PDA

View Full Version : tired of WC bashing

Bortacus
12-04-2002, 09:27 PM
I am a novice to wing chun and all martial arts period. So I don't know if this topic has been covered on here yet, or whatever, but I have noticed a lot of bashing of traditional martial arts, WC in particular. I don't have enough experience in WC to really have a good opinion on anything like how WC is supposedly a waste of time, and other tactless things I have read. I recently saw a video on www.mcdojo.com that showed a WC guy getting the crap kicked out of him by a shotokan karate guy. I admit, the WC guy was terrible, but this is not grounds to judge WC by. I just don't think it's fair. I don't go around saying TKD sucks because I saw some idiot who didn't know how to apply his skills was getting beat by some other system. I was curious to hear other peoples' opinions on this matter.

Bortacus
12-04-2002, 09:38 PM
correction, the WC guy sparred a Kyokushin Karate guy, but it's beside the point.

cha kuen
12-04-2002, 10:44 PM
You'll see that in any style where they get beat up by another style. Any style of marital arts still has to learn the basics of a fight, fighting position, emotional psychology, strategy, distance fighting, composure..

**wing chun books (http://cgi6.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewSellersOtherItems&userid=taichimaster06&include=0&since=-1&sort=3&rows=25)

Miles Teg
12-04-2002, 11:07 PM
I think we have talked about the clip you are talking about.

Did the guy go down with a kick? And was there some footage of his training routine before the fight?

If Im right you should go and check out this topic when it was talked about, it will be a very old thread now.

We all pretty much agreed that the guy in question was terrible, and we had no idea what type of WC he was training cause the forms and drills he was practicing looked nothing like what we had ever seen before, while it still had the look of some type of Yip Man Wing CHun offset. The hand technique drills with the partner were incredibly `Unwing CHun`, seeming to have no purpose at all.

None of us have seen anything like it before.

S.Teebas
12-05-2002, 12:51 AM
That guys WC was a joke. He had no concept of using body mass and used little girl hits.

I wonder why at the beggining of the clip he was doing a Hung Gar exercise?

OdderMensch
12-05-2002, 02:17 AM
and the best part....the jogging! For some reason it seems they had to get a shot of all the fighters jogging, and the whole "kung fu team" even jogs like pussies!

I let the bashing go, everyone gets bashed. Anyone that thinks a good WCer fights like that should be in for a rude awakeing.

My Sihing would kill me if I fought like that.
(course I do jog like a that ;) no one cares how I jog)

t_niehoff
12-05-2002, 05:55 AM
"Bortacus" wrote:

I am a novice to wing chun and all martial arts period. So I don't know if this topic has been covered on here yet, or whatever, but I have noticed a lot of bashing of traditional martial arts, WC in particular.
---------------------

IMHO this is the case, in large part, because of extraordinary claims by many in the WCK community backed up with little or no real expressions of fighting skills (so naturally those outside WCK seeing this tend to think we're all similarly misguided). Let's face it, if someone had some sort of "superior art" *that they were trying to market* (and I'm not suggesting that everyone in WCK is trying to market their art), they'd challenge Rickson, toss him around, and then sit back and collect loads of dough. ;) Those actually fighting realize it has much more to do with personal skills and not with lineages or secrets or knowledge (even Rickson says that a blue belt has the same techniques that he does, but he's better at using them). Those who can't fight (other than via the internet or ads), on the other hand, seek to "prove" their "superior art" with demonstrations or buzzwords (which only reinforce the non-WCK worlds view that we're all talk and no show).

Terence

quiet man
12-05-2002, 07:56 AM
Truth be told, I couldn't care less about WC bashing. My sifu, who is like all CMA masters full of wise sayings :D , often states: "WC is like a beautiful girl - everybody desires her." So, if you're this pretty girl, you're bound to receive your share of gossip, insults, bashing etc. Just ignore it - 'tis but a sign of weakness, or jealousy, or ignorance. Or maybe all three.

If I claim to be a WC expert (but in fact I'm lousy at it), and then fight and lose, whose fault is it, mine or Wing Chun's? What are we talking about here? (I have just now seen that incriminated video and, well, that guy was pathetic. He knows NOTHING about WC, and he isn't even aware of that. If you ask me, it was a good laugh)

I was once very eager. People would come to me and say: "Yeah, WC's bad, it's rubbish" etc., and I'd reply: "No, no, WC is great, can't you see that?", and then I'd try to explain to them. Now, when somebody says to me "WC is no good" (and somebody always does), I calmly reply: "WC is the WORST!" The looks on their faces...

I love WC dearly, but I never respond to verbal abuse, it just cannot touch me. If, however, somebody tries to talk with his fists, I know I can hold my own, and that's all that matters to me.

Don't let the words get to you. Sticks and stones, remember? If you know the truth, just smile.

TjD
12-05-2002, 04:34 PM
i say let them thing wing chun sucks

then they'll have more than a few surprises coming...

at least from those of us who dont suck :D