PDA

View Full Version : Taichi and Wudang swords/weapons

dre_doggX
12-04-2002, 03:52 PM
Alright does have any information on the Wudang weapons, espeacialy Wudang Sword form.

RAF
12-04-2002, 04:20 PM
Here we go:

In general, the Wudang sword was basically created by General/Warlord Li Jing Lin. He hired a swordsman by the name of Song Wei Yi who may or may not have been a daoist monk. Song Wei Yi claimed to have learned the sword from a daoist in the mountains (How many of these stories of wandering daoist does it take to make a fact? There's a punch line in there somewhere!).

If you go to the sword forum and look under my post on Yang Sword history, I have the citation for that. Song Wei Yi also was said to have learned Yang's taiji from Yang Lu Chan but if the dates are correct, Song Wei Yi would have been 14 when Yang Lu Chan died. Most likely he learned Yang taiji from one of the sons.

Interesting note: in Barbara Davis's book on the Taiji Sword a translation of Chen Wei Ming's taiji sword book (Chen Wei Ming was a disciple of Yang Cheng Fu and had a school in Shanghai during the 1930s). Met and observed Li Jing Lin's sword and proclaimed it a true taiji sword (no THE true taiji sword but a taiji sword form).

Unsubstantiated theory is that Song Wei Yi traded his sword system with Yang Ban Hou for instruction in the Yang form. Fu Zhen Song described Song Wei Yi's taiji as rocket fists and ahhh I forget dammn it! Oh yeah, rocket fists and lightning palms.

Any other Wudang material I have no idea its origin or claims. EM has wudang taiji forms and wudang spear but I don't know anything about its history or lineage and everytime his name comes up a flame war starts. Besides, names don't mean much as long as you are getting basic training in the weapon, especially the sword.

Good luck in your search.