PDA

View Full Version : ATT: Question for students of David Bond Chan

Stranger
12-04-2002, 08:41 AM
Did I recall one of you posting that the sword and staff classes at your school are taught independently from the empty hand systems? If so, does the fencing style rely on a pre-existing knowledge of hsing-i, pakua, and tai chi? If not, could a person with no training in CMA become proficient in this fencing method? If so, are any members of the kwoon currently studying in this manner?

Can you describe the sword used in this style in greater detail than "it's a two-handed sabre"? (ie. blade length, appearance of hand fixtures, nature of the scabbard (if any), nature of wearing the sword (if it is worn)?

I know that you are not supposed to discuss certain aspects of the sword curriculum (based on reading other posts), but
I'm not asking for technique or strategy information (the top paragraph can be answered yes/no if necessary.

Ray Pina
12-04-2002, 11:56 AM
How are you? My focus is hand-to-hand right now, but I'll try to let one of my school brothers/sisters know that this post is here. I'm a little busy at work right now, so just hang tight.

Peace
Ray

Stranger
12-05-2002, 06:08 AM
I've been fine, and hope you are as well.

I'll keep an eye on this forum in case it takes a little time for somebody in the know to respond.

Stranger
12-06-2002, 03:59 PM
Hello?
:confused:
:o
:D

Carl M
12-09-2002, 09:52 AM
I rarely surf on the internet, but one of my classmates e-mailed your post to me. Apparently, some people have a lot more time on their hands than me. I'm really swamped with work, but I like people who are interested in fencing; here's the quick reply:

1. No background is required, as all beginners are taught from scratch at this school, regardless of the system they enroll in.

2. The size and shape of the sabre is up to the individual (budget, size, aesthetics, etc.). While our school has its own requirements, it's understood that not everyone can afford a custom made sword. Just don't get stainless steel - it's too brittle!

Thank you for your interest, and best of luck in finding what you're searching for!

- Carl
:) :) :)

Stranger
12-09-2002, 02:55 PM
Thanks for the response. :)

Dachengdao
12-20-2002, 04:45 PM
Hi KFO friends! Does anyone know a fellow by the name of Dan Hills? He's claiming to be a top student of Master David Bond Chan, but Master Chan didn't remember the name when I inquired. Anyway, this guy has thrown down the gauntlet so I want to see if anyone can verify who he is. Thanks for any info!

HispanicPalm
12-20-2002, 10:08 PM
Dachengdao,

You might want to check the blacktaoist forum and inquire cause I'm sure their has been a Dan Hills posting up there.

Hope this helps

PEACE :)

Dachengdao
12-22-2002, 09:05 PM
Hello everyone,
Thank you for all the messages I received! This Dan Hills person AKA Dan Walker is a poser. He emailed me saying David Bond Chan wanted to send him to prove I'm a fake. Then he emails Blacktaoist teacher, Master Chen Xiou Ping saying he's Sifu Bell's student and tries to make trouble between those two. Then he makes a nasty post about me on Blacktaoist forum. Bottom line is he challenged me but he was a no show. In my book he's a fake.

Carl M
12-29-2002, 11:51 AM
Hmmm...I had nothing to do while on vacation, and what do I see? A post re: this Dan Hills character. Well, I'm one of the old timers at the school and ... I've never heard of this character. Hispanic Palm is right: looks like a poseur is skulking around, making trouble. Perhaps if Mr. Hills has a little too much time on his hands....

Peace, all, especially to BT & his cool crew.

- Carl