PDA

View Full Version : jesse glover and chi sau

russellsherry
12-09-2002, 04:25 PM
hi guys i like jesses books a lot but heres my 2 cents worth i think jesse was just talking about chi sau iin which he thinks can not be applied in a street fight this is true one way not true in another ok you cannot chi sau a guy in the classical way in a street fight , but you can use its concepts and trapping and this is were i am supprised by this statement and while i olny trained with wong sifu twice jesse must remember wong frought
boxers fencing masters other gung fu people as well and sifu
was bruce lee teacher and lee got a lot of his ideas from sifu wong i think with great respect to jesse he got his statement a little wrong i think russell sherry

JaRmEz
12-10-2002, 02:49 PM
i agree chi sau can be used in street fights well teh conecpt can it also helps you to make you feeling sences better all i can say there is trust in what you said and what hesse cuz i mean like no1s gonna start rolling in teh street lol but its conepts and movments can be used in some cirumstances :D

45degree fist
12-10-2002, 07:01 PM
Chi Sau is a tool like any WC skill, it is only used when needed.

russellsherry
12-17-2002, 05:23 PM
thanks jarez i aggre with you you must have trned wc a long time buddy cheers and merry xmas

tparkerkfo
12-17-2002, 05:34 PM
I can't believe people actually think we chi sao in a fight. LOL. I have not read Mr Glover's article and I don't really know his position or his knowledge of wing chun. I assume he learned some with Lee and followed up with others after Lee's passing.

But in any case, Chi Sau is indeed a tool. Its purpose is to develop sensitivity and correct structure. Not to fight. People get too hooked on it since we do it so much. The trapping is incidental and not even needed. But the sensitivity and structure is.

In a real fight, we would seek to hit what is presented , perhaps by using the direct line down the center if open. Should we run into an obsticle, we can react as we have been conditioned to in our hours and hours of chi sau training. If it feels one way, we do this, else we might do that.

Maybe now I will go check out what he is saying.
Tom
________
Bmw 320 history (http://www.bmw-tech.org/wiki/BMW_320)

russellsherry
12-17-2002, 05:44 PM
Originally posted by russellsherry
thanks jarez i aggre with you you must have trned wc a long time buddy cheers and merry xmas

tom hi mate i did not say you can use chi sau in the classical way, i am talking about pack sau tansau for setting up teck and like sifu david says closet weopen to nearest target also is some cases you can use sticking as a jamm teckinquicke russell sherry

YungChun
12-17-2002, 06:42 PM
I shot them an email - posted in the other thread on this topic. They seem to think they invented forward energy and joint locks. My impression is that a lot of these guys were caught in the 'snap shot' of what Bruce's understanding of the system was at the beginning of him training them. He was possibly discovering the use of forward energy at that time and it was perceived by them as his innovation. Of course this is not the case as Chung Chi has been and still is a vital component of the original system. It is interesting to me to hear their viewpoint on the subject.