PDA

View Full Version : Boston area Wing Chun?

Ford Prefect
12-09-2002, 11:09 AM
Hi all,

I'm writing this for a friend who can't get online much. He's interested in taking Wing Chun Kung Fu. I know of two places for Wing Chun in the Boston area.

Cambridge Wing Chun: I used to talk to old forum member Rev Tim (I think he left before this forum got here) who trained there. He said it was kind of unorthodox in that they didn't practice any of the forms.

Jim Roselando: I don't think this gentleman has a formal school, and he just trains a few groups privately.

My friend is a working man and would need flexability where schedule is concerned, so I don't think he'd be a good match for Jim. He has family duties most weekends, so he'd need weeknight classes. He's never studied MA before although he's always been curious, so I've taught him some basic things that I do. If anybody could point me towards any other options, I'd appreciate it.

Jim Roselando
12-09-2002, 12:11 PM
Hello,

You can tell your friend that there are a few clubs in Boston and some private instruction.

Mui's Martial Art

My sifu's school that I help him at on Tue's nights. There are also classes on Thu/Sat runned by some of my junior classmates.

Cambridge WC

This school (if it is still open as they had a fire and bouncing around from locations last I heard) belongs to one of my Sifu's public students from the late 70's.

Boston WC

A student runned training club that trains Leung Ting's WC.

There are also a few private groups that were formally student of the old Lee Moy Shan club of Cambridge.

One pupil who teaches in Newton that does YMWC with some emphacis from Leung Sheung teaching.

One pupil who trained with one of Yip Ching's students living down the south shore.

And of course my private group and a few others that are around.

Hope that helps and let me know if you need any other info.!

Regards,

Ford Prefect
12-09-2002, 12:18 PM
Hey Jim,

Wow. So there are real people on KFO. Who would have known? ;) Do you have any contact info for the places you mentioned? Thanks in advance.

kj
12-09-2002, 12:27 PM
Ford,

You might also inquire with "Martial Joe" (Joe Kavey) who is a member of this forum (I suggest to email or PM him). If I'm not mistaken, his teacher may be opening up classes in January. By way of background, I believe they are in the Tsui Sheung Tin line.

Something amongst all these leads should turn up something for your friend.

(Ford Prefect, ha ha)

Regards,
- Kathy Jo

Ford Prefect
12-09-2002, 02:15 PM
Thanks for the tip, Kathy. I'll wait and see if he posts here before I clutter the forum with another post. You'd be suprised how many people don't get the name. I thought Adams was more popular. ;)

Jim Roselando
12-10-2002, 09:24 AM
Hello,

Well, KJ has mentioned another person but that person I believe is not close at all to Boston. If your friend is willing to travel then I can name a few more from out west.

In Marlboro you can find a grandstudent of Lee Moy Shan teaching.

In Worcester you can find a student or grandstudent (memory is not good lately) of Yip Ching.

Out near Springfield you can find another Leung Ting branch school.

Further down south you can find someone who travels to train with Augustine Fong!

If you want more information please e-mail me.

Regards,

reneritchie
12-10-2002, 10:04 AM
It should be noted that Jim's sifu is one of the few in the world actually teaching the Gulao Wing Chun Kuen system to the public, and probably the only Fung lineage sifu doing so in North America.

Hard enough to find the system, harder still to find someone willing to teach it. If you're in the area, it would be a crime not to at least consider it.

RR

Ford Prefect
12-10-2002, 01:56 PM
Thanks again for the info, all.

kj
12-10-2002, 04:32 PM
Originally posted by Jim Roselando
Well, KJ has mentioned another person but that person I believe is not close at all to Boston. If your friend is willing to travel then I can name a few more from out west.

I will be the first to admit that I am geographically challenged. Anything remotely in the Massachusetts or nearby regions hints of Boston to me, LOL.

I had heard that Glenn, Mike and company are practicing again. Perhaps that is the Leung Sheung oriented group you mentioned.

Regards,
- Kathy Jo

Ford Prefect
12-11-2002, 10:18 AM
Haha! The Boston area is seperated by impassable barriers of traffic. 2 hours to go 20 miles can get frusterating.

BTW, Jim, I sent you a mail.

kj
12-11-2002, 07:36 PM
Originally posted by Ford Prefect
Haha! The Boston area is seperated by impassable barriers of traffic. 2 hours to go 20 miles can get frusterating.

And here I thought I had that problem due to be an out-of-towner, and that the locals had figured out alternate routes by now. ;)

I do know they can't handle snow storms though. I was there during a snow flurry once, and everyone there thought it was a blizzard. The whole city nearly shut itself down, LOL.

Good luck to your friend at any rate, and hope he finds what he's looking for.

Regards,
- Kathy Jo