PDA

View Full Version : SPM in Chicago?

CrippledAvenger
12-04-2002, 04:59 AM
I was wondering if anyone had heard of Wilbur Rimes who teaches Jook Lum SPM in Chicago? Is he any good? Are there other teachers/styles of SPM in Chicago or is he the only one?

thanks.

Dale Dugas
12-04-2002, 07:36 AM
He had written an article back in the 80's on Master Sammy Wong's Chu Gar Tong Long Pai. It was a decent little article that showed the readers the basic horse posture which differentiates Southern Mantis from Northern.

I remember some letters to the editor about herbs and healing and it was mentioned that he was a homeopathic doctor.

He switched over to Jook Lum Tong Long Pai of Master Henry Poo Yee sometime later.

I say go meet up with him and see what he does and judge it for yourself. Too many people here flame on when you mention certain sifu and their lineage, or their non-lineage or ask if they are decent or not.

Check it out and see if you like the style. It uses a natural higher stance than most of the souther arts taught publicly. Jook Lum, Chu Gar, Chow Gar Tong Long Pai are not pretty to look at comapred to other styles, but man are they nice to have with you when the p o o hits the fan.

In Boston,

Dale Dugas

CrippledAvenger
12-04-2002, 01:32 PM
Thanks for the info, Mr. Dugas. I definitely plan on looking him up at some point in the near future.

Also, I remember hearing something about two brothers who teach Southern Mantis here in chitown, but I can't seem to find any information off hand. How easy is it to track down good SPM?

Water Dragon
12-04-2002, 01:52 PM
Ooops, that was supposed to be a p.m. which is why I deleted it :o

CrippledAvenger
12-04-2002, 01:54 PM
no blood, no foul, WD.

Would you mind resending that info in a PM?

B.P.Campbell
12-04-2002, 02:35 PM
Wilburs a pretty nice guy, and has been around the short hand arts long enough to understand them. It would be worth your while to meet with him and spend a little time. I dont no if Wilbur is taking students or not, but if you go to the C. K.F.A. web site I think his phone number is listed. You could give him a call.

i found in the martial arts along with most other things you are best judging people for yourself.. Others opinions mean little.

I dont no of any other JLSPM teachers in the Chicago area, but if there are others, Wilbur would no of them and Im sure he would help you find them.

Bruce P. Campbell

CrippledAvenger
12-04-2002, 03:01 PM
Mr. Campbell,

Thanks for the advice. Like I said, Mr. Rimes is on my list of teachers to check out in the Chicago area ASAP.

That said, I'm not looking for just Jook Lum teachers. I'm open to all styles and branches, not just one family of SPM. It's just that Jook Lum seems to be the most readily available southern style, and one of the few non-Wing Chun ones in the city.

3step
12-04-2002, 07:58 PM
Ricky Gamboa is also in Chicago. I think his info is on the bambootemple.com website.

BearBear
12-05-2002, 01:47 AM
Hi.

We are trying to build a directory of ALL (yes well.. as many as we can find) Southern Praying Mantis Teachers in the World!!

If you know of a Teacher / School and would like to help please post it at the Southern Praying mantis Forums - Southern Praying Mantis School Locations Thread

Even just the teacher name and location .. will help people find teachers to learn SPM

Thanks for your help

BearBear

Southern Praying mantis Forums (and all other arts ..)
http://tonglongforums.cjb.net
http://pub75.ezboard.com/bsouthernprayingmantiskungfu

CrippledAvenger
12-05-2002, 10:09 AM
BearBear--

I'll let you know what I found out after I get a chance to get out there and search out these teachers in Chitown. It looks like there's a surprising amount of SPM here, just under the radar, but we'll have to wait and see.

Water Dragon
12-05-2002, 08:40 PM
Originally posted by CrippledAvenger
BearBear--

I'll let you know what I found out after I get a chance to get out there and search out these teachers in Chitown.

Small warning. The Chinese are a little more conservative than Americans. Some prefer not to be known publicly, but stay just under the surface. It's considered polite to ask before giving out someone's name.

CrippledAvenger
12-05-2002, 10:31 PM
Thanks for the heads-up WD. Didn't know it was a faux pas.

Actually, now that I think about it, I have some etiquette questions regarding such things. Would you mind if I shot you a PM about 'em over the weekend?

Water Dragon
12-07-2002, 12:37 PM
Sure, shoot me a pm. Basically, just be polite and sincere though and you'll be fine.

BearBear
12-08-2002, 08:50 PM
Yeah this can be tricky regading private schools and teachers.. of course "closed / pirvate" schools will not be listed if requested ... or at least i am hoping it at worse its

"there is a teacehr of SPM in X-Town, its pretty private club and they don't advertise or asscept student easily"

then the person can start looking! and if they are dedicated and truely interested they may find the school ... being accepted a sa student would be there next chellenge!

thanks