PDA

View Full Version : yks wck wooden dummy question?

wingchunalex
12-09-2002, 08:58 PM
what is yuen kay san wing chun kuen's dummy form like? how similar or dissimilar is it to yip man's? is is arranged the similarly, how does it compare in number of moves? I was curious cause I saw the pan nam video on their wooden dummy and it is fairly different from yip man's though it does have the same basic essence (which i find intreging and cool). thanks.

Grendel
12-09-2002, 09:02 PM
Originally posted by wingchunalex
what is yuen kay san wing chun kuen's dummy form like? how similar or dissimilar is it to yip man's? is is arranged the similarly, how does it compare in number of moves? I was curious cause I saw the pan nam video on their wooden dummy and it is fairly different from yip man's though it does have the same basic essence (which i find intreging and cool). thanks.

I've never seen Pan Nam's dummy video. What do you find to be the similar "essence" to Yip Man's jong set? I assume you are not referring to the number of moves or its arrangement.

Regards,

t_niehoff
12-10-2002, 05:36 AM
wingchunalex wrote:

---------------

Grendel wrote:

What do you find to be the similar "essence" to Yip Man's jong set?

---------------

It seems to me that if the different "lineages" are all using the same instrument (muk yan jong), to develop the same things, with the same tools, etc. we should expect them, choreography aside, to be very similar. TN

BTW, what do the "number of moves" have to do with anything? TN

Terence

wingchunalex
12-10-2002, 07:54 AM
for example in the pan nam form they do the tan sau and lower palm strike without stepping up into the dummy, then they step into the dummy with the jam sau and gaun sau, its opposite in yip man, they step in with the tan and lower palm strike and step back with the jam and gaun. but in essence its the same. i just found that interesting. but i really would like to know how similar yuen kay san dummy form is to yip man dummy form.

reneritchie
12-10-2002, 07:56 AM
Similar content but different choreography. Historically, Yuen Kay-San learned the wooden dummy from Fok Bo-Chuen and then integrated some movements from Fung Siu-Ching. Later, Sum Nung learned Yuen's dummy, and integrated in some movements from Cheung Bo. Thus, it draws upon a rich background, but also maintains a very nice flow to the over all set.

Numbers always depend on who's counting and what (and often why)

RR

wingchunalex
12-10-2002, 08:02 AM
is there any place i might be able to get a look at it, internet link? video? thanks. the dummy forms are my favorite thing to compare with the different styles of wck. thanks again.

wingchunalex
12-10-2002, 08:05 AM
with the numbers thing, i was wondering like a approximaiton. like i heard that yip mans first dummy form had like 140 moves and he condensed it down to 108/116. So i was just wondering, oh, and also, i've never seen this older 140 move yip man form, i was wondering if it might be more similar or dissimilar form the yeun kay san form?

reneritchie
12-10-2002, 09:18 AM
Wingchunalex - no video links that I'm aware of. I read one article that claimed it was 155 movements, but who knows? It all depends how/what/why you count.

All the Yip Man sets I've seen, zany ones aside, have been far closer to each other than to Sum Nung's, so I don't believe 108, 116, 140, etc. made much difference.

RR