PDA

View Full Version : MA Technique Video Clips

Lowlynobody
12-04-2002, 05:07 AM
Ok guys we have all seen the good, the bad, the ugly, and the down right laughable when it comes to MA clips posted on the net. Considering the wide range of arts and even wider range of opinions of those who are on this forum I would like to know what you out there think of these......

http://www.yaukungmun.com.au/technique_workshop.htm

Thoughts?

Lowlynobody.

Sharky
12-04-2002, 05:17 AM
From your name i'd say that you have self esteem issues.

Lowlynobody
12-04-2002, 05:21 AM
How could you tell? :p

Liokault
12-04-2002, 06:36 AM
I didnt look at any of the clips as it takes me so long to down load anything but any martial art that advertises "distance learning " kind of makes me wonder.

BTW dont worry about sharky......Every one from London is like that and he dosent mean to be rude.....he just dosent know better.

Can-O-Bud
12-04-2002, 06:44 AM
Looks like a good site!

Anyone know of any more that have downloadable videos of all the Kung Fu forms?

Former castleva
12-04-2002, 07:14 AM
Doh!
WMV format...

One thing that I find interesting about these is this one technique demonstration-tch2.

a.cover the opponent
b.two phoenix eye strikes to torso (injuring,killing unlikely)
c.arm/elbow lock to arm break (injuring/immobolizing offensive movement)
d.yun fen (phoenix eye) to side of head (possibly killing)
e.rising knee to heart (possibly killing)
f.take-down,shoulder lock to dislocation...(if he´s still concious)

Very devastating,if necessary though...

Crimson Phoenix
12-04-2002, 07:34 AM
I THINK THEY SUCKED!!!

LOL Just kidding, Fiercest Tiger ;)

I liked them, since I'm a southern boxing lover and adept of the phoenix eye fist...
Very damaging weapon when you know how to use it (and where to use it as well).
However, and that's something the clip doesn't show (no clip can really show it anyway), to become effective such weapons rely more on developping a powerful short jing than "the perfect technique" (you know what I mean, don't start the old "but powerful short jing is perfect technique anyway" thread, thanks hehehehehhe).

In conclusion: very good clips from someone who obviously know what he's talking about. Yet the gems are still hidden from the undiscriminating eye :)

Stacey
12-04-2002, 08:13 AM
it was good. He knows his stuff.

Taomonkey
12-04-2002, 08:45 AM
Gotta Love Those Aussies,

From this guy's clothing line...The dragon Thong

http://www.cafeshops.com/yaukungmun,realkungfu

Lowlynobody
12-04-2002, 07:34 PM
Anyone know of any more that have downloadable videos of all the Kung Fu forms?

If you haven't already, check out the short clip showing the start of Sek Sze Kuen here: http://www.yaukungmun.com.au/External%20Hand%20Forms.htm

BTW dont worry about sharky......Every one from London is like that and he dosent mean to be rude.....he just dosent know better.

He's just ****ed about the pommy cricket team..... :p

I didnt look at any of the clips as it takes me so long to down load anything but any martial art that advertises "distance learning " kind of makes me wonder.

Check out the clips and then say what you think rather than making a judgement based on nothing.

joedoe
12-04-2002, 07:56 PM
Isn't that fiercest_tiger's site?

dezhen2001
12-04-2002, 08:00 PM
FT: getting a lot of publicity here mate, nice one :D;)

dawood

Sharky
12-04-2002, 09:25 PM
"He's just ****ed about the pommy cricket team....."

Yes... that's exactly it.

Lowlynobody
12-05-2002, 12:35 AM
Yes... that's exactly it.

See, now you know that I have self-esteem issues and I know that your ****ed off cos of the english cricket team.....ain't assumptions grand?

Isn't that fiercest_tiger's site?

It sure is.

Rolling Elbow
12-05-2002, 09:55 AM
Awesome, i have allot of respect for FT and his art because there is no doubt in my mind that he understands his art and how to move and position himself. Case closed... he's also not another phony master..which i like even more!

Lowlynobody
12-05-2002, 07:51 PM
Where are all the opinionated MMA people when you need them?:D

Phrost
12-05-2002, 07:54 PM
Right here!

Heh, j/k.

I actually clicked on the link to mention that we just uploaded 3 San Soo technique vids on the site if you guys wanted to check them out.

Phrost - Lead Admin
www.mcdojo.com www.bullshido.tv
Exposing BS in the Martial Arts

Rolling Elbow
12-05-2002, 09:40 PM
San Soo has got to be one of the boradway productions of martial arts lol..huge sweeping exagerated motions and the visual power displayed by all the practitioners....geez, how about good solid, non telegraphed movement? I know its there, i just wish they would use it in their demos!

nospam
12-05-2002, 10:56 PM
Hey..

I didn't like tech numero uno cause I'm not a fan of double punches - not realistic.

Tech #2 was fine, and these types of movements are well learned, but as with all preconceived combos...the opponent has to be just in the right spot doing just the right move etc..

This isn't a critique on the stylist. I'm sure any techniques or combos I might post on my site would garner the same comments. Plus, we're all looking at this from different MA philosophies.

Other wise...cool ****.

nospam.
:cool:

Lowlynobody
12-06-2002, 09:23 PM
Nospam - Why in your opinion are double punches not realistic?

Phrost - Your the McDojo man. What do you think of the clips?

tnwingtsun
12-07-2002, 02:08 AM
WELL DONE FT!!

"the opponent has to be just in the right spot doing just the right move etc"

From what I've seen of YKM its a very much alive system like
its sister style White Eyebrow,so theres no need to worry if the
opponent is in the right spot,if he's in range,he's in the right spot(moving or not).

"I'm not a fan of double punches - not realistic."

Sure they are and can be given the right situation,the wrong one
I agree.

I like what Crimson Phoenix said,theres alot there the layperson can miss.

Rock on Gazz!!

Love those beer mugs!!!

SifuAbel
12-07-2002, 02:42 AM
"Phrost - Your the McDojo man. What do you think of the clips?"

Aw, he isn't going to like them.

First off, you don't look like you do enough steroids.

Secondly, there is no spandex in all of your clips.

Thirdly, its not wushu so he won't get it.(this is after all the limit of his KF experience, sparce as it was.)

Fouth, you don't have any Bas Rutten posters on your walls.

Finally, he'll need to have the opinions from three of his 14 year old Mcdojo members to give their critique first.
----------------------------------------------------------------
All in all, cool vids.

You showed great understanding of your art.

fiercest tiger
12-07-2002, 03:26 PM
Hi Buddy,

Interesting comment on why you dont think double strikes are non effective? Can you elabarate on that comment? What do you know about when attacking the body with double strikes to attacking with a single strike? does your CLF use double striking techniques at all?

Many thanks
FT

thanks everyone that liked the clips i will do more soon, does anyone wanna see a certain type of range?

FT

GunnedDownAtrocity
12-07-2002, 04:47 PM
well if you are begging for criticisim ....

the only thing i didnt like is that some of the movements looked a little sloppy when done slow . .. like when he was casually displaying pieces of the technique while talking. this is a pet peeve of mine due to the way i train and i realize it does not necessarily reflect his knowledge of the system or fighting ability. i also admit that this could very likely be attributed to the camera itself .... when you are talking to a camera it just changes sh!t.

the techniques themselves didn't really do anything for me either. i don't think that any of them sucked, they just weren't my style. i'm not a big fan of the phoenix eye (because i'm not good at it) and strangely some of the movements reminded me of jkd which im also not a big fan of. again ... i'm not saying they were no good just that they were differant from what i am used to so there must be something wrong with them.

on the positive, i think he moved very well when showing the technique with his student and he did an awesome job of conveying the principles of each technique via the camera . .. something that's not easy to do. he presented himself as down to earth without a hint of arrogance. all in all good clips done by a guy who looks like he could teach me a lot (though i'd have to set aside what's right to learn).

Lowlynobody
12-07-2002, 11:18 PM
Hey GDA thanks for the post.

the only thing i didnt like is that some of the movements looked a little sloppy when done slow..... like when he was casually displaying pieces of the technique while talking. this is a pet peeve of mine due to the way i train

Can you explain this a bit better? Due to the way you train? How so? In what way were the moves done sloppy?

I've never seen JKD so I have no idea how closely the techniques shown could resemble JKD.

What Art do you practice?

Again thanks for checking out the clips and for the post.

GunnedDownAtrocity
12-08-2002, 10:05 AM
my sifu teaches wudan, pukulan, and jujitsu. (probably because of the heavy wudan influance) he is very adamant on practicing all movements very slow so that you learn to get your entire body behind every movement ... . you actually get the time to feel everything that's happening everywhere while training this way. you even spar this way for most of your time as a beginer and a good part of your time as an advanced student. due to this type of training i am accustomed to seeing movements performed with the same grace when done slow as fiercest tiger displayed when actually showing the techniques on his student. like i said though .... this is a stylistic difference and may just be due to the presence of the camera. as well as he moved otherwise im willing to bet he could do the same thing slow, but was more worried about presenting the material accurately to the camera at the time.

like i said though, i thought the clips were good, but you seemed to really want someone to point out anything they could criticize. being that i was only able to pull out pety sh!t soley based on opinion, i would say that it further exemplifies a job well done.

GunnedDownAtrocity
12-08-2002, 10:06 AM
.... plus i don't want fiercest tiger to kick my ass.

Phrost
12-08-2002, 10:09 AM
Originally posted by Lowlynobody
Phrost - Your the McDojo man. What do you think of the clips?

They look ok to me. The only thing I'd like to see is how it would be demonstrated on a live, resisting opponent. It's too easy to "simulate" just about anything with a compliant, helpful partner.

Sifu Abel, I've also got a Wing Chun background as well. I don't wear spandex or do steroids, but I do have a picture of Royce Gracie tapping out Jason Delucia with an arm bar on my wall if that makes you happy.

But I also have a copy of Inside Kung Fu on my wall, with my Wing Chun Sifu's son on the cover.

David
12-08-2002, 10:34 AM
GDA, I don't think you can do these moves in slo mo without missing the point of them. In the Southern shorthand, it's all in the last instant (the moment of contact) and you train as if there was nigh on zero distance to target.

Depends on specific circumstances but the shock power has no discernable build up time. As a beginner, you collect the power like ****ing a crossbow then release it instantaneously. The collecting can be done slow but eventually you have to speed that up, too, or get nowhere.

Hope I'm not assuming too much about YKM, FT...

-David

GunnedDownAtrocity
12-08-2002, 10:56 AM
it can all be done slow mo.

GunnedDownAtrocity
12-08-2002, 10:57 AM
.... doesnt mean you have to or that you dont need to also do the movements fast to get the hang of the power you are generating, but it can definately all be done slow

David
12-08-2002, 11:50 AM
GDA

OK, I practice very slowly sometimes to feel shifting balance etc in my body (as you say you do). This is something I got from studying taiji. In my training, I'd save that for private meditative training at home: nobody could learn by watching me do my slow stuff and it's completely useless to film it for anyone else to watch.

Can you clap in slo-mo? There are a hundred ways of bringing your hands together but it's only the moment of contact that has any bearing on understanding the activity.

Short power is like that. You can't easily see it and when you do see it, it's easy to misread what you've witnessed. As it is, these clips tell a very complex story and I don't pretend to know much of what's going on there. But I do think that in slo-mo, the entire point of this style (which, I guess, differs fundamentally from yours) would be lost.

There are form clips on the site (linked in this thread) which give an idea of some of the principles of body carriage and motion. They are easier to follow with the eye.

I'm trying to avoid labouring my point but, for some reason, I'm feeling very interlecheral tonight. :o

-David

GunnedDownAtrocity
12-08-2002, 03:28 PM
i hear ya brother, but i wasn't trying to say he should have done it slow for the clip. your right ... there'd be no point. i was just saying that when he did move slow, when talking about ****, it didnt seem to have the same precision as when he was executing the move.

i also think that the movements that generate short power could be preformed slowly with noticable benifits. maybe i have a misunderstanding of what you mean by short power, but i'm pretty sure i got the drift.

again ... i do want to make it clear that im not suggesting that practicing slowly is the only way to train, the only way to get results, or that you don't need to train other ways if you do train slow.

Lowlynobody
12-08-2002, 07:49 PM
You comments are ok GDA. I would say all comments are welcome as long as they are not of the "the clips are crap, that's all there is to it" variety.

What I was after was views from people who study different arts. Seeing as I've had little experience training in other MA other than YKM and tend to think in terms of YKM.

Speaking for myself I would say that the shock power in YKM does not (or shouldn't) have any build up. One is relaxed until the point of contact, then "shock" for an instant, then relaxed again, flowing into the next technique.

I train my forms from time to time in a slow manner. Completing each technique in 3 - 5 slow, deep, controlled breaths. I find it helps with muscle control and correct technique. Also to be more relaxed when I'm doing my forms at normal speed.

To phoenix-eye someone in the heart and throat causing their vital functions (breath especially) shut down just to demonstrate that it works on someone who resists doesn't sounds like a good idea to me. I'm sure as hell not volunteering :p

Cheers guys

Lowlynobody.

Rolling Elbow
12-08-2002, 08:06 PM
Guys,

Nothing looks good on a resisting opponent...it just has to work. and about YKM looking like JKD... which one do you think came first?

GunnedDownAtrocity
12-09-2002, 12:12 AM
"and about YKM looking like JKD... which one do you think came first?"

i didnt even say that it was a bad thing ... just that it's not my thing. jeesh.

David
12-09-2002, 02:01 AM
Sorry GDA, I see that you only meant the aesthetic while he (FT) was talking. I knew I was being overkill/stupid somewhere in there :o

-David

nospam
12-09-2002, 06:58 AM
fiercest tiger,

The double punch goes against my MA principle- one hand in one hand out. The one hand in (depending on the time of the movement) is the strike while the second hand is en guard or has just removed a guard/block/leg..what have you. It is a 'piston' principle.

In my Bak Hsing CLF we do have the odd double-handed movement. I do not subscribe to these moves and they are not fundamental. It is my experience that they are ineffectual. It is also my preference to use multiple single strikes..working both hands in unison. To execute a double strike would throw my forward momentum off, which is paramount to my style. We cover a lot of ground when we fight.

Plus, and inconjunction with momentum...if I execute a double strike it is my firm belief my power is thus halved. And no..I am not 'doing it wrong' but thank you for the critique.

It simple goes against my style and our movement. Nevertheless, I have not removed this from our patterns and I have taught it on the odd occasion as it is not for me to limit future generations based on my biases. My perspective is to teach ALL that I have been taught (to disciples) - the rest will take care of itself.

nospam.

fiercest tiger
12-09-2002, 02:10 PM
Thanks for the breakdown of how you teach and use your bak sing choy lee fut!

each to there own, we in ykm dont always use a double strike but in close is good to use, so ikeep all options open mate.

thanks and all the best
FT

nospam
12-09-2002, 04:39 PM
Precisely, that is the beauty of Chinese gung fu - they are so many and varied.

There isn't a wrong or right way - just your way, my way or their way.

nospam.

fiercest tiger
12-09-2002, 05:09 PM
True that my friend!

take care
FT;)

GunnedDownAtrocity
12-09-2002, 05:17 PM
hey ft check out the phoenix eye thread. as i stated earlier i'm not a big fan of it (cause i suck at it), so your input on its differant applications would be appreciated.

my sifu also loves this strike but i wont be talking to him for a little bit yet.