PDA

View Full Version : Advice on fighting

gaben
12-09-2002, 02:59 PM
Hey , I was wondering what do you guys think is more effective in a real life fight. Planning out your moves or just never giving him time to think (like dishing out so much pain that he cant think or react)

SevenStar
12-09-2002, 03:11 PM
How can you plan out your moves if you don't know what he's gonna do? anticipation can get you killed. Ideally, you want to run away. If you can't run away, you want to be able to end the situation as fast as you possibly can.

red5angel
12-09-2002, 03:21 PM
gaben, 7star is right, why try to plan it out? Its like doing forms training expecting you will fight exactly like you do your forms. Running if you can is the best option, its sounds cowardly but its the truth, fighting is a big unknown to all involved and you never know where it can go.
I use the escalation theory. If I can get out of the situation then that is what I will do. If I can't, but I can defend myself without hurting anyone badly then I will, and if I have to fight for my life, I am going with your second option, I am going to dish out as much punishment as I can, as fast as I can and not give him time to think.

ewallace
12-09-2002, 03:39 PM
Would this be for a "meet me at the bike racks after school" fight?

red5angel
12-09-2002, 03:40 PM
Good point ewallace, if thats the case I would just hit him with the bike rack.

OdderMensch
12-09-2002, 03:45 PM
once in middle school a kid said he would "meet me by my bike" after school. I said sure whatever, then walked home. I went by my old school and he's still there, waiting for me to get my bike. :D

I hated tht bike anyway, **** chain always snagged ;)

red5angel
12-09-2002, 03:54 PM
OM, you should have hit him with the chain......

GunnedDownAtrocity
12-09-2002, 04:07 PM
gaben ... simply buy a gun and learn to use it. dont shoot your eye out.

gaben
12-09-2002, 05:44 PM
lol yeah i am guessing this is a "meet after school by the bike rack" fight , I realy dont think I need to buy a gun , or run.

joedoe
12-09-2002, 05:49 PM
School fights usually start with some posturing and trash talk. Hit him early during this phase and keep hitting him. Simple :)

Stacey
12-09-2002, 06:31 PM
act really relaxed and aloof when he's talking ****. He'll either keep a buffer zone or be up in your face.

In the former, rush him, take him down and beat him.

in the latter, knee him in the nuts to uproot him while simultaneously uppercutting him in the chin, hook your leg to the inside and push down on his chest so that you land with your forearm in his neck and your knee on his groin. Ground and pound with fury.

or from the knee/uppercut use another. Do it in a smooth motion and you'll never have problems again.

He'll likely swing with his right for shoot, just puch and keep punching quickly. You will miss, keep em coming.

Laughing Cow
12-09-2002, 06:38 PM
Here is my take.

Let him get really close and into your face, or you do it.

At one point push/shove him forcefully back and get ready to be attacked.

Once he got enough distance he will try to rush you while delivering the first punch.

Most of all stay calm and in control.

Just my 0.2 cents worth.

gaben
12-09-2002, 07:39 PM
yeah my biggest problem is staying calm , like i will get so pumped up over it that i will actualy throw bad punches due to the fact that i cant calm down.

SevenStar
12-09-2002, 07:49 PM
that'll be fixed with time and practice, if you train right.

Shisio
12-09-2002, 08:10 PM
Isn't rushing 'em a plan?

Laughing Cow
12-09-2002, 08:14 PM
Originally posted by Shisio
Isn't rushing 'em a plan?

I would only do so, if I am VERY sure that it will suceed.

Most people that do a rush over-commit themselves, and thus give the advantage to a trained & ready opponent.

Just my 0.2 cents worth.

ewallace
12-09-2002, 08:46 PM
Generally I wouldn't encourage provoking action, but if it's gonna happen, forget the pushing and smack talk crap. One good powerful unexpected shot and it will probably be over. Worked for me many times in grade school. Just remember, he may have the same plan for you.

Mr Punch
12-10-2002, 01:19 AM
I agree with the gent above. My grandma once decked some posh bint while she was taking her coat off and rolling her sleeves up.

And no, I'm not kidding. Nails, that woman, pure nails!:D

red5angel
12-10-2002, 07:50 AM
I'm with ewallace, if you're determined to fight then I say wait until he starts talking crap or goes to shove you and jack him in the face once or twice.
Or hit him with the bike rack.....

buksing_king
12-10-2002, 08:52 AM
A few good moves i have seen in my time at highschool ( present moment )

When two opponents are with their faces inches apart
* A head-butt to the other guys nose will usually cause severe bleeding and short-term blindness ( due to eyes watering)
* Any elbow that you can throw, usually he wont see one that comes from diagonally down , this can also be followed by a cross from the other hand
* A structured boxing hook, this is effective when close is because it is such a powerful punch, but it is important not to telegraph this punch
* A knee to the groin , this may get the crowd against you though so use with caution
* Any quick un-telegraphed straight punch to the nose or possibly the jaw will do some damage

When the fight has turned into a standing brawl
* Cover up against hooks, especially from his right because thats what most peopel do in these instances
* Don't be afraid to go for body-shots as these as very effective
* Don't stoop to his level of fighting by throwing wild lefts and rights as your guard will not be effective and accuracy and sometimes even power will not be as high
* Try to hold a firm stance, this means you will not end up pon the ground as easy, and if you are slugging it out, you will be able to deliver more poweful punches because you are grounded properly
* Also , if you are good at kicking, go for a push-kick as he is about to charge at you , but only if you know you will not fall over
* Some good roundhouse muay-thai style kicks always do damage to ribs and legs and will probably also frighten your opponent as he realises you are trained and ( hopefully) conditioned
Against a wall
* Go for diagonal elbows,
* Also getting your hands behind his head with your elbows down whilst kneeeing him will work ( common in kickboxing)
* Throw lots of uppercuts, as he wont see them coming and is probably covering for or throwing hooks

On the ground
Well i don't know much here since my style is pretty much stand-up with limited ground fighting
But what i have seen to be effective

* Blitzing on the ground seems to be effective for some reason
* Mounting then pummeling
* Kicking, especially with your shins
* Elbows if you are entangled are good aswell

I probably know of/ have seen of some more techniques but I can't think of them at the moment

Just my 2 cents worth

Cipher
12-10-2002, 09:16 AM
It's always good to have certain techs and attacks under your belt in training, but the best thing is to go by your reflexes and instinct. You build this up after training for a while.

In other words if you have spent many hours drilling jab-cross until it becomes natural and a reflexive move but never trained kneeing or elbowing someone then your more likely to be successful jab-crossing them.

red5angel
12-10-2002, 09:50 AM
I got another tactic. Bring a chair to the fight and arrive early so when the guy gets there you are sitting down all :cool: and stuff right? Say something bad a$$ like "I am going to beat you sitting in this chair."
When he goes to push or punch you hit him with the chair a few times then say something witty and funny like " I'm sorry I meant I am going to beat you WITH this chair."

ewallace
12-10-2002, 10:01 AM
Just get some red contact lenses and some white powdered donuts and in your best devil voice go "Give me a keg of beer...and these" and hold up the donuts.

mantis_seeker
12-10-2002, 10:08 AM
If this is really a meet me after school fight, I wouldn't go. Don't fight on his terms. He may jump you with a couple of friends, you just don't know. If he really wants to fight let him come to you then kick his a$$. Then you are really styling ;) . You get to beat someone up and take the moral high ground by not wanting to fight.
Still in the end like my Sifu sez "Avoid the fight at all costs, but if you do fight, you better not make the school look bad!"

mantis_seeker

GunnedDownAtrocity
12-10-2002, 10:41 AM
make sure you let us know how it goes man. we like to hear about fights. cause most of us are out of highschool and dont get in many .... they hurt more now.

SevenStar
12-10-2002, 11:17 AM
Originally posted by buksing_king

* Any elbow that you can throw, usually he wont see one that comes from diagonally down , this can also be followed by a cross from the other hand

It can be hard to get any real power from that if you don't know how. If you are going to do that, you may as well justr uppercut him.

* A structured boxing hook, this is effective when close is because it is such a powerful punch, but it is important not to telegraph this punch

try to be in a position where your hands ore up, palms open, a little below shoulder level, like if you were raising your hands and saying "I don't want to fight you" you will look unagressive to him, but your hands will be in a good place to throw the hook.

* A knee to the groin , this may get the crowd against you though so use with caution

it doesn't matter if the crowd is against you, but don't rely on groin strikes; In a high adrenaline situation, you sometimes will not feel it until after the fight.

* Try to hold a firm stance, this means you will not end up pon the ground as easy, and if you are slugging it out, you will be able to deliver more poweful punches because you are grounded properly

be firm, but stay moving and attacking. if you are too firm, you may actually make it easier for him to take you down.

* Also , if you are good at kicking, go for a push-kick as he is about to charge at you , but only if you know you will not fall over

screw a push kick, it's a fight, not the ring or sparring. you don't want to take the chance that his charge may knock you off balance. If he's rushing you with a punch and you can't strike before him, then sidestep - get out of the way. moving out of the way and to some angle will give you better options for stiking him without sudden retaliation anyway.

* Some good roundhouse muay-thai style kicks always do damage to ribs and legs and will probably also frighten your opponent as he realises you are trained and ( hopefully) conditioned

Nothing always works. after two years of MT, most guys I spar hurt their own legs when they tried to leg kick me. you can build up somewhat of a tolerance to it. And some people naturally have that tolerance. I'm not saying don't use it, only that you shouldn't expect it to always work. that goes for the ribs also.

Against a wall

* Also getting your hands behind his head with your elbows down whilst kneeeing him will work ( common in kickboxing)

If you're the one against the wall, that won't work too well - you won't have any power. you will have to fight yourself at least several inches away from the wall first.

* Blitzing on the ground seems to be effective for some reason

can you clarify that one? I'm not sure what you mean

* Kicking, especially with your shins

while you're on the ground?? where is your opponent?

* Elbows if you are entangled are good aswell

If you're on top. from the bottom, you won't get much power out of it.

SevenStar
12-10-2002, 11:20 AM
mantis seeker made a good point - meeting him at his location could land you in an ambush

red5angel
12-10-2002, 11:21 AM
I would also recommend a Molotov ****tail, if you are in school it should be easy to whip one up, just stop by your chemistry class and borrow a bottle or two and some combustible chemicals and watch the fun begin.

And keep in mind, it's always funnier if when you are on fire, you run around screaimng and flapping your arms.

gaben
12-10-2002, 02:48 PM
Thanks for all your guys advice and for the fight .... well yeah it turns out that this kid is one ov them people that like to talk **** but actualy do nothing. This kid has been telling me that he has been taking some type ov kung fu (the fool doesnt even give a style) for 8 years. Ok well I havint been training for 8 years but I didnt realy care so I said I would fight him whenever. So it ends up that this kids friend says to me "um he doesnt wanna hurt you so he cant fight you" hmm , 1st off this kid has been talking **** way to long for him just now thinking "oh wait I have so much skill that ... um I am deadly and dont want to fight" So now this kid wont fight me due to his deadly skills in an unknown kung fu. Lol what kind ov bull **** is this? Im sorry that I didnt get to use any ov your guys advices but realy ... next time I see this kid (not sure when) Im just going to ****ing knock his ***** ass out.

red5angel
12-10-2002, 02:50 PM
If the guy practices or says he practices martial arts, try to get together to spar with him. That way you guys can hit each other goofy. Just throw on some pads and go at it!

ewallace
12-11-2002, 09:39 AM
It's probably best to just let this one go Gaben. You didn't back down and it looks like you avoided a fight. That's a win-win situation.

Chang Style Novice
12-11-2002, 09:42 AM
ewallace is correct. The guy already looks like a giant yellabelly. What more could you ask for?

red5angel
12-11-2002, 09:50 AM
ewallace is correct as usual, if th emoment has passed let it go, just stay out of his way for a few days and he will most likely forget about it.