PDA

View Full Version : The Shaolin five animals: Does each style has its own unique way of doing them?

curious
07-24-2000, 02:50 AM
The shoalin five animals is a part of many styles, such as Southern Shaolin, Hung Gar, Choy Li fut, and White Eyebrow. Does each style have its own unique way of doing them? Or do they all basically do them the same way?

CLFNole
07-25-2000, 10:35 PM
I believe since each style is different the form would as a result be different. I know within my own style, Choy Lay Fut other schools have a different version of Ng Ying Kuen (5-animal hand form). Many styles have forms that share the same name but are typically different and have characteristics of their respective style. Our Choy Lay Fut drunken form is called Joi Baat Sin Kuen (8 Drunken Immortals) and I believe that Hung Gar and Hung Fut also have a drunken form with the same name but different techniques.

Peace.

curious
07-26-2000, 05:50 AM
Is this 8 Drunken immortals form derived from the Eight Drunken Immortals style?

CLFNole
07-26-2000, 08:20 PM
To Curious:

I am not sure if it was developed from the eight immortals style. Most likely Choy Lay Fut's eight drunken immortals hand form has some foundation from Hung Gar since many of the early Choy Lay Fut masters had Hung Gar backgrounds.