PDA

View Full Version : Shamrock wants to learn Tai Chi

Cipher
12-04-2002, 08:27 AM
http://www.sherdog.com/interviews/fshamrock_02/shamrock_03.htm
Mike Sloan: Is there a certain form of martial arts that you've always wanted to learn but never had the chance to?

Frank Shamrock: Yeah. Thai Chi. It's one thing I've always wanted. I even have a tape on it, but I've never watched it.

Mike Sloan: Why not, no time?

Frank Shamrock: No time. Unfortunately, I have very little free time.

Mike Sloan: Why Thai Chi, because of all the pressure point contact or the fluid motions?

Frank Shamrock: I think it's more of the idea or theory of connecting your mind to its body in a situation that's good for you and its empowering physically and mentally, as well as fluidity. That's a very heavy statement, but I would love to do Thai Chi. What I do is the same stuff because, you know, submission fighting is Thai Chi times a hundred because it's for entertainment, money and it's under rules. It's still an art form, but it's much rougher.

Chang Style Novice
12-04-2002, 08:28 AM
lol at "Thai Chi"

Xebsball
12-04-2002, 08:32 AM
:D LOL

Cipher
12-04-2002, 08:47 AM
Edit: Never mind:rolleyes:

Haha, I didn't catch that when I first read it.

Crimson Phoenix
12-04-2002, 09:14 AM
OMG that what sweet...
All y'all from the UFCs and NHBs shall shiver and fear now!!!!!

Waidan
12-04-2002, 10:31 AM
That's cool, because I've always wanted to learn professional wrassling. It's like bagua times one hundred, because you get to wear a fancy mask, and a lot of your palm changes are done off the top rope.

Ford Prefect
12-04-2002, 11:44 AM
Wrong Shamrock. Frank never pro-wrestled.

red5angel
12-04-2002, 11:49 AM
Especially for you CMA/TMA guys, Tai Chi can really increase your performance if taught to you correctly and done correctly. When I was studying wingchun, I made some of my biggest leaps when I started doing taichi, it really unifies the body, brings it all together.

Nevermind
12-04-2002, 11:54 AM
You don't study Wing Chun anymore? What happened? You seemed to really like it.

red5angel
12-04-2002, 11:57 AM
:) Nevermind, I still do wingchun on the side but stopped formal trianing for now so I can pursue a sport fighting career. I am not getting any younger and wingchun skill is a long term goal. Right now I do wingchun an hour a day so I am keeping at it.
For what its worth, I still like wingchun for street fighting, I like its efficiency and its ease of use. I just wanted to get into some sporting events in the next few years and so decided to train with a school around here who trains fighters for competition. They teach mostly Kali and Grappling (BJJ and I think some sort of indonesian grappling) boxing and some other stuff I am not doing.

by the way I would kill to get "Kid With the Golden Arm" on DVD!!! Its my favorite Shaw flick.

kungfu cowboy
12-04-2002, 12:43 PM
Kid with the Golden Arm rocked! HK Flix has got it.

Kristoffer
12-04-2002, 12:52 PM
Thai Cheeze :D

Guts
12-04-2002, 02:04 PM
Frank Shamrock has always impressed me. He wrote an article on visulization and how it is possibly the most important thing for a fighter. There's a mind there. No matter what the style, you can always learn something good from him when he offers advice.

friday
12-04-2002, 03:07 PM
hey what kinda groundwork style does Frank do or has done.

thanks

omarthefish
12-04-2002, 06:17 PM
Originally posted by Ford Prefect
Wrong Shamrock. Frank never pro-wrestled.

Wrong.

He did pro wrestle. Just briefly. He was already a superstar in the Shootfighting circuit. This was post UFC and it only lasted a few months.

I can't remember where I heard it but I thought it was kind of funny.

KnightSabre
12-04-2002, 11:40 PM
Frank studies submission grappling,it's basically BJJ without the gi,it's quit a popular way yo learn BJJ,especially if you're into fighting in MMA comps.It's faster and looser than traditional BJJ as the gi doesn't inhibit your movements.

Ford Prefect
12-05-2002, 08:30 AM
Wrong.

He did pro wrestle. Just briefly. He was already a superstar in the Shootfighting circuit. This was post UFC and it only lasted a few months.

I can't remember where I heard it but I thought it was kind of funny.

Find me the source on this and I'll believe it. Post UFC, he focussed on acting. Tried to break into movies, but only landed a slot on a BK commercial. He then had shoulder surgery and rehabbed it for quite some time until he fought Elvis Sinosic in a K-1. He worked on his stand-up a lot and fought Shannon Ritch in a K-1 rules match. He broke Shannon's arm with a kick. Dunno what he did after that as I stopped paying attention, but I'm sure I would have heard of any pro wrestling work.

Edit: I just did a search and couldn't find anything. He didn't mention it in any interviews and there is nothing about it on his web site.

Former castleva
12-05-2002, 04:59 PM
Maybe it was thai chi he wanted to learn?
Forget about it then,CMA and MMA just won´t mix...

Brad
12-05-2002, 05:25 PM
Wasn't it Ken Shamrock that pro wrestled?

LEGEND
12-05-2002, 09:19 PM
Frank Shamrock has NEVER done PRO WRESTLING! He fought in PANCRASE and SHOOTO while in JAPAN.

omarthefish
12-06-2002, 03:30 AM
My mistake. Thanks Brad. It was Ken who pro-wrestled. It's on his homepage www.kenshamrock.com I got the two of them mixed up.

Ford Prefect
12-06-2002, 07:22 AM
Take that sucka! Watch you mouth call me wrong! ;)

omarthefish
12-06-2002, 08:10 AM
how humiliating...

ewallace
12-06-2002, 02:14 PM
It's quite refreshing to find that I am not the only one who still says "sucka". :)

jun_erh
12-06-2002, 07:03 PM
Now I want to learn thai chi!!!