PDA

View Full Version : Waterboxing , 6 harmonies & 8 Methods

cha kuen
12-04-2002, 10:48 PM
Anyone train this style? I've seen Mike Pattersons' tape on it and stuff. I may start training in this style in Janurary. What does the training consist of?

Do they have a push hands excercise in their training?

**Tai Chi and Hsing Yi Books** (http://cgi6.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewSellersOtherItems&userid=taichimaster06&include=0&since=-1&sort=3&rows=25)

Jim Roselando
12-05-2002, 04:41 AM
Hello,

A long time ago I briefly sampled this art. Liu Ho Ba Fa (or Luk Hop) is some kind of eclectic blend of Tai Chi, Hsing I an Ba Gwa I guess. The form was done similar to Taiji, and was quite long, with a lot of spiral action going on. If my memory is correct they do have push hands. The art was not for me but is was quite interesting. Wish I could help more but thats all I can remember.

Greetz,

Hau Tien
12-05-2002, 09:05 AM
I study LHBF under Sifu Mike Purnell in Red Deer, Alberta.

It was taught to him by his 7* PM teacher.

We do have push hands, as well as a "long form". A "good speed" set of the long form can take upwards of 20 minutes to perform.

One site you can check out is www.liuhopafa.com. This site is from LHBF's current lineage holder, Master Choi. One of his students, swmgdrgn, is on this forum and would be a good one to ask about style specifics.

You can also e-mail me, if you like, and I'll do my best to answer any questions the site doesn't answer for you.

Ao Qin
12-10-2002, 05:04 PM
Hi Cha Kuen,

I have been learning this style from Sifu Steve Salek in Minneapolis. It is truly a magnificent art! I have (briefly) studied Tai Chi, but Liu Ho Ba Fa to me is an incredibly dynamic and diverse system in comparrison - I have been working it for about a year now, but know no more than the first half of the main form - it is very long, and very complex. Certainly not for a beginner!

The silk reeling is unreal - as is the cum-nah / application of the technique. Most of all I enjoy the constant rising and sinking of energy - the turning, twisting, and spiriling movement. The angles and directional changes are quite complex...

There hasn't been much on this forum regarding this art, to my disappointment - I'm glad to see the Art spreading in Canada!

Cheers!

cha kuen
12-21-2002, 02:51 PM
Thanks for the information! These webpages are great!

waterboxing books (http://cgi6.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewSellersOtherItems&userid=taichimaster06&include=0&since=-1&sort=3&rows=25)

swmngdragn
12-21-2002, 10:33 PM
I'd be happy to help you answer any questions you might have.

swmngdragn
12-24-2002, 08:28 AM
In the beginning there is San Pan Shere Shi/Upper, Middle, Lower trainings/ Twelve Animals. These are twelve exercises/short forms that train the body in the proper mechanics, and ready the body for the long form, Six Harmonies/Eight Methods Fist. Then there are a few more hand forms that supplement the long form by concentrating on individual characteristics. Such as chin na/ gom na techniques, etc. There are also several standing exercises, as well as, "push hands". "Push hands" in Liu Ho Pa Fa is not quite the same thing as in Taiji. It's more relaxed, and much more aggressive in its intent. This art, when done properly, is all about battle. The way you train determines if it's just "for show", or not. I hope this helps.