PDA

View Full Version : I apologize to Dave Williams, John Weiland, and KJ

Grendel
12-06-2002, 03:58 PM
I apologize to David Williams, John Weiland, and KJ for saying anything that anyone might have misconstrued or find offensive or verbally parsimonious. :p

And I encourage everyone on the forum to buck up. :D

yuanfen
12-06-2002, 05:26 PM
I apologize to the forum for or to as the case may be:

1. Trolling Hands inability to contribute anything constructive
and for his arrogance.

2. For his fellow troll's inability to use a dictionary and scatological obsessions with a gibbon. May Lord Hanuman forgive for transgressions against a distant sidai..

3. to B. Glenn for the lack of substantive wc discussion lately..
if you would like to start a substantive thread- I will try to contribute. I promise. Better to light a candle than curse the darkness.

4. to William of Ockham for all inelegant and non- parsimonious explanations and understanding of time and space.

5. to the first Chan patriarch for many sundry errors of commission and omission.

Kathryn
12-06-2002, 05:50 PM
Yawn...The Chosen One speaks.

Yet again, Yuanfen has something to offer someone when they ask for nothing. What a gift. What a glorious educator he is.

According to "Chinese Characters: Their Origin, Etymology, History, Classification and Signification" copyright 1965, by Dr L. Wieger, S.J., below are listed some possible translations of the term "Yuan Fen" (the number after the word indicates its tonal pronounciation):

Yuan1 - To wrong, To have a grudge, to injure
Yuan2 - The Gibbon (the long-armed ape of India)
Yuan2 - The first cause, Origin
Yuan2 - To quote, to pull out
Yuan2 - The Great Sea Turtle
Yuan2 - The Wild Sheep
Yuan2 - The Porcupine
Yuan2 - To Cause
Yuan2 - Round, Circular
Yuan4 - Ill treatment, to have a grudge

Fen1 - To divide
Fen1 - Disorder, Confusion
Fen2 - To burn, to Consume
Fen4 - Anger, Hatred, Spite
Fen4 - To Puff Out
Fen4 - Ordure (Dung, Excrement), Filth
Now, taking the above terms, let's have a little fun speculating on what "Yuan Fen" could actually mean:

Y2 F1 - To cause disorder and confusion
Y1 F1 - To wrong and divide
Y1 F2 - To have a grudge that consumes
Y2 F4 - To quote dung
Y2 F4 - The Spiteful Gibbon
Y2 F1 - The first cause of Disorder and Confusion
Y2 F4 - The Origin of Anger and Spite
Y2 F4 - The Great Sea Turtle, Porcupine, Wild Sheep or Gibbon Puffs Out
Y2 F4 - Round Filth

And my own personal favorite for the accurate description of this yuanfen...

Y2 F4 - Gibbon Excrement (Ape Sh**)

Choose your karma, Joy of Pomposity.:o

planetwc
12-06-2002, 06:32 PM
For not taking the time to explain to her that Joy Chaudhuri's login here namely yuanfen

is one word: Yuanfen

not two words: Yuan Fen

Ôµ·Ý [yuan2 fen4] /fate (which brings people together/

To wit:

http://www.chinadaily.com.cn/star/2002/0703/vo2-2.html
Fate follows many roads:
People love to debate the concept of coincidence or, as Chinese people say, yuanfen - the circumstances which bring people together.

http://btobsearch.barnesandnoble.com/booksearch/isbninquiry.asp?btob=Y&isbn=0393046648&displayonly=chapter

I listened to the thrum of the lines between us. Far away, I could hear the faint thread of the violin. Had I said something wrong? I took a breath and waited for sharp words. But she said simply, "It is yuanfen." For as long as I remembered, she used this expression only when discussing marriage, but she never would explain.

"What do you mean by yuanfen?"

She thought for a minute and replied, "It means: that apportionment of love which is destined for you in this world."

Or

http://www.aasianst.org/absts/1998abst/china/c77.htm

Gendered Fate
Deirdre Sabina Knight, University of Wisconsin, Madison

The deployment of fate (ming) in twentieth-century Chinese fiction raises an important question: What (and whose) interests are served by appeals to destiny? In particular, does the notion of ming mystify the gender-based oppression of social practices and institutions and encourage belief in their inevitability? Looking at how notions of fate script narratives of desire, courtship, sexuality, marriage and mothering, I will ask how ming shapes the construction and, more important, the constriction of female subjectivity and agency in twentieth-century Chinese fiction.

In this paper, I analyze the gender asymmetry of appeals to ming in three fictional works, a late-Qing novel, a May Fourth story and a contemporary novella, to show how this notion is invoked to justify particular practices, explain away the causes of human discontent and set the limits of social change. In what ways do the frames of reference, norms, values, ideals and emotional patterns that the discourse of fate reproduces for women differ from those it allows for men? How does the notion of ming work to make love, marriage and mothering imperatives of fate rather than chosen commitments? Are women more likely to resign themselves to fate? Specifically, in the realm of romance, what are the effects of ming and yuanfen (the lot that brings people together) on narratives of seduction and desire? What are love, seduction and desire if not freely chosen? Or is freely chosen love just a Western ideal?

========================================
That said one would hope that Kathryn can take the following to heart:

"The selfless universe will tell you that if you have the yuanfen you'll be illuminated by the Buddha Light. Remember, the cosmic light is a magic cure."

Hey perhaps this could apply to her male incarnation, one Rolling Hand! Hmm, should I apologize for that as well? :D

John Weiland
12-06-2002, 06:41 PM
I would like to apologize to the bereaved of the next S.O.B. who offends my delicate sensibilities. :D

Cheers,

reneritchie
12-06-2002, 07:36 PM
I would like to apologize to Wing Chun Kuen, for all the cowardly, annonymous trolls who barely, if at all, train in her glory, yet pop up at the slightest chance to insult those who do; who are not truly of the family yet spread harm and ill-will within the family; who are frustrated yet seek to frustrate others instead of healing themselves; who can stalk and troll her practitioners to know end, but cannot, ye do not, have any insight or anything to share on her.

For all this, and much more, and most of all myself who, in my love for her, often contribute as much to her displeasure as to her joy, I apologize.

RR

wingchunalex
12-06-2002, 09:22 PM
this thread started out as something good? why did it have to go in the direction the person who posted the tread never intended? its a pitty.

Grendel
12-06-2002, 09:29 PM
Originally posted by wingchunalex
this thread started out as something good? why did it have to go in the direction the person who posted the tread never intended? its a pitty.

I apologize for starting this thread. Earth humor just doesn't seem to be well regarded here in Cyberspace. :rolleyes:

Regards,

rogue
12-06-2002, 10:24 PM
I apologize to Rene Ritchie for always reading his book at Barnes and Noble but never buying it. :(

Grendel
12-07-2002, 12:37 AM
Originally posted by rogue
I apologize to Rene Ritchie for always reading his book at Barnes and Noble but never buying it. :(

Hi Rogue,

That's the spirit! :p

Oops, sorry Rene. :eek:

Regards,

kungfu cowboy
12-07-2002, 03:55 AM
I apologize to marcel marceau for my inability to interpret his art. I'm not a mime reader.

reneritchie
12-07-2002, 05:32 AM
I apologize to Rene Ritchie for always reading his book at Barnes and Noble but never buying it.

I apologize for leaving all the super secret original traditional authentic techniques out of the Barnes & Nobles version, forever condemning Rogue to be without the levitating Siu Lien Tao, and the Uber-Warp Sao!

And I apologize to wingchunalex for all the parody.

RR

yuanfen
12-07-2002, 07:01 AM
Planet WC quotes:
That said one would hope that Kathryn can take the following to heart:

"The selfless universe will tell you that if you have the yuanfen you'll be illuminated by the Buddha Light. Remember, the cosmic light is a magic cure."
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hope is an important phenomenon.
yuanfen

----------------------------------------------------------------
I apologize to Rene for Barnes and Noble allowing kungfu cowboy
to read his book at the stack.
ole injun say-watch out for cowboy who reads books.
yuanfen
------------------------------------------------------------------
wingchunalex- none of this mars your apology IMHO.
If you think it does I genuinely apologize to you.
yuanfen