PDA

View Full Version : wacky moments in sparing

OdderMensch
12-09-2002, 01:22 PM
So i'm sparring this guy, and he has more of a TKD base, but he's young and fast so it might work for him. all of a sudden he leaps into the air, spins and does a perfect back kick. only problem is i'm like five feet away, in my gaurd, not moveing at all.

he looks at me like :confused: and i'm all :rolleyes: so he goes :mad: but i'm :cool: and fend him off till the rounds done.

this is not to say TKD is bad, or jump kicks are useless, just randomly jumping into the air can get messy. latter he tried that on a classmate of mine, but was closer so he got intercepted, kid rotated 180 in midar and droped like a sack of yams.

good times were had by all :D

rubthebuddha
12-09-2002, 01:25 PM
odder -- it's cause you weren't feeding right. you're supposed to stick your head out there for him to smack. silly boy.

Kristoffer
12-09-2002, 01:30 PM
Speaking of jump kicks. Have anyone EVER seen ANYBODY hitting someone with a butterfly kick? Me neither. Would like to.

rubthebuddha
12-09-2002, 01:34 PM
yeah, but it was the guy who was holding the board that was supposed to be broken by the kick that got clobbered. :eek:

:(

Kristoffer
12-09-2002, 01:42 PM
:D Did he land on his feet after the hit? (the kicker that is)

red5angel
12-09-2002, 02:32 PM
I had a similar experience with a TKD blackbelt as well. Some friends and I were talking with these two TKD girls, both blackbelts who had been studying for about 5 years when my friend suggest I spar one of them. Well, I'm like, I don't think so, and this chick is like, what are you afraid to spar with a girl. I explained that I wasnt but that I didnt think TKD and wingchun mixed very well. She wanted a demonstration so I showed her this trick I learned pretty early on from a fellow WC guy who also did TKD. She goes to throw this front kick, I dont know what they call it but its a front kick that sort of snaps in a semi circle up to about waist high on the target. Anyway I stepped in and slapped her thigh down with both hands and she sort of teetered over.
Actually I think it was one of my better moments because it worked fairly well but then I also outweighed her by about 70lbs or so.....

NorthernMantis
12-09-2002, 02:37 PM
It's my understanding that Butterfly kicks are not for whacking people, but for clearing people out of the way so you can retreat/regroup.

Well although I didn't see it my friend told me that he got hit with it for a demo he was practicing for with another buddy of mines and said that it hurt like a *****. I think he was knocked down on the floor or so I believe.

The butterfly kick is not only done as an evasive move but as a stirke as well.

However the way how it is supposed to be done is where people seem to miss the point. When you do a butterfly kick you're supposed to graze the opponents face and and not hit it dead on 'cuz you lose momentum and fall straight down. Timing and distance is the hard part and I would rather use it as an evasive move. It can be done but you need to work on that a lot.

MonkeySlap Too
12-09-2002, 02:37 PM
I've found TKD to be pretty unimpressive.

But I have met a few impressive TKD players.

dezhen2001
12-09-2002, 02:43 PM
i never did a butterfly kick and hit someone but i have done with a kartwheel :D it was during a practise dor a kinda gymnastics/martial arts demo we were playing around with... and i managed to hit my friend with both legs one after the other! :D he fell down and was concussed and i had a sore foot coz i landed wrong lol

was pretty fun :cool:

dawood

OdderMensch
12-10-2002, 06:37 PM
just the other day sparing I saw a concrete example of something my Sifu is always warning us about. Never get up from the ground face first!

This girl was sparing the instructer, and get triped and lands ok, then just gets up face first and WACK! gets nailed in the face. he wears big gloves and she wasn't hurt, but I sure learned something.

Serpent
12-10-2002, 06:59 PM
Originally posted by OdderMensch
he looks at me like :confused: and i'm all :rolleyes: so he goes :mad: but i'm :cool: and fend him off till the rounds done.

Nice use of smilies. Well done.

Sharky
12-10-2002, 07:01 PM
credit where credit's due

Serpent
12-10-2002, 07:07 PM
Originally posted by Sharky
credit where credit's due

Absolutely.

neptunesfall
12-10-2002, 08:37 PM
Originally posted by OdderMensch

that's the funniest thing i've ever read on KFO

Serpent
12-10-2002, 08:56 PM
Originally posted by neptunesfall

that's the funniest thing i've ever read on KFO

High praise indeed!