PDA

View Full Version : Meeting in Oakland...

Zhuge Liang
12-09-2002, 11:16 AM
This past weekend, the ever-gracious John K (aelward) and his group in Oakland hosted another get-together. This was my first time seriously feeling "outside" hands since I've started with my current instructore (Ken Chung). Any way, for those interested, here are my observations of the event.

But first, the obligatory disclaimer. I was the most junior one from my school over there, so please take my inexperience into consideration. In fact, just last week, when I was doing poon sau with one of my sihengs, Ken said to my other classmates "See <name withheld>? That's what we want in poon sau. See Alan <me>? That's what we don't want." Ha ha. (I laugh on the outside, but inside I'm crying like a little baby.)

Anway, I only got a chance to roll with 4 people. Next time I hope to be able to stay longer. I rolled with one person who started not too long ago (6 months), two people with around the same time as me (1.5 to 2 years), and one person who is waay my senior (8 years or so. John's siheng from Taiwan, I believe.)

What I noticed in general was that all the people I rolled with were very soft. They did not try to muscle me so much (though I'm kinda on the big side), and they flowed pretty well. In fact, I was not use to how soft one person was (The thin blonde guy with the goatee and glasses, I forget his name), and he gave me a bit of trouble. The people I worked with also liked to move around more than I'm use to. In my school, we're use to just going straight in, constantly trying to "zero-in" on our training partner, and not so much trying to take angles. So I was a little taken by surprise when one person moved to the side. I think he could have taken me had he followed up and "sealed" me in.

John's siheng was extremely polite and a super nice guy. So nice, in fact, that we didn't really get to cross hands. We just did poon sau the whole time. A couple of times, I would try to initiate free style gor sau, but he stuck with me, and we ended back in poon sau. He was never eager to try to hit me. However, I felt that his hands were substantial and sensitive, and I don't doubt that he could've smoked me if he wanted to.

I wish I had more time, because I also wanted feedback on how we felt (well, me especially). Maybe next time I can stay longer. Or perhaps aelward can share. Was there any interesting feedback from your students?

Anyway, I had a great time, and I look forward to doing it again. Hopefully we can get more schools in the bay area to participate.

Regards,
Zhuge Liang

PS btw, Aelward, those videos that were taken, they're for personal use right? One of the camera focused on my training partner and me a couple of times, which is a couple of times more than I'd like. If it's just for personal notes, I don't mind, but I cringe at the thought of it being posted on the net where my crappiness can be seen by all. But I guess I have no one to blame but myself for my own crappiness. =P

aelward
12-09-2002, 05:06 PM
Now I know who Zhuge Liang is: A gigantic Chinese guy that will dispel any stereotypes of the puny asian man. Though you certainly had soft hands :P Anyway, nice to find out who you are, and thank you for coming! Please mail me at: aelward@hotmail.com so I can put you on my list.

As a note to everyone, DG, a student of Buddy Wu (Ho Kam Min lineage) also came to pop everyone in the head :) though unfortunately, we did not get many other people.

I have gotten some feedback from some of the participants, and what I have generally heard about Sifu Ken's students was:

1. Excellent rooting
2. Great forward pressure

Unfortunately, I didn't have much time to roll with you, but I felt your hands were soft and fluid. I think everyone was most impressed by Yvonne, who was incredibly aggressive yet soft at the same time.

We are setting the next date for sometime in mid-January, though a location has not yet been decided. I do hope more people from other schools will come!

p.s. The videos will definitely stay private (I hope so, because I found out I was taped screwing up on the wooden dummy form), though I will probably put up some still pictures at my website.

kj
12-10-2002, 05:02 AM
It's great you guys and gals are getting together to work out with some regularity. Thanks for the write-ups too; I enjoy reading them.

We do a similar thing here a few times a year. IMHO, it is very beneficial - I dare say even necessary - to get the experience of working with other and many hands.

I can sympathize with the dilemma of low turn out. Even with so many Wing Chun people in our area, it is sometimes difficult to get many to participate at any one time. I don't think it's so much a problem of interest (many if not most people express interest), but time and other obligations seem to interfere quite a lot. I'm hoping participation will improve over time as more folks feel they might be missing out on something, LOL.

We also enjoy friendly exchanges with people in other arts outside Wing Chun when we can. When I say friendly, I don't mean non-challenging. Rather, the bent is on mutual learning and improvement, and without goals of putting someone in the hospital or to see whose ego is bigger.

Anyway, good for you folks. Here's hoping more in your area will join you for future get-togethers.

Glad folks enjoyed working with Yvonne too. She is indeed spunky, LOL. And Zhuge Liang - he's not that big. :D

Regards,
- Kathy Jo

aelward
12-10-2002, 04:46 PM
kj writes:
> And Zhuge Liang - he's not that big

I would put him at 6'3", 200+ lbs; that is bigger than the average american male, and much bigger than the average asian male! Though I guess it is all relative. If you are 6', it won't seem so big :P

kj
12-10-2002, 04:58 PM
Originally posted by aelward
kj writes:
> And Zhuge Liang - he's not that big

I would put him at 6'3", 200+ lbs; that is bigger than the average american male, and much bigger than the average asian male! Though I guess it is all relative. If you are 6', it won't seem so big :P

LOL. I am not 6' so I guess you win. Of course anyone over 5'6" looks about the same to me and my craning neck. :D

Regards,
- Kathy Jo