PDA

View Full Version : Mantis step? Purpose?

bluebar
07-26-2000, 11:12 AM
I'm posting this here and at the Northern Board since I know some don't visit the others too much. Last evening, I was at a Praying Mantis school for the first time. At the beginning of the class, they all did a step I've never seen before and was wondering what it was and its purpose. I didn't get a chance to speak with anyone after class to ask.

As they walked - a normal walking step, but about a 1/2 to 3/4 step, they lightly slapped into the rear of their own ankle with the instep of the other foot, i.e., left step, right instep slap; right step, left instep slap. What's the purpose of this. Some slapped harder than others.

David
07-26-2000, 02:47 PM
I don't recognise the method but I think you have to imagine there's an opponent's leg in the way.

You are studying northern mantis?

olkat314
07-26-2000, 05:39 PM
You must have gone to a Northern Praying Mantis class. We do that in class in order to strengthen the ankle, especially the tendons in the back. Basically it trains it hard so that it can be used for sweeps.

Tak

bluebar
07-26-2000, 08:27 PM
Thank you, Tak! (Yeah, it is a Northern Mantis School. I appreciate the info. I figured it had to be something like that, but I wasn't sure.)
----------------
David! No, I'm not taking it presently. I was visiting. I'm looking into the possibility of challenging myself with something different.

Prairie
07-27-2000, 12:40 AM
I've seen this, and done this, and also wondered why but didn't ask the question.

Thanks for posting the question and thanks for the answer.

I knew there was a reason I keep reading these forums =)

-Prairie

bluebar
07-27-2000, 01:29 AM
You're welcome, Prairie. I always ask since I've made a fool of myself so often in my life, I figure once more can never hurt. (Beside, I find out some really neat stuff. I mean, look at this info.)

Lost_Disciple
07-28-2000, 11:42 AM
yo bluebar, what school was it? where?
Just curious, because we had a visitor Tuesday night, mighta been u. /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif
We do this drill as well by the way.
We've got other drills to strengthen the uppercalf, this drill works the front and back of the lower calf & ankle region.
It helps a lot with sweeps, hooking sweeps, and overall leg conditioning.

bluebar
07-28-2000, 07:52 PM
Hey, Lost_Disciple. I just checked your profile and if you're in Texas, it wasn't your school I was at. I was in Brea CA. Sorry, but if I'm ever down there, you can be sure I'll stop by and check you folks out.

bluebar
07-29-2000, 02:06 AM
Hey, Lost Disciple. If you wouldn't mind, could you e-mail me at bluebar@scientist.com

I have a question I'd like to ask you that I'd prefer not to post here.
Thanks,
Bluebar