PDA

View Full Version : Sparring question

KC Elbows
12-04-2002, 10:22 AM
When sparring juniors, do you take it easy on them?

My opinion is that, to let another succeed falsely is not helping them. Sure you may have built confidence, but at the cost of technique. Build technique, and there is something to have confidence in.

So, when people spar me, they spar me how I spar. If they succeed, it is because they earned it. They can have it easy with their juniors. One day, hopefully they'll become my better.

I can see the merit of taking it easy on them, especially if they are the least experienced, but I figure soon enough, there will be someone junior to them.

Any thoughts?

apoweyn
12-04-2002, 10:34 AM
i think there's a place for taking it easy. letting them worry about one thing at a time. i think you're right that if you're using that sparring match as an overall test of development, then taking it easy is a disservice. but if it's a learning tool, people sometimes need to learn by worrying about one thing at a time. and to isolate those variables, often you don't go after them with everything you've got.

stuart b.

dnc101
12-04-2002, 11:03 AM
Depends on what you mean by taking it easy.

When sparring someone of lesser ability/junior rank, you are in an instructional role. I do not go all out on them, but I do push them. Sometimes with new students I take a purely defensive role and instruct them on basics- things like maneuvering, keeping their guard up, changing up their attacks- you know the drill. Then I'll start throwing a few strikes, often just touching their targets, to demonstrate why they need that guard in place. Coming on hard to these guys would only teach them to cringe or run.

With someone of more experience and ability I usually try to fight at or just above their level. And when they work up to that higher level, I don't necessarily escalate my level. I stay there and if they beat me, they've earned it. They feel good about it, but they know the difference. Next time, of course, we go a little harder. And there are some people you can go all out on, and they eat it up. Every one is a little different. I just try to remember I'm not there to feed my own ego (like it needs that sometimes :D ).

Incidentally, when I look for sparring partners I try to find fighters with more experience than me and that have this same instructional attitude. Personally, I don't mind if they stomp me to dust, but I would like to know how they did it!

Water Dragon
12-04-2002, 11:16 AM
Well, if you're a senior sparring a junior you're doing it for one of two reasons:

1. To make the Junior better
2. To make your Ego bigger

Figure out which one it is, and you found your answer.

red5angel
12-04-2002, 11:17 AM
I have to go with Ap on this, I think there is a time and a place for everything. For one thing, if you are turning it on all the time with new guys, it could be a frustrating experience and that could turn them away. I cant see a problem with letting them know everyonce in a while that you are going to be harder on them then usual, but definitely not all the time.
I think a good way to do it would be to turn it up just enough to make them work extra hard to stop from getting hit or kicked. Everytime you spar with them turn it up a little more.

KC Elbows
12-04-2002, 11:50 AM
Good points, all.

When I'm talking sparring, I guess I mean full on, not talking about drilling("you try to use these techniques, I'll just be using jabs and hooks"). I think it's important that part of sparring time always be the full tilt deal(once they're ready), because that's the only way they'll learn to deal with the frenzy of it all, when they go into it on a regular basis, IMO.

I guess I don't think of drilling as sparring. Just a difference in semantics I guess. So I guess I do take it easy on them at times, but I go hard on them just as much. I also try to explain, saying "It's not about how you do right now, it's about learning from it." I also make sure they know the difference between when they're drilling and when it's full on.

Some might think it's ego, but it seems to be working with the students. They grow more fearless with each class, and better understand that I can be hit, not because I let them, but because they just do it on their own, despite my defences. I also give them every mental advantage possible. I tell them my favorite combos, not for them to use, but so they see how to work around them. One of our newest guys seems to have figured out a great counter to one combo of mine. He pulls it all the time now, and so I always have to change techniques. He did it by fighting hard against as many different people as possible, and never wanting me to take it easy on him.

I also tell them all the weaknesses of my body type. See, I'm big, and, IME, if I take it easy on them when it's supposed to be full sparring, they will always feel like I'm just being nice, and even if they're getting better, they'll think that they could never beat me, which is not at all true. It is the same with my teacher-we always strive to surpass him, and though we get closer each day, we still have not done it.

Anyway, just examining my practices. Perhaps I'll change my approach to include more time to explain what's getting them hit, or what is working for them. And I guess we do have 'drill time' that approaches sparring.