PDA

View Full Version : What do you guys practice iron palm on?

IronFist
12-03-2002, 04:39 PM
A table? A stack of concrete blocks? The counter? What do you put the bag on.

IronFist

Serpent
12-03-2002, 04:46 PM
Skinheads.

African Tiger
12-03-2002, 04:48 PM
Skinheads? :D

Actually Sifu had us kneeling on the carpeted floor, striking the bag with the standard "palm above the head"

azwingchun
12-03-2002, 04:59 PM
I stacked up a bunch of bricks(cinder blocks) and then put a wall cap on top as the base. Excuse my lack of brick terminology, but I never claimed to be a brick scholar....LOL.;)

Chang Style Novice
12-03-2002, 05:04 PM
Double-parked SUVs.

David Jamieson
12-03-2002, 05:10 PM
any platform that is above the waist but below the chest will do.

when you start working in deep stance training with the ip, lower the platform to accomodate the shifting stances.

peace

IronFist
12-03-2002, 05:10 PM
Originally posted by azwingchun
I stacked up a bunch of bricks(cinder blocks) and then put a wall cap on top as the base. Excuse my lack of brick terminology, but I never claimed to be a brick scholar....LOL.;)

How many bricks?

IronFist

GeneChing
12-03-2002, 06:08 PM
These - they're new! (http://store.yahoo.com/martialartsmart/2040.html) It goes with this. (http://store.yahoo.com/martialartsmart/prat102.html)
And there's more to come, stay tuned!

azwingchun
12-03-2002, 06:38 PM
How many bricks? It depends on high high you want them, I think I use 6 of them. It really depends on what the thickness of the brick you use are. Actually, I use a few of the big cinder blocks and then I have added a few of the thinner blocks. This makes it easy to drop the height, I just remove some of the smaller which are at the top of the stack. By the way I stack them 2 across (and also criss-cross them) for stability. Hope this helps.
;)

logic
12-03-2002, 07:50 PM
Telephone books
then I move to the been bags
a couple wooden blocks
and then bricks(Thats if I'm up to it,depends how I'm feeling)

joedoe
12-03-2002, 07:58 PM
Small children
Domesticated animals
People I don't like

In that order.

logic
12-03-2002, 08:14 PM
:D :D :D :D
Fat chicks
Ralek
Stacy
Liberal Democrats:eek: :eek: :eek: (just kidden)

Water Dragon
12-03-2002, 08:34 PM
A sack filled with mung beans and some good jow.

cha kuen
12-03-2002, 09:13 PM
I make a wooden stand that's about waist high.

kung fu books (http://cgi6.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewSellersOtherItems&userid=taichimaster06&include=0&since=-1&sort=3&rows=25)

Stacey
12-03-2002, 09:39 PM
chickens

i buy whole chickens from a mexican grocer.

Then I slap the **** out of em. I slap them until all the bones break and then after I've beaten my meat all day, I invite the neighbors over to dinner and feed it to them. I tell them I'm a vegiterian.

Serpent
12-03-2002, 09:42 PM
If you practice on fat chicks you risk a broken nose from bounce-back.

yenhoi
12-03-2002, 09:44 PM
I use cinder blocks just like azwingchun.

And some good dit da.

IronFist
12-03-2002, 11:12 PM
I asked what you put the bag on, not what goes in the bag :D

Gene, abou those bags, how the hell do you slap yourself with a bag that is 4x6? I have Wing Lam's Iron Body bags and I presume they work much better. No offence to your wares or anything.

IronFist

Dale Dugas
12-04-2002, 07:24 AM
Most people seem to gravitate toward having the base of your choice at the height of your Dan Tian(three of your first three fingers of either hand down from your navel). Though there are some instructors who believe that you should have the bag at a height that is halfway between your knee and your hip(actually your inguinal fold, where your waist meets your leg).

AT-kneeling down on the carpet? Wouldn't you be forced to lean over and curve yourself up while striking the bag?

KL- Wouldn't that put your bag a little high for your arm to be stretched naturally and allow the Qi to flow more?

I have used all manner of bases before finding one that works best for me. I use to use an old butchers cutting block that was 9 inches thick, and heavy as hell to move around. But it was nice to train and not cause to much racket in my apartment complex. The block seemed to absorb the sound of the strikes.

Concrete building blocks are my favorites. Solid ones seem to last the longest. I use four of them as that puts my bag about Dan Tian high for me.

And remember to jow up before, during and after. I still see many karate people whacking away and telling me that they do not need any form of liniment. Silly karateka...

In Boston,

Dale Dugas

Nevermind
12-04-2002, 08:48 AM
My Sifu has me use 8 cylinder blocks with 2 patio blocks on top because of my height (6"3). Like someone else mentioned, he instructed that the bags should be even with the dan tien. Right now I am in the beginning stage and using only the bag of beans but it is stacked on top of the gravel bag for height.