PDA

View Full Version : WHF books sets 1-16 form names?

cha kuen
12-08-2002, 10:41 AM
Does anyone have all the names for the 1-16 books? I haven't learned all the sets so I can only recognize a few of them....

Thanks

Drunk mantis
12-08-2002, 01:16 PM
1. 4 directional fighting -Say lo bun da
2. Aviod the strong- Dawn Gang + 18 ancestors- So bot sao
3. Peircing fist- Chop Choy
4. Monks Martial Breathing- Lo Hung gung
5. Whitie ape exits the cave- Bak yeun chut dune
6. White ape steals the peach- Bak yeun tow tow
7. ...... Mai fa Keun These are plum flower fist and fall not sure
8. ...... Mai fow loc
9. ......Mai Fah Sao
10. 1st essential
11. 2nd essential
12. 3rd essential
13. Jeuy Low Hon-Drunken Monk
14. Crusing step -Bung bo
15. Ling Bung Bo - 2 man bung bo
16. Flying goose palm -Fei nagh Zang

MantisifuFW
12-08-2002, 02:00 PM
I would add that the book #3 also has the Kune Po, or list of sets and movements for the sets both in the books and others not covered, (but not all the sets WHF taught) and that the #16 has eight hard, twelve soft, the twelve keywords by WHF that differs from others, and listings of palm, fist and hand techniques.

A great resource.

Steve Cottrell

mantisben
12-08-2002, 02:16 PM
Originally posted by Drunk mantis
1. 4 directional fighting -Say lo bun da
2. Aviod the strong- Dawn Gang + 18 ancestors- So bot sao
3. Peircing fist- Chop Choy
4. Monks Martial Breathing- Lo Hung gung
5. Whitie ape exits the cave- Bak yeun chut dune
6. White ape steals the peach- Bak yeun tow tow
7. ...... Mai fa Keun These are plum flower fist and fall not sure
8. ...... Mai fow loc
9. ......Mai Fah Sao
10. 1st essential
11. 2nd essential
12. 3rd essential
13. Jeuy Low Hon-Drunken Monk
14. Crusing step -Bung bo
15. Ling Bung Bo - 2 man bung bo
16. Flying goose palm -Fei nagh Zang

Book #8 is the Plum Blossum Falling
Book #9 is the Plum Blossum Hand

mantis_seeker
12-08-2002, 02:50 PM
Sifu Cottrell you mentioned,

... and that the #16 has eight hard, twelve soft, the twelve keywords by WHF that differs from others,....

I do not have this book and wonder if you can list WHF 12 keywords? How much do they differ from Chui Chi Man's 12 keywords? I noticed to that other mantis styles like plum blossom also have different keywords. Do you know if Wang Lang created an original set of keywords?

Thanks for your info and contributions to the mantis community, I look forward to getting your mantis quaterly.

mantis_seeker

MantisifuFW
12-08-2002, 05:11 PM
WHF's Twelve Keywords:

Au. Lau, Choi, Kwa
Dieu-Jen, Dieu-Da
Jim-Lim, Teh-Gao

As opposed to the more popular Au, Lau, Choi, Kwa, Dieu, Jen, Bung, Da, Jim, Lim, Teh, Gao. On the mainland one will find other groups of keywords. Lee Kam Wing has revised his keywords even beyond that of Chu Chi Man. None of these people are ill intentioned people. They are attempting to interpret the art for their students in the best fashion possible.

There is no certainty as to the original keywords, objective history, or documented development of the system. Each is the subject of much revision on everyone's part. Tanglang is, in all its forms, a formidable and proud style of Gongfu. It is to be practiced, studied, researched, discussed and celebrated.

In marketing, there is much that many have to say about the "original tanglang". It is usually an attempt by one group to exercise authority or establish some superiority over another. In China, such statements of authority and superiority are largely considered either comedy or ill informed by the Tanglang community.

Hope it helps,

Steve Cottrell

mantis_seeker
12-08-2002, 05:51 PM
Dieu-Jen, Dieu-Da
Jim-Lim, Teh-Gao

Are these keywords considered inter-related since you hyphenated them together? I have always seen Lee Kam Wing show Teh and Gao together. Are they concepts unto themselves or dependent on another?
Like Au, Lau, Choi is often practiced together? My knowledge of applying the concepts of the 12 keywords in practice is lacking I'm afraid.

Thanks
mantis_seeker

MantisifuFW
12-08-2002, 06:01 PM
Seeker,

As I first learned them, these ideas were connected together. To Dieu and go forward, Dieu-Jen. Secondly to Dieu-Da to Dieu and attack. If one checkes the WHF #16 book, newer editions, they are so connected in the explainations on page 76,77.

The keywords have many "phases" of interpretation. My sifu, Brendan Lai, taught me that they must be contemplated over time to be understood. Each can be taken separately, looking for the idea in techniques. For example looking for examples of hooking in technique instead of just to "Au" or hook with the hand. One might Au with the foot, for instance.

It is a difficult thing to understand fully. Many can quote the principles and even give a "textbook" example. The real usefulness in these ideas is their application throughout one's techniques. I am still working on that!

Steve Cottrell

mantis_seeker
12-08-2002, 06:18 PM
Sifu Cottrell,

Wow! I never made the leap to thinking of the keywords like that! Many of our techniques have hooks to the foot but it never entered my mind to consider it within the frame of the keywords. You have given me much to think about.

One thing that has always puzzled me is jim and lim. Could you elaborate on those?

Thanks
mantis_seeker

MantisifuFW
12-09-2002, 10:48 AM
Jim/Lim also called Zhan Nien means contact/ cling, respectively.
Jim is the moment of impact that does not repel the opposing limb. It contacts then Lim means to adhere or stick.

Used together they are seamless and become basically one thing in execution. One must contact an oncoming limb before one can adhere. Usually in contacting there is created a resultant angle of travel for the oncoming limb thus effecting a block but one that adheres instead of repels.

I hope this makes sense.

Steve Cottrell