PDA

View Full Version : Getting Angry

red5angel
12-04-2002, 11:30 AM
Does anyone find that when they begin to weight lift or train in the martial arts in earnest, they get more aggressive?
I have noticed two things, when weight lifting I get more aggressive, sometimes even more grouchy. This could very well just be a byproduct of my tired state from working out so hard.
When I train intensely in the martial arts I find myself sizing people up more.
Basically I noticed that while I am training with weights or MA, I find myself in a more heighten state of readiness for aggression. Anyone else epxerience anything like this?

Water Dragon
12-04-2002, 11:32 AM
Yeah. You get used to it.

Arhat of Fury
12-04-2002, 11:34 AM
Yep, its the nature of the beast.

red5angel
12-04-2002, 11:38 AM
what do you guys think? Is it chemical? I am no expert in the biochemical workings of the brain so have no idea what could cause it. I do know testosterone can increase with weight lifting...
How about the ladies? Do you girls have the same problem?

SevenStar
12-04-2002, 11:41 AM
There is CMA training that does this also.

dnc101
12-04-2002, 12:03 PM
Originally posted by red5angel
Does anyone find that when they begin to weight lift or train in the martial arts in earnest, they get more aggressive?

You are apparently experiencing too much YANG from serious practice of a hard/external martial art. (There, now don't I sound nollaguble?) You should repost this on the Tai Chi board and ask them what you can do about it.

The best I can do is give you a quote from Wong Kiew Kit in his Complete Book of Tai Chi Chuan: "Some martial artists stress only the fighting aspects of their art, often sacrificing their health... . But more serious even than this physical injury is the emotional and spiritual damage they do. They can sometimes become aggressive and brutal... ." He goes on to talk about the need to ballance the hard and soft, physical and spiritual, fighting and healing, and all other aspects of the martial arts. This ballance of yin and yang is basic Taoist philosophy.

Several years ago I had the privilage of meeting Sifu Joseph Simonet. He told me at that time that "Tai Chi will transform you." I only recently started a Tai Chi Chuan class, in addition to my base (American Kenpo). I'm only a rank begginer, but I think he was right.

Oh, and yes, I have been told I have some overaggressive tendencies. But before I took up the martial arts, I was just an ass hole.

TjD
12-04-2002, 12:06 PM
usually training/lifting makes me feel happier. i may be sore the next day but a good workout always lifts my spirits

mabye your just an angry person and have issues to work out :) like why you quit wing chun :D

Sharky
12-04-2002, 12:07 PM
I er, must be wierd cos i feel quite happy after i've been lifting, a lil bit of a high.

i get aggressive from boxing training however

Kristoffer
12-04-2002, 12:30 PM
Regular training/boxing/sparring/SC/pumping ****/PE... All get me calm like a bomb. Not agressive.

Ford Prefect
12-04-2002, 12:59 PM
It's hormonal. It's like a natural roid rage.

BeiKongHui
12-04-2002, 01:18 PM
I get cranky and aggressive if I don't work out. I can be in a horrible mood and a good hard workout always puts me in a better mood.

eulerfan
12-04-2002, 02:09 PM
I have to agree with S, B and K, here. I'm happy right after. I'm calmer in the long run. When I stop for a period, I generally become a bit more p!ssy as a human being.

It does other things, too.

I won't be explicit but, if you are interested in a girl at your gym, don't try to chat her up until AFTER she's worked out. You'll increase your chances by about 50%.

quiet man
12-04-2002, 02:12 PM
Thanks for the tip, eulerfan! You're a life savior :D ;) . We'll name the baby after you :D

red5angel
12-04-2002, 02:31 PM
Thanks so far peeps!

The yang thing is interesting, I do taichi in the mornings however, it does seem to help keep me calm.

As for feeling good, dont get me wrong, I feel great after working out and I experience the same thing if I dont workout for a while, but I find that if I start to train hard, like recently, I feel more aggressive, like my patience is shorter, thinsg like that. I may have painted this picture of a knuckle dragging thug stalking the hallways and streets looking for an excuse to fight but that s not it, I just feel like I am that much closer, if that makes any sense?

LOL@ Eulerfan, I know what you mean, I dated a russian body builder and we used to lift weights together and I ended up spending many n evening after a good workout..... :)

LOL@ TjD, no angst here, I actually feel pretty good about my choice but it sounds like others might be irritated at it! :)

eulerfan
12-04-2002, 02:35 PM
Originally posted by quiet man
Thanks for the tip, eulerfan! You're a life savior :D ;) . We'll name the baby after you :D

No problem, just trying to spread the joy.

Ajax
12-04-2002, 03:39 PM
I feel more aggressive now than I did before I started training, and I'm kinda wondering where that's going to lead. 10 months ago I would never have thought of throwing a punch at someone, now every time some guy passes me on the sidewalk I find myself planning my moves should he come at me with a sudden boot kick or sucker punch... when he doesn't I can't help feeling slightly disappointed. I went to see a Shaolin performance recently and I thought yeah, I could take them. On the other hand, after three hours of hard training I am a model of bonhomie.

IronFist
12-04-2002, 04:45 PM
I usually feel good after I finish lifting. I don't know about the more aggressive thing. That sounds like you've joined a frat or started juicing or something.

Maybe it's more confidence. After training, you're like "yeah, I could whoop on him."

I think if anything, MA has made me more calm in general. Instead of being all aggressive and wanting to kick people's asses, I tend to use my head a little bit more (but always be ready for something to go down).

IronFist

quiet man
12-04-2002, 04:52 PM
now every time some guy passes me on the sidewalk I find myself planning my moves should he come at me with a sudden boot kick or sucker punch...

Ajax - I TOTALLY know what you mean. I take a good look at someone and think "for him, no more than 2 punches" :D . But I don't get disappointed when nothing happens. If nobody messes with me - well, that's just the way I want it to be.

neptunesfall
12-04-2002, 05:58 PM
do a few min of qigong and then eat after you workout. you won't be so irritable.

red5angel
12-05-2002, 10:25 AM
Neptunesfall - good idea, I might have to try that!