PDA

View Full Version : sponsering a mma fighter

Drunk mantis
12-06-2002, 09:06 AM
I am a seven star mantis praticioner and I have aspirations in fighting in mma. The only problem is I need some sponsers to help get me started. I want to fight mma because i tired of every one thinking that kung fu is not an efective fighting style and i think I have the abilty to prove this. So if anyone out there has any tips on sponsership please reply. Thanks

Stacey
12-06-2002, 01:45 PM
so you want me to pay for you to go tarnish the name of Mantis?

Who trains you? Who is your professional trainer? Who have you faught? What local tournaments have you won in? Are you part of an organization that regognises you as capable of representing them? Who is your Sifu?

BeiTangLang
12-07-2002, 10:06 PM
I'm keeping this one day more,..then deleting it. This is not theplace for such advertising. If you cannot get sponsored localy, then you may wish to reconsider.
Best wishes in your endeavor,....
BTL

buddhapalm
12-08-2002, 09:44 AM
Dear friends,

I am not trying to take sides, but these are important issues which should be considered...in my opinion.

I believe Drunk Mantis asks a valid question. He simply wants tips on how to approach sponsorship of the MMA scene. It does not sound like he is asking anyone for financial aid directly.

I believe many people here wonder how they could enter into a MMA competition, or at least go into the runnings for one. These events are probably very political and one would need a mentor for this path, and asking for tips is one way to perhaps find one, or get closer to finding one.

Some people disdain competition, some thrive on it. To each his own. But for those who like to compete, I see no easy path or clear channel to get into it...at least in Kung Fu.

Perhaps I have not been looking in the right places, but it seems to me that in order for one to compete in MMA events, one would have to enter tournaments of other styles (eg Tae Kwon Do, Wrestling, Chinese Kick Boxing) first then get into MMA events. This would mean that one would have to learn other styles to even compete in those other tournaments first.

Please correct me if I am wrong, but I see no major Kung Fu delegation represented in MMA events. Perhaps it is because of politics or something else, but I believe it would be the best thing for the image of Kung Fu if a Kung Fu player were to succeed at MMA events.

It was the image created by Bruce Lee and all the Kung Fu movies in the 70's that pumped so many people up into learning Kung Fu in the near past. All marketable things need some kind of image...even teaching Tai Chi in the park to older people needs some kind of image.

Now it all depends what kind of image we as Kung Fu players wish to exude. Some may wish to exude non-competitive aspects and some may wish to exude more combatative aspects or some may wish to combine in any combination. But I think it would be good if there were some kind of representation in MMA. There is representation in forms competitions, San Da competitions, Wu Shu competitions, push hands competitions but nothing in MMA competitions. Thousands of Chinese martial artist competed in Nanjing 1928...I dont see what 74 years could do to make the art less competitive.

Now my question is, does one need a sponsor to enter MMA events, or can one do it alone ? If a sponsor is just for paying the cost of living during training, I think it is not necessary. Probably one would have to show great potential to someone FIRST before they wanted you to be their poster boy. But I would love to learn more about it from anyone who knows about it. These are just my limited opinions and any valuable insight is most welcome.

Cheers

Buddhapalm

BeiTangLang
12-08-2002, 09:05 PM
You are correct,..I missread.

Laughing Cow
12-08-2002, 09:11 PM
My suggestion would be to hook up with a school that trains people for MMA fights.

Those should have the contacts you need.

But with everything I would assume that you would need to work your way up towards the big tournaments, i.e. start on a local or state level and if you are good enough you will be invited to the bigger ones.

Doubt that the big tournaments will just let anybody walk in and let them fight.

So I would reckon a few years before you can enter one of the big ones.

Just my 0.2 cents worth.

buddhapalm
12-08-2002, 10:54 PM
BeiTangLang,

Thats a great signature:

<"In the name of peace, destroy your enemies!"-Unknown>

I guess it "may" have come from Genghis Khan, his philosophy was to unite the world into one great tribe, therefore instilling peace. The cost was his enemies heads.

If it was someone else I would love to know who.

Sorry to be off-track, but I love this stuff. Genghis is my hero ;-)

Cheers

Buddhapalm

Joe Mantis
12-15-2002, 09:42 AM
Great Question.

We need sponsorship so we can represent at these MMA contests.
Going to a gym that teaches MMA is only going to teach you how to "kickbox" and play the ground game.
We need some Mantis or at least CMA representation.

PaulLin
12-16-2002, 12:25 PM
Originally posted by Joe Mantis
Great Question.

We need sponsorship so we can represent at these MMA contests.
Going to a gym that teaches MMA is only going to teach you how to "kickbox" and play the ground game.
We need some Mantis or at least CMA representation.

I totally agree with this. Sounds like there are no CMA in MMA because they molded people into kickboxing/ground-fights before they qualify people to be in MMA.

Then again, CMA representation need audiencese and publicity to support, then it is the image issue that needed to help publicity mentioned previously.

Stacey
12-16-2002, 08:42 PM
call up every mantis org.

Ask them for support. Tell them you'll fight anyone and if you can beat all their guys then you will take a month of classes from them and fight under their school name. Like Gary Coolige did. Then you can win. Of course, if they keep beating you up, you know your in the wrong place.

Go to Jon Funk, he's rich and would like a fighting rep.

Shooter
02-21-2003, 12:45 PM
Paul Lin worte:

Sounds like there are no CMA in MMA because they molded people into kickboxing/ground-fights before they qualify people to be in MMA.

That's bull$hit, Paul...and you know it.

There are CMA players who've stepped up. The only problem is that all these other CMAs players who won't step up refuse to recognize the efforts of the guys who have. What?...the CMAs guys who've done the MMA thing aren't really doing CMA because they don't move in the right circles?...those of the non-fighting tools? Yeah right... get in the ring then, Paul. Show us wannabes how it's really done. :p

Merryprankster
02-21-2003, 01:13 PM
Folks, all you have to do to get on most cards is be willing to step in the ring, sign the waivers and maybe get some bloodwork done. You don't need a sponsor. You just need your body and some travel money.

You wanna fight, and you're in philly--there are fights for you.

Here are some links:

http://www.realityfighting.tv/contacts.html

http://www.grapplersquest.com/

On the grapplersquest site you won't find a link to a sportfighting event, but if you contact the grapplersquest promoter he should be able to hook you up. Both the above guys put fights on in NJ. Kipp at Reality Fighting puts fights on in MA as well.

http://www.excalevents.com/fight/

This event is in Richmond, VA. Not that far from Philly.

There was another event called Fire and Ice in VA Beach, but I think it's defunct.

Anyway, that should get you started. Enjoy.

PaulLin
02-24-2003, 03:43 PM
Originally posted by Shooter
Paul Lin worte:

That's bull$hit, Paul...and you know it.

There are CMA players who've stepped up. The only problem is that all these other CMAs players who won't step up refuse to recognize the efforts of the guys who have. What?...the CMAs guys who've done the MMA thing aren't really doing CMA because they don't move in the right circles?...those of the non-fighting tools? Yeah right... get in the ring then, Paul. Show us wannabes how it's really done. :p

Your attitude I have acturally agree to. I have just find out how many so called themselves CMA has almost nothing at all. All they know is post like master, read the books and articles and try to ammuse other base on what they read. They really put a "big mouth and no contant" immage just like what you have expect.

Put them up or shut up, I will for that. The only way to clean out all these junks is to put the real hands up and forget about what the lips can do to the GENER PUBLIC. If you don't care to show that to the general public, why bother?

The part is that, if some one find the just to fight to prof a point of truth, that is fine. But if they only care about the few who would understand which way is the way up rather than put you on to the next stair, they wouldn't bother. If you personally don't like that, come here yourself and I will make you shut up.

No wondered there are more bulley in MMA, since they don't reject to teach the bulley will be in the first place.

Stacey
02-25-2003, 09:05 AM
Paul will never fight,

To his credit he does research with a circle of fit men offering each other vigorous, mental stimulation until one the them shoots off a into the collective cavity of self discovery. Afterwhich they fellicitate each other in low tones. I think anyone can come to this group, they meet at odd hours in the park.

Shooter
02-25-2003, 11:01 AM
Hey, Paul.

You invited me to cross hands with you so you can shut me up. Excellent. :D

You also seem to be implying that I'm not straight up CMA and that I just front. I guess that means my teachers, or their teachers weren't straight up CMA either. Fair enough I suppose.

Anyway, I was just wondering if we'll be seeing you compete in MMA anytime soon?...so you can show all us posers how it's done. You see, if all you do is talk about how everyone else who competes has no real kung fu, and you won't step up to set some kind of standard, you're at least as full of $hit as you deem those other brothers to be...if not moreso.

If you ever do compete, I'd be very surprised if your fighting method doesn't reflect the rules and conventions of the game.

Best of luck to you...

Bruce

PaulLin
02-26-2003, 06:42 PM
Originally posted by Shooter
Hey, Paul.

You invited me to cross hands with you so you can shut me up. Excellent. :D

You also seem to be implying that I'm not straight up CMA and that I just front. I guess that means my teachers, or their teachers weren't straight up CMA either. Fair enough I suppose.

Anyway, I was just wondering if we'll be seeing you compete in MMA anytime soon?...so you can show all us posers how it's done. You see, if all you do is talk about how everyone else who competes has no real kung fu, and you won't step up to set some kind of standard, you're at least as full of $hit as you deem those other brothers to be...if not moreso.

If you ever do compete, I'd be very surprised if your fighting method doesn't reflect the rules and conventions of the game.

Best of luck to you...

Bruce

Pretty funny, I would never speake of the people who I don't know. I don't know you Shooter. If you are so touchy thinking I am addressing it to you, I now assure you, not my case. I am telling you that I have see (so far most of them) out there since I have first appeared here are not genuine CMA. And for that I do felt the same way you expressed towards others. Of course, if you want to find out what I am talking about by thouching hands, you are more than welcome.

Other wise, I don't wast my life to prof any point to the people only see the wrong things and ignore or disregards the correct ones. It is not my responsibility to show them what I have. It is if they ever interested to seek beyound what they knew(if they belief there are any).

In case if you or Stacy are in any kind of competetion, let me know. I will try to get there just for you 2. Other wise, fighting with the most other who-don't-even-know-what-they-are-living-for people who only liked to excite-themselves-with fights-in-order-not-to-think-of-the-fears-to-face-their-empty-and-meaningless-life is not worthy for me. Why do I have to risk to lose my job and future for a community that I don't see worthy of join? Just to prof it to the blind people who would never understand any ways?

Think I talk too high? Just try to state your meaning of your own life other than numb yourself with excitments.

B.Tunks
02-26-2003, 08:21 PM
Some people like to fight, some dont.
personally I would love to see it done (I mean the mma thing, though there's better avenues in my opinion), but I wouldnt lose any sleep if it wasn't.
One thing I do know, our forefathers loved to brawl, thats for sure...

Sorry to butt in, carry on gentlemen.

Shooter
02-26-2003, 11:30 PM
Hey, Paul. I don't mean you any disrespect, but it's real hard to follow what you're saying sometimes. Your comments seemed to be directed to me personally since my post was quoted and you seemed to be replying to me.

Anyway, It's no big deal. MMA is just one extension of the way I train many of the basics in Tai Chi. That's all it is to me...

Bruce