Wanna be built like a Soviet bear? Wanna mold your body into an off planet rock lol....very silly seeing as all you do is deadlift and side press. TWO exercises! Sorry, don't buy it. the diff between the two is that for size you eat and do 20 sets of deadlifts, to be cut and strong you do say 5. ..I'll tell you one thing, some of his tips are useful but they've been around for years.

One thing i will say, i've started doing power cleans, squats and deadlifts and a few other compound movements such as chins and benches and yes, i am feeling a difference in muscles being used and some strength. ..I would make this book out to be more than it is...yet another approach to training in a different way...not the "russian" way, just a diff way.

Ford Prefect
12-09-2002, 02:24 PM
Rolling Elbow,

I agree that a lot of his stuff is out especially after he started getting a little notariety. I think the best thing to be gleaned from Power to the People is the cycling approach that he lays out for "wirey strength". Up until then, I never really heard of doing a lift every day using submaximal weights and slowly working up to a 5 rep max over a period of a couple weeks.