PDA

View Full Version : a school

eulerfan
12-04-2002, 03:15 PM
What do you guys think is this school? Any thoughts. Questions you'd ask? Reservations you'd have? Good things? Bad things?

All opinions appreciated.

http://www.wushu-kungfu.com/main.html

dnc101
12-04-2002, 03:29 PM
Eulerfan, if this school is affiliated with, or even associated with, Dr. Jwing-Ming Yang, that is all the recomendation I'd need to at least try it for a while. I'd say try it out and see if it fits. Good luck!

Souljah
12-04-2002, 04:51 PM
I've got a book with both of them in it - shaolin long fist.....bout 20 years old though but still very good

eulerfan
12-04-2002, 09:18 PM
Awesome. Thanks.

Serpent
12-04-2002, 09:30 PM
Looks to me to be a little bit expensive (very strange fee structure) and there's not that much class time. However, definitely check it out. Let his kung fu speak for itself. I have some concerns though.

Laughing Cow
12-04-2002, 09:35 PM
Eulerfan.

Go and check it out it might be ok, but I also got a few reservations.

There are also additional classes in taiji self-defense (stationary and moving push hands),

This raised a red flag or two.

Just my 0.2 Cents worth.

eulerfan
12-04-2002, 09:40 PM
Why does that raise a red flag?

Laughing Cow
12-04-2002, 09:46 PM
eulerfan.

Push hand training should be part of the standard curriculum.

It is a way to train listening skill and only one of the steps towards the martial skills embodied in Tai Chi.

In the Classics it is written.

Form practice teaches you about yourself, Tui Shou (Push hand) teaches you about others.

Just my 0.2 Cents worth.

Laughing Cow
12-04-2002, 10:09 PM
Eulerfan.

Here is a split of what the system I learn entails:

Tai Chi splits into:
1.) Body Movements
2.) Martial Skill
3.) Basic Theory

Body Movements splits as follows:
1 ) Yi
2) Qi
3) Forms
3.1) Inner Form
3.2 ) Outer Form

Martial Skill splits as follows:
1.) Tui Shou (Push Hands)
2.) San shou (Sparring hands)
3.) Weapons

Basic Theory splits as follows:
1.) Taoism & Confucianism
2.) Chinese medicine & Healing Methods
3.) Spirits

You can get benefits from Tai Chi without learning the martial side, but those are diminished ones.

To train for the martial side you will also need Zhang Zhuang and things like "silk reeling" exercises.

Just my 0.2 cents worth.

cha kuen
12-04-2002, 10:56 PM
Jeff Bolt is probalby okay.

Kung Fu Books (http://cgi6.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewSellersOtherItems&userid=taichimaster06&include=0&since=-1&sort=3&rows=25)

red5angel
12-05-2002, 07:36 AM
The pricing seems a little strange, and that always makes me a little bit leery. It seems like push hands should be part of the normal regimen to me, although he may have his own reasons for splitting it up. Like osmeone said above, check it out and see how you feel about it.

[Censored]
12-05-2002, 12:12 PM
It seems like push hands should be part of the normal regimen to me

If some people are only interested in doing the forms then why should they be forced to push hands?

Laughing Cow
12-05-2002, 01:24 PM
Originally posted by [Censored]
It seems like push hands should be part of the normal regimen to me

If some people are only interested in doing the forms then why should they be forced to push hands?

If People only want to do the forms, than they can join a place that teaches the competition or demo Tai Chi forms.

This place teaches Yang Tai Chi which is a Martial A.rt, the 108 Yang form if taught fully and traditional can take up to 5~6 yrs to learn.

Just my 0.2 cents worth.

[Censored]
12-05-2002, 02:13 PM
If People only want to do the forms, than they can join a place that teaches the competition or demo Tai Chi forms.

LOL, would you send students away to do fake forms, out of spite? They shouldn't be allowed to practice the real movements unless they are willing to push hands?

Why not just let people be involved at whatever level they are comfortable with, and have some time set aside for those who are specifically interested in martial application? Sounds like an ideal solution to me.

Laughing Cow
12-05-2002, 02:23 PM

LOL, would you send students away to do fake forms, out of spite? They shouldn't be allowed to practice the real movements unless they are willing to push hands?

Why do you say that those forms are fake and that the movements are not real??

Why not just let people be involved at whatever level they are comfortable with, and have some time set aside for those who are specifically interested in martial application? Sounds like an ideal solution to me.

Maybe an ideal solution for you.
But what if someone doesn't teach full-time, but only a few lessons a week.
My Sifu teaches after work and on weekends, People that come solely for forms soon leave or change to the Yang 24 Class taught close by.

I personally don't want to train with people that are not sincere about studying my style.

Just my 0.2 Cents worth.

red5angel
12-05-2002, 03:20 PM
Censored, taichi is a fighting art, if you dont want to fight go run or something... ;)
Of course you frequent the wingchun forum often so I imagine you are probably just doin it for the art because why cant we all get along and its great excersise?

3 words: Tae Bo

[Censored]
12-05-2002, 03:37 PM
Why do you say that those forms are fake and that the movements are not real??

:) I think you know why, but I'll keep playing. Why do you say that people who don't push should do those forms and not the 108?

But what if someone doesn't teach full-time, but only a few lessons a week. My Sifu teaches after work and on weekends, People that come solely for forms soon leave or change to the Yang 24 Class taught close by.

Sorry, I thought we were talking about the school at http://www.wushu-kungfu.com/main.html, which teaches a concentrated push hands class immediately after mixed/forms practice. I thought we were talking about how or why this is a "red flag". I didn't realize we were talking about your own Sifu and class.

I can see how attendence by the "insincere" would benefit them, but I can't figure how it harms you. :confused:

Laughing Cow
12-05-2002, 03:44 PM

:) I think you know why, but I'll keep playing.

Only TROLLS play. ;)

Why do you say that people who don't push should do those forms and not the 108?

If People don't want to learn the MA applications than they should go to a place that doesn't teach those, hence my referal to Competitions and Demo forms.

I can see how attendence by the "insincere" would benefit them, but I can't figure how it harms you. :confused:

If you can't figure it out for yourself, I won't tell you either.
;)

Just my 0.2 Cents worth,

[Censored]
12-05-2002, 03:54 PM
Censored, taichi is a fighting art, if you dont want to fight go run or something...

LOL, I have a picture in my head of you running around a Beijing park in the morning, screaming at old ladies: "STOP STOP STOP! You're all doing it wrong! It's a FIGHTING ART you SISSIES!" :D

Of course you frequent the wingchun forum often so I imagine you are probably just doin it for the art...

Correct. :)

...because why cant we all get along and its great excersise?

Wing Chun is not great exercise.

3 words: Tae Bo

Well then, I have two words for you: Comic Book Guy.

red5angel
12-05-2002, 03:59 PM
"LOL, I have a picture in my head of you running around a Beijing park in the morning, screaming at old ladies: "STOP STOP STOP! You're all doing it wrong! It's a FIGHTING ART you SISSIES!" "

"Well then, I have two words for you: Comic Book Guy"

that was actualy pretty funny, good one Censored! :D

Brad
12-05-2002, 04:43 PM
If someone learns for health only, then it's better to learn from someone who has a complete understanding of the art and can modify it acordingly. And Tai Chi is much better for health(specially for older people) than Tae Bo ;-) Tai Chi is one of the best exercises for older people to do and it would be unfair for them to be regulated to only teachers who had partial understanding of what they're teaching. Plus Tai Chi for health=$$$$ :D

And the competition forms also have application taught with them too so that argument doesn't make much sense either. ;)

Crimson Phoenix
12-06-2002, 02:38 AM
Plus, before everyone start a "who's got the bigger one" fight, has anyone of you ever considered that maybe push hands were part of the taiji classes, yet there are specific push hands classes on the side? That's what they do at my school: you have the taiji classes, complete with push hands and weaponsand all you can think of in taiji, yet there are also two additionnal classes that contain ONLY push hands (by that I mean no form, weapons etc...).
Ahhhhh...assumptions :)