PDA

View Full Version : favorite chi sau attack?

wingchunalex
12-06-2002, 09:40 PM
i was woundering what peoples favorite chi sau attack was. and if anyone wants to add what is the hardest chi sau attack for them to do?

my favorite is lop to the outside with a low palm strike, then a high palm strike.

hardest for me is attacks starting with a step out to the side because my opponent tends to mirror my step out so its nulified, i just need more practice. :D

Grendel
12-06-2002, 10:45 PM
Hi Wingchunalex,

My favorite is the one that works. :p

The hardest for me to do is to go straight up the center against my si hing and si jei.

To my own disappointment, I may find myself trying to force an opening, instead of merely sensing it. I often have to step to the outside myself. While it's possible for my partner to mirror this stepping move, it can create an opening for me if my partner doesn't sense where I'm going and will merely pivot.

Nice thread subject choice. :cool:

I forgive you now. :p

Regards,

aelward
12-07-2002, 12:06 AM
Since chi sao happens from so many different positions, I'm not sure which one would be my favorite; but here's one opening I like a lot:

With a small "bracing" step left forward with my left foot, I press my opponent's left fook sao with my right bong sao and press downward on his right tan sao with a left jum sao. This tends to cause some of the following responses:

1. If he pushes straight back, I will brace right and change my left jum sao to a pak sao to his left hand while dropping my right elbow and drilling forward into a side palm strike.

2. If he pushes back to my left, I turn my right bong sao into a gang sao to cover his right tan, and my left hand into a tan sao to meet his left hand, then either lap sao or go straight in with po-pai butterfly palms.

3. If his high fook sao collapses straight back, then I will turn the bong sao into a lan sao and push forward while punching with the left hand. If he freezes up on this motion, then the left punch will turn into a na sao (harvesting hand, in second section of SNT) to capture his high fook sao and change my lan sao into a sat sao.

4a. If his left high fook sao collapses to his own right, then my left jum sao becomes a lap sao on his left hand, while my right bong turns to a sat sao or straight punch.

4b. OR, if his left fook collapses to his own right, depending on circumstances, my mood, or the position of the moon, I may change the left jum sao into a lap sao and the bong sao into a CK elbow hack while pivoting to my left.

5. If he sinks my bong sao, then I change it into a gum sao to pin his right tan sao; my jum sao will go to guard, and either punch or clip depending on the position of his left hand on my gum sao

Wow, that was long winded. Now, the hardest thing for me is changing techniques if po pai butterfly palms fail to hit.

Rob Wolf
12-07-2002, 12:31 AM
Stepping in straight punch.
Rob www.sillumwingchun.com

S.Teebas
12-07-2002, 01:30 AM
i was woundering what peoples favorite chi sau attack was

Mine is the one I didn't plan.

jesper
12-07-2002, 05:44 AM
If you start to develop a favorite attack, you must quickly and decisevely exterminate that technic from your mind.

Developing a favorite technic leads to overemphasizing it in favor of other and in certain situation more proper technics. That in turn leads to predictability which eventually will lead to defeat if you will ever need your WT in a real fight.

yuanfen
12-07-2002, 08:27 AM
jesper imo is correct.

Spectre
12-07-2002, 09:41 AM
I am not for exterminating the favourite technique, but breaking it down and analyzing what worked and why it worked. After this is discovered, look to your other chi sao 'attacks' and analyze why it didn't work. Sometimes we may not be sensing an opponents weakness correctly.

And I like to look at it purely as a response to an opponent's weakness as opposed to an 'attack'. Spring energy or 'intent' should automatically find the opening.

Just my opinion.

Kevin

yenhoi
12-07-2002, 02:39 PM
strike!

Grendel
12-07-2002, 04:01 PM
Originally posted by yuanfen
jesper imo is correct.
Yuanfen is correct. :D

sticky fingers
12-07-2002, 11:13 PM
yes, I think my favourite technique is one of my many weaknesses, especially with ppl who are familiar with my chisau and have learned to counter. I am right handed, so tend to deflect,lop etc with my left and strike with my right. It's a habit I am trying hard to break. I want to be able to use both hands equally- less predictacle

aelward
12-08-2002, 05:00 PM
Jesper writes:
> Developing a favorite technic leads to overemphasizing it in
> favor of other and in certain situation more proper technics.

I don't think that "favorite" implies that you even use said technique, just that you like it-- perhaps it looks cool, or it is effective, or it is something that works well with your body type. But obviously, you use what a given situation dictates, and not what you WANT to use for whatever reason.