PDA

View Full Version : sleep eating??

neptunesfall
12-05-2002, 03:39 AM
this constantly happens to me -
i'll wake up (sort of) and stumble around the kitchen cramming food in my face. i mostly go after the high sugar foods (cakes cookies) and milk. then i wake up with the worst sour mouth and stomach ever.
does this type of thing happen to anyone else?
could it be from not eating enough during the day?
i'm off to do some research on this...i'll post anything interesting i find.

neptunesfall
12-05-2002, 03:47 AM
from http://www.talkaboutsleep.com/disorders/parasomnias/sleep_eating.htm :

"Night eating may arise because of an ulcer, by dieting during the day, by undue stress or by a routine expectation (conditioned behavior). Hypoglycemia, or low blood sugar, has also been proposed as possible cause of nighttime bingeing in some people. This can be determined by a glucose tolerance test"

since i'm going for the sugary foods, this is my guess.

neptunesfall
12-05-2002, 03:52 AM
i also found this...WTF? LMAO

International Sleep Eating Federation
http://www.theisef.org/

PREPARATION AND EQUIPMENT:

1. Each competitor is to be put to sleep under the supervision of an ISEF (International Sleep Eating Federation) certified and licensed technician. The application of the correct amount of nitrous oxide and chloroform shall be administered in accordance with the ISEF'S prescribed proportions. The preceding mix can only be administered orally and without any resistance from or discomfort to the participant. Each competitor shall have passed an ISEF administered physical exam within at least twenty-four hours prior to competition. A urine sample shall be required for the specific purpose of determining if the participant has ingested any substances that have been disallowed by the ISEF (re: ISEF Technical Manual for list of banned substances).

2. All food preparation and acceptance is to be approved by an on sight and licensed ISEF food technician. The food is to be placed on ''platters'' in the designated kitchen area (re: ISEF Technical Manual for dimensions and weight). Each platter is to be transported by or under the supervision of the food technician to the ISEF weigh station, where it is to be weighed. After the net weight has been determined and certified, the platter is then taken to and placed on the ''short stack'' located in the designated competition area (re: ISEF Technical Manual for design and dimensions). Each short stack will have an ISEF approved kilo-counter which enables it to transmit to the match computer and match kilo-counters' displays, within the nearest one-hundreth of a Kilo, the amount of food as it is consumed by each participant (re: ISEF Technical Manual for design and program specifications).

3. Each participant will have an ISEF approved sleep sensor affixed to the temple area of his head (re: ISEF Technical Manual for approved manufacturers of brain wave detection and monitoring devices) by an ISEF approved nurse or technician. The sensor shall be electronically connected to the ISEF sleep monitor station.

4. Each competitor shall compete from the surface of a single or twin bed; both competitors per match must compete from the identical size bed. The beds can be covered or not covered at the sole discretion of the Match Master. Under no circumstances can the participants be allowed to strap or harness themselves in an upright position or lie on their backs while competing; as involuntary regurgitation could cause suffocation, injury or death.

5. Each competition shall have: a match clock that displays the elapsed time from the beginning of the event; two kilo-counters, one for each participant, and two thirty second clocks to be used after at least fifteen minutes have passed and one or both competitors have failed to have any contact with food. Only the match referee can signal for the countdown of the thirty second clock.

COMPETITION PROCEDURE:

1. All equipment, food and personnel are approved, prepared and in place. The competitors are on their beds - ready; the technicians are standing by; the first platters have been weighed-in and the counters and clocks have been cleared. The sensors are attached; the monitor station signals it's online; the participants are put under and the platters are placed on the short stacks.

2. The match referee, positioned at the monitoring station, signals when both athletes are asleep. He gives the ''go'' sign; the participants have fifteen minutes to begin to eat. The clock is started. The match does not begin until the first article of food is eaten by at least one competitor. Each competitor has fifteen minutes from the start of the referee's 'go' sign to begin to eat. If one does not eat during the initial period, then he is disqualified - he loses. If neither competitor eats during the initial period both are disqualified - they are removed from the competition - it is declared a ''no match".

3. The ''non-contact rule'' takes effect when one or both competitors, after the match has begun and at least one has been eating, has failed to grope or eat an article of food for at least two minutes. When this occurs the referee signals for the thirty second clock to start. The participant has thirty seconds to eat an article of food - if he does not; he is out. He cannot compete anymore in that match. If his Kilo count remains greater than that of his competitor's after he finishes, then he can still win.

4. Eliminations: a participant is eliminated if he wakes up during competition; if he becomes injured and cannot continue and by the non-contact rule (failure to beat the thirty second clock). Elimination does not mean that the participant has lost the match, only that he cannot continue to compete and increase his Kilo count - at elimination the kilo count stops; it is final.

5. Winning and losing: a competitor loses by either being disqualified (failure to begin eating for the first fifteen minutes of the match) or by having consumed less kilos than his competition by the end of the match; It's a one-on one, single elimination competition advancing the one competitor who eats the most kilograms of food.

Qi dup
12-05-2002, 09:41 AM
Hmmm, can't say that has ever happened to me... The only thing close to that that I have experianced is if i drink tons of water durring the day I usually find myself wondering to the bathroom a few times a night.

One good thing about this is that your awake when it happens. I remember seeing something on Dateline about people who eat food when there sleep walking. Pretty crazy stuff. It might be the blood suger thing, i'm not sure.

you could probably use this to your benifit. A lot of your body's muscle growth happens when you are sleeping. So you could always have a high protien snack and then go back to bed. This should help fuel your muscles recovery! Just an idea.

neptunesfall
12-05-2002, 03:22 PM
sounds like a good idea, about the protein snack.
i'm only sort of awake when i get up and eat.
i saw the dateline special on it too. it was sick what these people were eating.

GunnedDownAtrocity
12-06-2002, 04:59 AM
are you tubby? if you are tubby maybe you are just feeding your big belly.

neptunesfall
12-06-2002, 06:47 PM
LOL
nope. 5'7", 150lbs.

IronFist
12-06-2002, 07:41 PM
Dude, I've never heard of that before.

It's pretty f'ed up that they have sleep eating competitions.

IronFist

GunnedDownAtrocity
12-07-2002, 03:01 PM
ha . .. you're a little dude like me. cept you got 2 inches and 10lbs on me (well a little more right now but ill be gaining the weight back soon).

i bet its just because if we stop eating we'll dissapear and you subconsiously do not want to disapear.

neptunesfall
12-07-2002, 03:50 PM
i think it might be from not eating enough too. i only manage to eat about half of what i burn off in a day.