PDA

View Full Version : DRAGON STYLES

FIRE HAWK
07-29-2000, 02:50 PM
This information comes from a magazine called WUSHU KUNG FU QIGONG Aug/Sep 1996.In it it talks about these chinese Dragon styles 1The Wutang Dragon styles are called 1Black dragon this is a external style 2Clear Dragon style is a internal style and is somtimes called Gray dragon,Blue dragon,Green dragon,The Clear dragon was called these other names by the WuTang monastery to confuse enemy spies by concealing the Clear dragon style3 Sky dragon this is a internal style and is the acrobatic style of the WuTang Dragon family. The OMAY Monastery Dragon style family 1Golden dragon this is a internal style2Silver dragon this is a internal style 3Fire dragon this is also a internal style 4The red dragon is the external style of the Omay Dragon style family.The OMay red dragon is combined with the fire dragon to be soft and hard the student will learn both styles for a well rounded style.OMAY monastery also paired off the two other dragon styles the Golden dragon and the Silver dragon also for a well developed style the student will learn these to internal dragon styles.This article that i got this information from was written by someone named Grandmaster King he learned from a shaolin abbot and a Daoist priest.this article also talks about shaolin dragon claw and it also talks about these dragon styles such as there stances and tecniques it is 7pages long so if anybody wants to no more about what is written on these dragon styles in this article ask me and i will write what this article says about them.THE WuTang Black dragon the Omay Red dragon and the WuTang Sky dragon sound real cool does anybody know or have any experience or any other information on these styles.FIRE HAWK

Lung Ying
07-31-2000, 12:39 AM
Fire Hawk-

Interesting Info. I practice Lung Ying which is a form of Dragon fist popular in Hong Kong and Southern China. It is a Shaolin based system and was later refined by the late Master Lam Yu Kwai, who learned Dragon style from a Shaolin Monk in the late 1800's.
I know there are alot of variations of Dragon systems as you mentioned, I'll probably order a back issue of that magazine.

Peace

Valraven
07-31-2000, 02:23 AM
Fire Hawk, I would be interested in this information.

Lung Ying, Is your system related to the golden dragon ground fighting system I've seen on the web? Can you give me some info on this system?

FIRE HAWK
07-31-2000, 08:11 AM
LUNG YING Lam Yu Kwai s DRAGON STYLE is cool i have a book on this style called LUNG YING MOR KIU by authors CHOW FOOK and CS TANG i wish i could learn this style but there are no sifu s where i live and you cant learn from a book. Valraven what would you like to know about wich Dragon style there are many of them in the article and the article is real long.FIRE HAWK

molum_jr
07-31-2000, 09:42 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by FIRE HAWK:
LUNG YING Lam Yu Kwai s DRAGON STYLE is cool i have a book on this style called LUNG YING MOR KIU by authors CHOW FOOK and CS TANG i wish i could learn this style but there are no sifu s where i live and you cant learn from a book. Valraven what would you like to know about wich Dragon style there are many of them in the article and the article is real long.FIRE HAWK[/quote]

I've seen CS Tang's advertisment on the Lung Ying book. How informative is it?

FIRE HAWK
07-31-2000, 10:38 AM
Molum_jr Chow Fook and CS TANG book is 255 pages it has a very long form thatis 63pages long this part of the book is in english it tells you how to do the form and has things like right mor cup, left mour cup, big bo left long king,lup shui sui kiu,big poo sam tung,big poobui chee, big poo chung tsui,sink and break bamboo,hoi dee lou yuet,right upstand lam dar,left lup shui right cheong tsu,dui ma mor cup,continuose big boo mor cup,big boo sheung pui kim,downstand ton kiu ,big boo right punch, these are some of the names in the formthere are many more.This book also has pictures of LAM YU KWAI and adrawing type of picture of the TAI YUK MONK this book goes into the history of the style and its lineage most of this book is written in chinese if you can read chinese then you will learn a lot of things about this style i cannot read chinese i wish i could. FIRE HAWK

Lung Ying
07-31-2000, 09:05 PM
Lung Ying, Is your system related to the golden dragon ground fighting system I've seen on the web? Can you give me some info on this system?

Valraven-

I'm not sure how closely related Lung Ying is with the golden dragon system, but I wouldn't doubt that there are some similarities since most of these styles are Shaolin based. We do have alot of ground fighting techniques though. There is definitely alot of confusion about the origin of alot of the Dragon systems, but to think of them as all Shaolin systems which developed differently may clear it up for you.Master Lam took alot of the best aspects from different Dragon systems and put them together to form Lung Ying. Alot of people praise him for "breathing new life into the system". We have external and internal aspects in Lung Ying which makes the syatem very complex in the later stages. It is also worth noting that Master Lam accepted alot of challenges and was said to be undefeated.
The style is widely practiced in Southern China and Hong Kong but is very rare here in North America. If you want to know more, there is a pretty good Write-up on Dragon style in the book "Kung-Fu: History Philosophy and Technique" by David Chow and Richard Spangler.

FireHawk-

I also have Chow Fook's book on Lung Ying. His book was criticized by my Si Gong's (who studied under Master Lam) because he only studied under Master Lam for a couple years, and isn't considered to be an authority on the system. They do give him credit for having put a book together since no one else ever did on Lung Ying! Most of the movements are accurate like Sup Lok Dung, the 16 movements form. Some of his other movements are done a bit differently from the way we do them, but that may be because of his age at the time of the book, he died shortly afterwards. All in all, I think it's a good book to have. You can find a picture of Chow Fook next to Lam Yu Kwai's son in in "Kung-Fu: History Philosophy and Technique" by David Chow and Richard Spangler.

Please feel free to check out my schools website at:
http://www.angelfire.com/ny2/dragonstyle/kungfu.html

Peace /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

mantis108
07-31-2000, 11:12 PM
Hi all,

I studied under Sifu Chow Fook back in the late 70s and early 80s. He was a kind soul.

He studied Bak Mei under Sigung Cheung Lai Chun first and then with Sigung Lam Yui Kwai. So his Lung Ying has more a Bak Mei flavour to it. I understand it that Lung Ying excepts and sometimes exchanges students with other systems; therefore, one would see different flavour in different lineage. Personally, I agree that Sifu Lam Woon Kwong's (Sigung's elder son) lineage is a solid representation of Lung Ying. I sought out a mentor, Sifu Sam Hung, who is from Sifu Lum Woon Kwong's lineage, to continue my Lung Ying's study.

BTW, I have not yet read the book by Sifu Chow Fook. I, too, wonder how it is like?

Mantis108

------------------
Contraria Sunt Complementa

Lung Ying
07-31-2000, 11:48 PM
Mantis108,

I remember my Sifu saying the same thing, that Chow Fook was more of an authority on Bak Mei rather than Lung Ying. I think that it's great he put a book together though, I definetly recomend you to get a copy if possible, it's mostly in Chinese(I was thinking of having someone translate it for me).
How do you find Lung Ying as compared to any other styles you may have practiced? I practiced a Northern style prior to this and I feel much more comfortable with Lung Ying (especially the stances).

Peace /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Kevin Barkman
08-02-2000, 07:36 AM
Dragoners,

I must say that CS Tang's book is the most authoritative reference to LY that exists at the moment. Chow Fook has an international reputation as an exceedingly skilled and gracious, open minded promoter of the (closed door) Hakka systems.

BTW - Chow Fook was (and is still) known to the Dragon Community as being the "Elder Brother" of the Dragon School - One of Lam Yiu Kwai's top seven disciples. I wonder why any legitimate practitioner in the Lung Ying community would venture such a controversial view on Chow Fook's reputation (?).

Smashing Bridge Kevin

Kevin Barkman
08-02-2000, 07:41 AM
(I did not write anything, yet this infernal, cursed device posted me twice in the same vein)

[This message has been edited by Kevin Barkman (edited 08-02-2000).]

meltdawn
08-02-2000, 08:27 AM
Kevin, Mantis, nice to see you both. :}

If memory serves me correct (and I'll admit sometimes I order steak but end up with a burger), "Lungying" is a new student to the system and Yip Wing Hung is his sifu. So there are differences between his perception of the system and "ours". Maybe the comment from his sifu was percieved in error and relayed without forethought. My master teaches restraint and goodwill, foundations of lung ying.

I have Yip's video; I'm purchasing Tang's book. I have learned from one, I hope to learn from the other. I find seeing the range of differences as well as similarities is informative and helpful. So Robert and Kevin, how do the above Dragons relate to lung ying?

PS: there is a saying in the race horse industry: "they're ALL related to Secretariat". Change that to Lam Yew Kwai...

Lung Ying
08-02-2000, 08:33 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by meltdawn:
Kevin, Mantis, nice to see you both. :}

Maybe the comment from his sifu was percieved in error and relayed without forethought. [/quote]

Meltdawn-

There was absolutely no direspect intended for Chow Fook or anyone else, I am sure he was a kind and knowledgeable master, and I must say that all of my statements are thought out before I make them. The comment that was made by our Si Gong was in regard to Chow Fook being more of an authority on Bak Mei rather than Lung Ying. He also felt it great that someone put together a book on our system, since no one else ever has, and he was very interested in the book. Since he studied directly under Lam Yu Kwai, I highly value his comments and opinions so I thought I would share them with all of you. My Sifu is one of the kindest, patient, and rightous people I have ever known, as well as a solid aothority on our system, I consider it an honor and a privilage to be able to study with him and our Si Gong's.
Meltdawn, As you stated "there are differences between his perception of the system and ours". Yes! Of course! I really don't believe that how long I have been studying or who's my Sifu , is reason for you to dis-credit what I stated. There are always different interpretations of systems, that's how so many variety's of the same system develops, and that's why there are so many different opinions. I really hope you aren't implying that your interpretation of Dragon form is "the right one". So, there was no "error" in what I stated, different interpreatations exist, in this light, we can learn and add new perspectives to what we already know.

Peace to all /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

billy_pilgrim
08-02-2000, 11:33 PM
meltdawn,

Where in Florida do you study Lung Ying? Does your school have a web page? Any info would be appreciated. Thanks.

mantis108
08-02-2000, 11:55 PM
Hi All,

When discussion involves our loved and respected people, we all tend to over reacting a little. We must understand that as individual we all develope differently, eventhough we are in the same family of Kung Fu. Lung Ying give his honest opinion, Kevin repond with love of his Sigung and passion for his arts, and Meltdawn trying to restore harmony between us by explain what might be varying perspective. All in all, nobody is trying to discredit anybody. It is definitely, not Lung Ying is about. Remember that LungYing is an Buddhist temple art. We don't have to see eye to eye with other family members but we will still love them all, right? Anyway, we are getting off topic here. Sorry to other posters.

Back to the topic. Many of the Dragons are, IMHO, often present as separate forms within other systems. There is rarely a fully developed system. Lung Ying, IMHO, is by far the most well developed Dragon system. It has all that you want from a Kung Fu system. Philosophies, theories, techniques, metodology, traditions and history are all structured into one nice package. Study of just one or two aspects can be quit a handful. A word on the techniques, there are many powerful fist strikes in Lung Ying than most other Dragons. If you are thinking holding a "ball" in dragon's claw and doing numerous twist stances (to training the spirit) than you haven't seen the real combat oriented Lung Ying.

Mantis108

------------------

Lung Ying
08-03-2000, 01:38 AM
Really well said. I am always anxious to see how other schools interprete Dragon, I'm sure we would be surprised how much insight it can give us. One school may excel in a certain aspect where the other school lacks, and vice versa. Sharing can be a wonderful thing if we allow it to be.

Back to the topic. I'd love to find out exactly how Lung Ying relates to the other Dragon systems, this would be a great topic of research. mantis108, Do you believe that it all originates with the Dragon in the Shaolin animal fists? It would seem to make sense but I'm only speculating.

Peace to all /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

meltdawn
08-04-2000, 03:34 AM
Hot topic, eh gang?

LUNG YING:
Lung, I hope Mantis clarified my reaction for you, I meant NO disrespect. We in Dragon must remain strong brethren. Due to the scarcity of our fellow practitioners in this country, we must also strive to hold true to its traditions and history.

I must make two more mentions to further clarify the discussion of the book.

"I also have Chow Fook's book on Lung Ying. His book was criticized by my Si Gong's (who studied under Master Lam) because he only studied under Master Lam for a couple years, and isn't considered to be an authority on the system."
In 1945, Chow Fook operated 16 gyms in China. in 1962 he established a REGISTERED Dragon Fist school. This means the Lam family approved AND authorized. I only say this to give face to a great teacher so that others who may read this post gain further insight.

"Si Gong's (who studied under Master Lam
..." "Since he studied directly under Lam Yu Kwai"
It is my understanding that Yip studied under Cho Sam who studied under Lam Yew Kwai. Do you study directly under Yip? So was it Cho Sam who had the opinion? I met and had lunch with Yip's top student and now a master of his own school, sifu Joe Cheung (I hope I got his last name correct!) and his class in Chinatown after the Asian Festival in May. They are a GREAT group of guys!!! I hope to visit their school when I come back up in October.

FIREWALK
Here are my thoughts on the Dragon schools:
Wu Tang and Omei were temples like Shao Lin. I would hazard a guess that these styles came out of each temple's five animals studies. As lung ying became a system unto itself, so must have these other temple's dragon forms. Buuut, I don't know! I study some shaolin five animals, and the dragon is different than lung ying.

BILLY PILGRIM:
I'm about an hour south of Tampa. I'm sorry, but I have no website to pass on. My teacher does not have a school nor teach openly at this time. As far as other sites go, there are Yip's, CSTang's, Steve Martin's and then there's a Green Dragon school and lung shou pai.

Kevin Barkman
08-05-2000, 04:14 AM
Hello all,

Mantis 108 and Meltdawn, thanks for the gentle rebuke - I apologize if I seemed a bit cross there. I learned the hard way (and am still trying to hammerfist it into my brain) not to make public my own teacher's comments and opinions, but to limit my public comments to what I have experienced myself and know to be true.

Anyway, I think an excellent body of work has been emerging from the Dragon community, starting with Sifu Martin's articles, then Sifu Yip's videos (I am really looking forward to the "advanced" video should he ever decide to make one), then on to CS Tang's releases (and Sifu Ma Gok Fai's VCD). Same kudos to Sifu Luo Han Zhong for his efforts!

There are also a few other articles posted on Dragon (from Tai Yuk Lineage), including mention from Jane Hallander, David Chow and Richard Spangler, and most recently Simon Lailey who did an article on Master Cheung Kwok Tai of the HK Dragon Sign Athletic Association. I had the priviledge of training with Mr. Lailey in HK - he was in the process of writing several articles, not only on LY, but Bak Mei and Jook Lum as well.

By the way, if there are any students from Sifu Yip Wing Hong's school on here, I would really appreciate learning what the current school's address is. Sifu Yip did me a great favour several years back, and wanted some information, but the two letters I have sent were returned - I guess he moved from his old location?

Cheers! Kevin

meltdawn
08-05-2000, 06:38 PM
Kevin,
I think we can all learn something from your opening paragraph. /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

I checked the espy site, but I doubt something sent to them would make it to Yip. I'll ask my sifu in NYC for his address. I know they are on good terms, so he should have it. Otherwise, Lung Ying should definitely know it.

I would love to have the links or possobly copies of the articles you mention. I am very fortunate to have a teacher who is not only very forthcoming with information but receptive to other views. Also, his input on the background of other lung ying masters gives me a good perspective of the style.

I have a notebook in which I am keeping all info and correspondence relating to lung ying. It is also a journal. I showed this to my teacher the first time with great trepidation. His reaction was positive; he encouraged me to dig deeper and record all my experiences along this journey so that maybe one day I can write a book. Wow...

Would you correspond with me via e-mail? Robert can vouch for my validity... no, wait! Don't ask him, he'll only say what a pest I am!!! /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Kevin Barkman
08-06-2000, 02:27 AM
Hi Meltdawn - please email me anytime!

Kevin Barkman hkbark@escape.ca

cheers - Kevin

FIRE HAWK
08-06-2000, 09:37 AM
Hi Kevin Barkman i have found a strange BAI MEI,BAK MAI,WHITE EYEBROW WEBSITE.HERE it is if you have not all ready seen this website.http://home1.gte.net/taoist/pages/baimei.htm and http://home1.gte.net/taoist/pages/emei.htm also htt://home1.gte.net/taoist/pages/tfe.htm THIS website talks about BAK MAI and his history and a form that he created called the three form eagle claw qin na and talks about the EMEI mountain school kung fu. FIRE HAWK

billy_pilgrim
08-06-2000, 09:01 PM
meltdawn,

Thanks for the info. I live in the Tampa area and would love to study Lung Ying. My email is:
dpr3223@hotmail.com
Please let me know if your teacher decides to open his doors or at least accept an additional student. Thanks.

Lung Ying
08-06-2000, 09:19 PM
Hi All,

Meltdawn-
Again, I too, meant no disrespect to you or your schools heritage. We all must keep strong, after all there's alot we can learn from eachother!
We have 2 Si Gong's who come to our school on Sunday's to make corrections and us give guidance. They were classmates of Si Gong Cho Sam, who also studied under Master Lam Yu Kwai, so I guess we should really be calling them both Si Bak Gong (please correct me if I'm wrong about the Chinese title for a Si Gong's classmate). I'm sure there is alot of truth to your post about Chow Fook and I always keep a very open mind, and I Thank you for your feedback. Your intention to preserve the good name and integrity of your lineage is an admirable thing and I support your views. Si Gong Cho Sam passed away a few years ago, so I was unfortunate to have never met him. So it's very lucky to have the other Si Gong's around to still give us a feel for the old world though. I fully agree with Kevin's first paragraph about what comments should be made openly. I'm sure if comments were made about my teacher, school or lineage I would feel very offended as well. Speak to you soon /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Kevin Barkman:
Hello all,

By the way, if there are any students from Sifu Yip Wing Hong's school on here, I would really appreciate learning what the current school's address is. Sifu Yip did me a great favour several years back, and wanted some information, but the two letters I have sent were returned - I guess he moved from his old location?

Cheers! Kevin[/quote]

Hi Kevin,
Really great last post, and very true. I study with Sifu Yip, and I would be more than happy to help. The school was moved twice in the last few years so I'm not surprised that your letters were returned, I'm sure he would have written you back. I'll find out if it's better to mail it to the school or at home to ensure that he gets it. If you would rather, you can e-mail me your note at dnavarria@bankofny.com and I will give it to him. I have met alot of nice people on this forum who have been very kind , so if I can help I would be more than happy.

Let me know

Thanks and Peace to all /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

meltdawn
08-07-2000, 01:50 AM
Awesome info coming out here!

LUNG YING:
I'm sorry, maybe I'm dense, but I still don't get the relationship of Yip to you. Is your sifu one of his students therefore Yip is your sigung? Or are two of Cho Sam's kung fu brothers visitors? Or does Yip have a kung fu brother whom also visits the school? How fortunate you are to have the benefit of two masters!

Just to clarify my lineage, Chow Fook is not my teacher. My teacher studied directly under several members of the Lam family. He is in the HK Dragon Sign AA and an Honorary Life President of the HKCMAA. He was also invited to be honor board director of Guanzhou Hua Lin Temples and was selected to be in the Chinese National Skills Roster, books 2 and 3.

BILLY:
All you need to do is drive down and eat at his restaurant a few times a week for a year, never saying a word, LOL! Seriously, email me about yourself. /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

KEVIN:
When you speak of Ma Gok Fai's video, would he be Ma Chai's son? If so, hee hee, I've already seen it!

FIRE HAWK
08-07-2000, 01:22 PM
Hi here is 2 Lam Yui Kwai Dragon style websites they are in a Spanish or Latin American language http://directorio.trompo.com/categorias/Artes_Marciales_y_Boxeo.phtml Scroll down to these words and click on them this should take you to these websites these are the words ESCUELA el Puno del Dragon Loong Chuan Wushu Centro de Formacion Nacional Internacional de Kung Fu Tradicional and also LOS ORIGENES DEL ESTILO DEL DRAGON if you scroll down you should find these word click on them and they should take you to the dragon websites.If this link does not work i will have to think of an other way for you to see them. FIRE HAWK

Lung Ying
08-07-2000, 08:40 PM
Hi Meltdown-

Yes, I study directly under Sifu Yip, who still teaches in Chinatown. The two Masters in our school were classmates of our Si Gong, Cho Sam. Sifu has been teaching a very long time (over thirty years) so he does have students of his teaching in their own schools around NY. Your Sifu has great credentials, if you don't mind me asking, what's his name? Is that the Hong Kong Dragon Athletic Association? It's great that you have an authentic teacher in Florida, I know Lung Ying is pretty rare style in North America.

FIREHAWK-
Pretty cool website. There is alot of info on Lung Ying on the Dragon website directly off the first page, unfortunately I can't believe how bad my Spanish has become! When I went to Otros sitios I found a site called Estilo del Dragon and when I clicked it I found it was our Sifu's school here in NY!-pretty funny.

Peace /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

billy_pilgrim
08-08-2000, 12:59 AM
meltdawn,

I'd love to chat...what's your email?
dpr3223@hotmail.com

meltdawn
08-08-2000, 01:19 AM
Lum, Chi Ping.

Thanks, now I understand your school! Sorry, sometimes words confuse me. /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

My teacher knows of one of your sigungs who lives in NY. What are their names? I think YOU are the lucky one. These guys must be pretty old by now. And they still teach? Awesome!

Billy, email coming your way.

For anyone interested, my email's meltdawn2@aol.com

FIRE HAWK
08-08-2000, 10:47 AM
Hi would anybody on this board know anthing about a book called PHOENIX EYE FIST A SHOALIN FIGHTING ART OF SOUTH CHINA by authors CHEONG CHENG LEONG and DON F DRAEGER i posted this awhile back and a person named Kung Lek said that this was a hakka dragon style this style also goes by the name of CHUKA SHOALIN chuka would be a name for one of the southern mantis styles a guy on the Alma website told me that this book is southern mantis mixed with BOK MAI WHITE EYEBROW and EMEI kung fu does anybody know what this style might be.Also does anybody know of any LUNG YING DRAGON STYLE or BOK MAI WHITE EYEBROW SIFU s or teachers in the DAYTON OHIO AREA. FIRE HAWK

Jeffrey
08-29-2000, 02:31 AM
I don't believe there are any Dragon Style sifus in Ohio.

Jeffrey
09-03-2000, 12:22 AM
There are several Dragon Style Kung Fu videos that were developed in China. It's hard to track the tapes though. There's a brief description of Dragon Style in the book by Jane Hallander, "The Complete Guide to Kung Fu Fighting Styles" published by Unique Publications.

To my knowledge, Dragon Style is taught in San Diego, CA, Canada, and New York, NY. There used to be a Dragon Style school in Boston but the sifu, unfortunately, passed away.

Bak Mei is very similar to Dragon Style. Other systems that share some common ground includes Souther Praying Mantis and Wing Chun.

Jeffrey

Jeffrey
09-03-2000, 12:24 AM
There is also a dragon style school in Australia, the Wah Num School.

Jeffrey

Mo Ying
09-19-2000, 04:43 AM
Can you tell me where to get Chow Fook's book on lung Yin?

Lu Chi-hwa
09-19-2000, 04:51 PM
I did not read the book, but here is the site where you can find it:
http://www.go.to/cstang and click on "New Books".

Lu Chi-hwa

Biejo
09-20-2000, 05:17 AM
Lung Ying,

Email me when you have a chance
biejo_hombre@hotmail.com
I'd like to ask you a few questions about class.

Thanks.

Mo Ying
09-23-2000, 06:33 AM
Hi Lu Chi-hwa,

Thanks greatly for the info!

Mo Ying

LIN Q
10-07-2000, 05:21 PM
I'd like some feed back on the origins of the Dragon system among others one is it came from a monk of the YUA KUNG MUN system . What knowledge is there of this. I myself have studied Dragon but am currently studing Yau Kung Mun ,in the beginning I found many simularities, eg, stance , center line focus but mainly the internal forms have the most simularites, this what apparently passed on to become the Dragon system. Like I said one of a couple veiws of it's source. Interesting blend of systems , the external Yau Kung Mun, links to Pakmei also ,therefore making us related yes!

LIN Q
10-07-2000, 05:54 PM
To Lung Ying , I'm a new member to the forum though I've been following for a little while (only just discovered this invention you see!) I am studing Shaolin Yau Kun Mun but also in the past studied Dragon . Though now I still continue the forms I learnt my main focus is on the Yau KUN Mun system. Alot of simularities I feel eg ,stance, body posture though with our connection to Pak Mei not too much the same. Apparently the or a Dragon system comes from Yau Kun MUn's three internal forms, passed on by a shaolin monk by the name of TitYoung . The internal forms do hold some familiar postures, nice hear your veiw on it !

MoQ
10-08-2000, 05:01 AM
Yau Gung Mun began with a renegade expelled student of Cheung Lai-Chin right?

Like Wong Bil of Hark Fu and even CLC himself, when times get cold and lonely, there's always a chance that you'll meet your own personal Magic Monk that will give you an exclusive on a system that's EVEN BETTER than the ones that won't have you! Yes, it can happen to you!

10-08-2000, 05:05 AM
lin q
what i know of ykm is that your gmaster ha, learnt pak mei from clc and some dragon under lam yui gwai. it is said that ykm g/master ha left clc to study with a monk from shaolin(song san). the monks name is tit yun. this monk was impressed by your g/m skill and took him as the only disciple to the ykm arts.

what i have seen of todays ykm is pak mei forms, you mentioned internal forms,could you please talk more about this, who is your sifu, where did he learn.

good post /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

LIN Q
10-08-2000, 07:25 AM
First of all, MoQ. of course he split from his teacher for many reasons . 1st he wanted to learn under the monk Tit Young , he obviously had something better to offer . Even clc ,Lam Yu Gwai apparently met MAGIC MONKS are they making it up as well moron. China must have been crawling with the feral little buggers. You have nothing to say that relates to **** so back up or get smacked the f**k up. Don't disrespect a system you know f**k all about . I left Dragon to go to Yau Kun Mun because it is a superior system than your little Gekko Foot system . It would be nice to have a conversation without twits like you (don't need feathers to be a goose).
So is there any response excecpt s**t for brain's that might shed some light on this. Iv'e followed this forum for a while and found you are a full joke ( a bad one at that).Didnt Lam Yu Gwai learn from a monk the basis of the Dragon system and created it. based on that knowledge(like clc did). so every system has a legend story....These systems " pakmei dragon yau kun mun hakka southern mantis" are all related in some way or another...

MoQ
10-08-2000, 06:30 PM
Whew, what a lucky break!

Yes, they all met Magic Monks, including CLC as I think I mentioned, but thanks for recreating the feeling.

Where is YKM before Har Hon Hung? Why did CLC call him the "Illegal Shi Fu"? He left for other reasons besides the attempted poisoning?

bigbear
10-09-2000, 12:08 AM
moq,
it must feel like s**t to know that you are not the almighty of this forum.
you love turning an interesting topic into an abusive match.
why don't you shut the f**k up and get off this topic so people can learn. i don't think they need your s**t.
why don't you ask why good students left the system to find something better, than to bag them out, maybe CLC & LYK weren't as good as everyone makes them out to be.
you need to have an open mind, not an open mouth that you can't keep shut.

MoQ
10-09-2000, 12:53 AM
...Don't even pretend to care about learning or anything else. Your posts have never been pleasant and you don't say anything either. You simpleton creeps are just about dissing CLC and isn't that how we crossed paths in the first place, you coming on and insulting all our Bak Mei people? Jeez, he probably gave your teacher the boot for being a sh*thead too.

LIN Q- I apologize for the insult, it's not your fault and don't worry, all the old guys will be dead soon along with the memory.

10-09-2000, 04:49 AM
moq- what have you got against ykm.

i have trained in this art in canton as well as pak mei.
clc called your gm a illegal sifu because he left clc no other reason. what i was told is that gm ha was clc #1 student,before he left to learn under the famous monk tit yun. i can see why he was so ****ed off.
ykm have never bagged clc or claim to be pak mei so whats your problem. who is disrepectful now moq.

lin kuil- good to know theres ykm out there.dont let ***gots put you down, moq is still learning basic. i would like to know more about ykm.
who is your sifu etc.

bigbear
10-09-2000, 05:22 AM
moq,
it must kill you that other people are correct and your not.
here is a web page shaolin gung fu institute (http://www.shaolin.com) that states YKM is the original dragon.
look it up in the origin of dragon style
/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

10-09-2000, 06:34 AM
go big bear...i read the site.

well may be clc was ****ed to know that ha hon hung learnt the real dragon, instead of himself... that must hurt all you pak mei clc guys and dragon, to know that ykm is your father.

big bear are you ykm or pak mei?
/infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif

MoQ
10-09-2000, 07:00 AM
You are total IDIOTS. That site is full of BS! THEIR sources are monks from before the 1928 burning of Shaolin!
..hahaha...keep reading and you will agree unless you are completely gullable! Are you new to the world?

meltdawn
10-09-2000, 07:08 AM
I cannot believe anyone would use that site as an authoritative source of Chinese martial arts history. Wake UP.

Illusionfist, this is another degenerated topic. I request that you close it so the majority of the information on the first pages can be archived and remain USEFUL to those of us who actually use this forum as a learning tool.

This slandering of lineages has to stop somewhere.

Meltdawn

10-09-2000, 10:00 AM
moq is disrespectful to all yal!
he should pull his head in. i agree with meltdown finish this s**t, otherwise it will continue.

moq
now your bringing ykm into this crap. your an arse, and thats all you wil; ever be. go around to a ykm school and say that ****, i'll call 911 for your ass. hahaha

peace

LIN Q
10-09-2000, 01:54 PM
YKM goes back to shaolin temples being used as the system to go up against challenegers when they came. Called the style with no name so they didn't know what stylist they were fighting. The original YKM is it's three internal forms , this taught to Ha Ho Hung. Yes YKM's external forms are influenced
by PAKMEI and DRAGON as well as it's internal forms. Mo Q have you ever seen any YKM or did you read an issue of INSIDE KUNG FU once. How can anyone these days claim their style is pure, clc's PAKMEI mixed with Dragon and vusa versa.Why do you need to claim you are studying some ultra pure system , you feeling a little dirty boy!? Find yourself considering the neibours terrier.You must be Catholic!
I study under Sifu Gary Heafield, Bi Si to Leun Chun,Si Gung was famous for his medicine alone not to mention YKM's storng history in the full contact comps also. Pakmei and Dragon were not clearly seen there. Now clc was famous for his exploits in competions , yes! YKM is a very strong school down here and Mo Q you are more than welcome to come down here and be knocked out , any time MATE!
At times we have been accused of being too agressive but never without knowing true Kung Fu.

MoQ
10-09-2000, 05:35 PM
fleece tigger you are a fool. You know nothing of respect and the only pleasant things that you've said were kissin' BigBeer booty for agreeing with your CLC badmouthing and there has been NOTHING informative, so what the f*ck?

LIN- Q I am sorry, I know we are from different worlds. All I know is from a close friend of CLC, so I bet it's a slanted story! We had someone else here from your lineage, I believe... was it Bastet?

10-09-2000, 11:46 PM
lin q- good post
i've heard of your sifu down under, didnt leurng chun pass on. i think read about it over here in the chinese paper there was a write up. like i said what i've trained of in ykm years ago they get down,lots of ging,conditioning and san sau. what are the names of the internal forms?

fu bo kuen
ying jow lin kiul is a ykm hand set,and pak mei does bfp have it as well. dragon calls it lung ying mor kuil. simularities

peace /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Fubokuen
10-10-2000, 12:06 AM
HAHAHA
Wasn't that another thread? It is all strange for me since I don't think I had any idea how far this would go, but yes, from my perspective, Lung Ying Mor Kiu and Ying Jow Leen Liu and Lung Ying Leen Kiu for that matter are BFP handforms.

The BFP LY Mor Kiu and YJ Leen Kiu are similar in pattern but not actions. The Mo/Mor Kiu has second set written all over it and the YJ Leen Kiu is definately more refined and intermediate in tone. The beginning segment of both forms have you stepping up 18 times with a single technique repeating and back 18 times with another.
Strangely, both these forms have gin lai salutes that are different from my other forms, but different from each other.

There are definately some mysteries here, do we dare?

[This message was edited by Fubokuen on 10-10-00 at 05:27 PM.]

Bastet
10-10-2000, 04:44 AM
hello everyone,

MoQ -
Yes, Lin Q is my Sihing, but im a little more even tempered than he /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif The only challenges i send out are battlemail kungfu! But I do not understand your hostility towards YKM - you reacted so quickly to the YKM history post a few months ago. Maybe you have had a bad experience in the past - but please dont tar us all with the same brush.

Regarding the CLC "discussion", i didnt really want to get involved. The only FACT apparent in this arguement is that no one except the people involved know the 100% true story. You are right MoQ - EVERYONE has a slant, its the nature of humans. I try not to pay too much attention, it doesnt directly affect MY kung fu, and thats the only thing i should be concentrating on (hint to those fiery types out there..)

Fierce Tiger -
Yes, my Sigung passed away last year. I am glad that you admire YKM, but please - you do us a diservice by reacting so violently on our behalf. Let this topic die - bringing up ghosts is never a good thing.

Im happy to answer any questions that I can with my limited knowledge.

blessed be,
a.

10-10-2000, 07:11 AM
well go girlfriend- i'll try and tone it down a little for you ONLY!

fu bo kuen always good to here from ya!

did you mention the second half of the forms doesnt repeat itself. thats dragon shadow, pak mei beg,int repeat half way adv dont like mung fu chut lum, sup bat mor kiul, sup batt yuet kum fu jow etc.

you can say if you cut a dragon form in half (one that goes forwards then turns around and goes back) you get 2 forms in one. most dragon doesnt repeat at half way.......

peace

Fubokuen
10-10-2000, 07:45 AM
Good those forms aren't familiar! /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

The LY Mor Kiu and YJ Leen Kiu both have step up 18 and back 18 times, then the center section and a turn around 180* and repeat the process, then a turn around to your opening spot and ending moves. This is where they differ most(besides the general higher complexityof the YJLK), the Mo Kiu steps up and back again, 9 times each this time and the Leen Kiu has a less drill like and smaller(10-12mvs) step up and off to the side and single step back and kick to where you started. Sound familiar anyone? Does anyone know where these Ying Jow forms come from?

10-10-2000, 01:15 PM
fu bo kuen,
maybe because doo wai studied under clc for some time,you have the same names. what other form names do you have that sound the same as pak mei.

peace

lungyuil
10-10-2000, 01:39 PM
moq,
i have read quite a few threads where you really lash out at others. i am a practitioner of YKM and none of us appreciate your tone about our late grandmaster har hon hung. mention another disrespectful word about YKM or our late GM & i guarantee you will be challenged along with your school.
Lin Q : nice to see YKM reputation and prowess has not diminished.

Bastet : your posts are always respectful of the system. it is good to see we have a moderator among us to try to keep the peace.

respect is earned.

LIN Q
10-10-2000, 03:46 PM
Haven't we heard enough of this, it's become the new mating call for drunken yobos I think.
Mo Q ,one artical I was reading said that Siu Lum Dragon and Southern Dragon are Quite different, can you explain the differences.Maybe this has some bearing on this issue, I am a little ignorant on the matter, my Dragon teacher before was reluctant to reveal much on theses topics, why I don't know.
Despite previous comments I very much enjoyed the Dragon system, having simularities and an excellent teacher is what drew me to YKM.When you have a powerfull system with a Sifu who trully knows his s**t you end up with a very strong school. All our training sessions are full on , three hour classes are certainly not enough. Alot of conditioning training, (rings,roller bars iron palm ,stances , basic punching drills)I could make a huge list, having the influence of pakmei and Dragon only make our system even better, they are all excellent systems not to f**ked with(when developed properly)

Fubokuen
10-10-2000, 07:08 PM
Fierce tiger- Where are you pulling your info from? If there's same sounding forms in CLC's Bak Mei, the influence is of course the other way around. Where does your "original Bak Mei" fit in? Are your forms names similar to CLC's? Why would that be?

Lungyuil- A "threat of an internet challenge" with your second post? Respect is EARNED, remember? I believe you are taking the wrong approach here. You must be respected for anyone to take your "challenge" seriously, or give it anything more than a chuckle.

10-10-2000, 11:19 PM
fu bo kuen- i was told by an old dragon master that your sifu was training and getting information of clc before he passed away. doo wai did train with clc and learnt his pak mei and added it to bak fu pai. thats what i was told.

lungyiu, i understand how you feel about moq, he is a fool, dont go to his level. challengers over the internet are silly, but i feel the same way about moq as everyone else. do forgive this idiot!

peace
/infopop/emoticons/icon_mad.gif

lungyuil
10-10-2000, 11:47 PM
fubokuen,
maybe i overreacted, but that does not excuse the morom moq from the disrespect he has shown to our system. if people show your system disrespect what would you do???
just let them get away with it. i don't think so.
why would people insult you and call your late sigung an illegal "shi fu" unless they were either jeolous or scared that just maybe we have a more powerful system.
not that i am saying any system is better that the other.
i am however, proud to be training in YKM under a very good sifu in Australia. we have a very powerful system and as mentioned before by my training brother Lin Q we have a very strong full contact fighting record.

so why let idiots get on the topic and turn a discussion about dragon into a slurge match.

people have gone to hong kong especially to learn our internal forms from our grandmaster har quar chearn. he won't even teach them.

people have seen our first internal form practiced in the park (tia chi people) and have come over and commented about the power it generates including the fact that it is a very old form. why would they say that?

so i take offence that YKM has been attacked on the forum before including our sifu by MORONS that have nothing to do with the system or know anything about YKM.

[This message was edited by lungyuil on 10-11-00 at 05:00 PM.]

[This message was edited by lungyuil on 10-11-00 at 05:04 PM.]

Fubokuen
10-11-2000, 08:12 AM
lungyuil- You may be coming into it late in the game. Alot of people barking now were slagging on Cheung Lai-Chin earlier. MoQ is just an attack dog(down boy, heel!) and most others with upwards of 1000 posts still have their backs turned.

I do Bak Fu Pai and what interests me about YKM is that I hear we have form names at least in common. I am getting very suspicious! Hehehe What is going on here?

lungyuil
10-11-2000, 09:25 AM
fubokuen,
i don't understand what your suspicion is, bak mei has similar names of forms including technique names. didn't fung doe duc and bak mei develop their systems together. it seems obvious to me that names incl. techniques would be the same or similar.

look at hung gar and jow gar, they have the same names including techniques. why would there be any suspicion as to why.

i don't think this is the thread to discuss it on.
if you have any other questions i would be happy to help on the other thread i started about YKM.

/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

LIN Q
10-11-2000, 02:08 PM
Are you suspicions concerning my post on Lacy if so , I have replied to that on the Dragon thread?
fierce tiger, the three internal forms have been kept secret but were passed to him from Ha Kwok Chun in Hong Kong, not all the YKM schools have these forms down under so it is a honour to be in a position to learn them. At this point in time I've only learnt the first one but it quite powerful and will be some time before I learn the others ,enough in that one for now.YAU KUNG SAB BAT 18 SERNG(Internal 18 Double Pushing Palms)Toi Jeung.

Fubokuen
10-11-2000, 07:10 PM
Okay, I should've put a smiley.
A general cultivation should include a practical sense of humor. /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

I mean that I'm becoming SUSPICIOUS about what the connections here really are. We have all been told stories, but I've always realized legends are just that, legends and all of the various societies have one, along with a creed, temple etc. Something ELSE is going on here.

I've heard from a Chow Gar practitioner that there's some connection between Cheung Lai-Chin and Lau Sui in their lineage. CLC is even claimed in some SPM lineages.

In the midst of investigating, I am finding just as many differences also. My teacher DID learn CLC's Bak Mei system in it's entirety and also Lung Ying from Lum Yew Gwai, but under direction of his father after growing up in the Bak Fu Pai. I don't know about influence, but these systems' similarities definately DO END based on what I've seen. It's almost as if the same practical movement is just done differently or with a different attitude.

As for the Jim Lacy thing, this is a man who stole DEMO videos(nothing on his pile of bootlegs is "real") because he knew he never would be taught the material. Basically all he does is make up stories about himself and sell illegal bootlegs of the GM. Actually now he has toadies all over that are "redoing this rare kungfu material" for the sake of the world(because he received a note from GM Doo's lawyer), but it's all completely inauthentic and just empty "demos". The best part is from Lacy himself:"I can learn a form in 5 minutes! I just watch the tape once and write it down in Ed Parker's Kenpo terminology, then later I make a tape of my "version" from my notes!" 'Nuff said? Of course, he will promise to "Immortalize you in MA History" if you help him out, but I doubt things will go as planned.

Once someone knows the story, to associate with him is to knowingly purchase illegal underground bootlegs, but it's basically worthless and no one in the Pai really practices any of that material per se.

10-11-2000, 11:42 PM
fu bo kuen
i was told that clc had some training in jook lum tong long pai. he could have also trained in chow gar.

pak mei has hand forms like sup bat sau, fut sau or jeurng now this is in southern manits as well, bak fu may have these as well as hakka. 3,9 18 step, soy kiul all come from????

til next time my friends.
/infopop/emoticons/icon_razz.gif

LIN Q
10-13-2000, 06:25 AM
These 'DEMO' tapes contain what excactely, forms made up when they were filmed or bits and pieces of forms that Lacy put together ? Sifu hasn't really spoken much about them I could just ask him probably ! As for the stories of conections I'm a little vague, I train my kung fu hard but untill recently I didn't pay too much heed to all the stories.

Fubokuen
10-13-2000, 11:42 PM
The forms on the tapes are demonstrational and not educational. They are not intended for sale and are marked as such. Lacy's "versions" that he has on tape are learned from these bootlegs videos on his terms and NOT TAUGHT TO HIM BY ANYONE. This is my point here, he is not authorized by anyone to represent the material he has in his possession.

lungyuil
10-13-2000, 11:57 PM
fubokuen,
you state that these are demonstrational videos.
are they real, in relation to the kung fu, or just fake.
and if so why worry, they are not real material.
it just seems that alot of these threads, turn towards lacy. i don't know the guy, but it seems that everytime his name is mentioned, he gets a little extra publicity.
our sifu explained a few things about his picture being on lacy's web page and i think Bastet gave you guys the explanation.
Can we get back to the thread topic about the dragon systems.

10-18-2000, 08:53 AM
i heard that loong ying didnt have fou chum, only tung toa cheung lai chun and lum yui gwa added it in from pak mei. can anyone clear this up.

peace

FIRE HAWK
05-11-2001, 08:06 AM
Man there is some good stuff and bad stuff on this old post.

tnwingtsun
05-11-2001, 12:01 PM
The southern thread has been dead for a while.
It seems that we are all of the same lineage.
Or some what...............
With all of the flamers and the BJJ GODs out
there lets stick together!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Enough of this bickering!,we are all brothers and
sisters and need to stay that way!!

My Sifu is and has always been in the mainstream
of BAI MAI!,ok bak mei,or whatever,when you talk to the old guys in the system there is no discord,
if there is,its petty BS!!

CLC this,CLC that,YKM Sifu illegal this and that.
The old school guys in my system care not for
the old bickering.
I've sat at the table with them and this has come up many times,manners and a good heart is what counts.

Ya know.....How stupid is it to pull up old
fights that MIGHT have happened years ago when none of us were there?????

I was at a Kung-fu demo at MTSU(Middle Tennessee State University) in 1985,my first year in Bai Mei
and there was a Hung-Gar school that gave us the
dirty look because "Our Monk" killed their Monk.
WHO CARES??????
Last week I met a Bosinian(Muslim) Mother that had spent 9 months in a concentration camp,family torn to shreads,tears welled up in her eyes and it touched my heart,the Serbs had done unspeakable
things to her and her kids,she got lucky.
They made it out alive.
Years ago the Serbs suffered at the hands of the
Muslims and Croatis.
What does this have to do with Kung-Fu??
Think about it!
We are all links in a chain.
I'm glad that this forum has life once more weather its good or bad............

[This message was edited by tnwingtsun on 05-12-01 at 03:07 AM.]

BIU JI
05-12-2001, 04:12 PM
This thread hasnt been up for a long time, I think we've moved on since then.Although it is good and bad to read again.

I guess the bit about YKM's internal forms being the foundation of Dragon didnt go down so well. Wonder if anyones still ****ed about that. Soon see I guess! :D

PEACE,,,,

emeikungfu
11-17-2006, 05:14 PM
hi I practice emei fire dragon:o

Firehawk4
11-17-2006, 06:58 PM
Can you tell me about your Emie Fire Dragon system what kind of forms ? does use the Phoenix Eye fist ? I am going to get a VCD on Emie Fire Dragon .

B-Rad
11-17-2006, 08:08 PM
On the vcd he does. The vcd form is very fast with lots of hand strikes with the pheonix eye fist. I think someone else posted a clip before of the style, though that form was softer, more taiji like. I'm curious what the system is like too :) Also, where do you learn it emeikungfu?

emeikungfu
11-17-2006, 10:31 PM
Emei kung fu is a fusion of the two major temples shaolin and Wutang
the ying and yand in armony were developed in Emei mountais to southwest of China near the tibet
Thus emei kungfu is very effective and complex,they join to create new styles mor powerfull my style is from the end of mind dinasty .In emei mountains were created very rare and ocult styles .there were several but with the time were dissapering because it were trasmited from only the family to family.
My style how I can say ,my english is not so good sorry- imagine a fusion of Pakua, tai chi chen ,northen kicking Shaolin and advanced circular chinna only to imagine.
My emei fire dragon is an internal external style with very circular movements in footwork and hands ,explosive ones and soft others , the turn of the waist
the energy is based in qigong , the principal idea to be "air"
Dragon is air as also earth ,water,fire and wind,this is the filosofy of the movement
If you like to know more about it visit please www.emeikungfu.tk
"If your hearth is good your kungfu will be good"
thanks for your questions
sincerely
Si Fu Emei

diego
05-31-2011, 06:19 PM
Hi all,

I studied under Sifu Chow Fook back in the late 70s and early 80s. He was a kind soul.

He studied Bak Mei under Sigung Cheung Lai Chun first and then with Sigung Lam Yui Kwai. So his Lung Ying has more a Bak Mei flavour to it. I understand it that Lung Ying excepts and sometimes exchanges students with other systems; therefore, one would see different flavour in different lineage. Personally, I agree that Sifu Lam Woon Kwong's (Sigung's elder son) lineage is a solid representation of Lung Ying. I sought out a mentor, Sifu Sam Hung, who is from Sifu Lum Woon Kwong's lineage, to continue my Lung Ying's study.

BTW, I have not yet read the book by Sifu Chow Fook. I, too, wonder how it is like?

Mantis108

------------------

Do you know if sigung Chow fook wrote more books or articles I'm curious as he's my Sifu's teacher? http://www.plumpub.com/images/CB/tc200/bk_tc203.jpg

aussie1981
06-01-2011, 04:36 AM
We do a dragon elbow style in the Yang mian system, trains 3 dimesional fajing and fluidity between elbows.

David Jamieson
06-01-2011, 05:35 AM
I am an actual dragon.

there, I've said it and so what.

Iron_Eagle_76
06-01-2011, 07:09 AM
I am an actual dragon.

there, I've said it and so what.

Baaaah, you are one of those colorful, fruity chinese dragons who simply look good on a flag or tapestry, I on the other hand am a full blown fire breathing European Norse style dragon with fire breathing and a**ss kicking built into me!!:D

David Jamieson
06-01-2011, 07:41 AM
Baaaah, you are one of those colorful, fruity chinese dragons who simply look good on a flag or tapestry, I on the other hand am a full blown fire breathing European Norse style dragon with fire breathing and a**ss kicking built into me!!:D

I am a viking dragon.

I eat pirates and crap ninjas.

I am made of the hardest wood known to man and cannot burn, drown or be effected by the cut of the axe.

I have a weakness, but I will not tell it. :D

rawwwrrrrr.

*crap ninjas* awww yeahhh.

Dr.Rob
06-01-2011, 10:44 AM
Dude I do Dragon and I met Dave. He is a Dragon.

Big teeth, scary nails and holds chick for bounty.

Seen it, its real. I will find the video. Then post it and you will all see.:D

David Jamieson
06-01-2011, 10:48 AM
And I've met Dr.Rob and can attest to the Oni in his avatar as actually being him...

At first, I couldn't believe my dragon eyes when the Oni showed up for the meeting!

After a while though it was all good because Oni, like Dragons, enjoy a good single malt scotch.

Ao Qin
06-15-2011, 06:11 PM
Hi Diego - Chow Fook is my Sigung as well. Did you personally train with him?

Cheers - AQ

diego
06-16-2011, 11:43 AM
Hi Diego - Chow Fook is my Sigung as well. Did you personally train with him?

Cheers - AQ

No my sifu did:cool:

Mantis9700
07-05-2011, 07:05 PM
I dont mean to hijack the thread but I wasnt sure where to ask. I was wondering if anyone here has trained with Master Lam/Lum on the west coast of florida?? What was your experience and opinion? I have practiced northern mantis for years and was thinking about cross training in another style. Thanx

LaterthanNever
07-22-2011, 06:19 PM
Does anyone know of a Master who teaches Lung Ying in New York..besides GM Yip Wing Hong?

Someone mentioned his name before. I believe he teaches private lessons in a park(central park?).

shaolin_allan
07-24-2011, 08:42 AM
has anyone here heard of or do a form called white dragon pierces heaven?

triskellin
08-08-2011, 03:42 AM
I dont mean to hijack the thread but I wasnt sure where to ask. I was wondering if anyone here has trained with Master Lam/Lum on the west coast of florida?? What was your experience and opinion? I have practiced northern mantis for years and was thinking about cross training in another style. Thanx

I've met him, been to visit his school in Sarasota once and met with his students in HK a few times. I'd go check it out, he's authentic! His student Andy Chung also teaches in Tampa if that's any closer.

triskellin
08-08-2011, 03:43 AM
Does anyone know of a Master who teaches Lung Ying in New York..besides GM Yip Wing Hong?

Someone mentioned his name before. I believe he teaches private lessons in a park(central park?).

Chen Luk San. Columbia (or Columbus, sorry I forget) Park where all the kf guys gather.

TopCrusader
08-18-2011, 01:13 PM
Anybody have this book:

Lung Ying Mork Kiu (Dragon Fist Rubbing Bridge) by Chow Fook
http://www.plumpub.com/images/CB/tc200/bk_tc203.jpg

Recommended? I dont practice Southern Dragon but would like to learn more about it, even if just historical, etc.

R
08-20-2011, 07:25 AM
Lovely book by Master Chow Fook.

Mostly written in chinese but there is a short portion that is in english.

Can I ask why you are interested?? The form shown in this set is one that is oftern demo'd so you might get a feel for what is happening from watching others but the full movements are not completely obvious from just looking at the pictures. You certainly won't understand the methods of power generation in Lung Ying from just copying what is in the book.

FWIW

R

R
08-20-2011, 07:33 AM
Sorry re-reading your post I might add if it is history etc that you want you will probably find out as much from wikipedia or from looking at a few web pages as you would get from buying the book.

Still it is a nice little book for someone who already knows the set. Props to Sifu C.S. Tang for producing it.

Hope that helps.

R

TopCrusader
08-20-2011, 09:51 AM
Hey R,
Thanks for the input. The main reason I wanted this book was just to familiarize myself with the style since there are basically NO other books out there on Southern Dragon. I like to have books on other gung fu styles than what I practice. The only place on the internet I found to buy the book is the authors website (Its currently unavailable on plumpub)

Thanks

R
08-20-2011, 10:57 AM
Well mate you best be off to YouTube and take a peek at what is on offer :' )

There are also some chinese sites about that show LY vids.

Honestly I don't think the book is worth your money if you don't understand what is being demonstrated. You might be ok if you train in another Hakka art or something similar but then again if you did I doubt you would be on here asking.

I would suggest that you take a look at the vids of Master Chen Luk San as a start.

R

Dr.Rob
08-20-2011, 06:34 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sPriM8V0tNY&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sPriM8V0tNY&feature=related

The author of the book in question...plum pub usually has it. Been out of stock for a few years at other carriers.

Frost
08-21-2011, 11:35 AM
any clips of Master Chow Fook doing dragon? love the bak mei clips

R
08-21-2011, 03:24 PM
Don't think there are any about on the net. There are 2 clips of him doing Sup Baat Mor Kiu but they are truncated for demo purposes. The first is the one posted by Dr Rob.

Here is the second clip of SBMK in case you have not seen it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=anLI62AOwfw&feature=related

I understand that at this time he has a prosthetic leg so it seems pretty amazing that he can perform.

R

Frost
08-22-2011, 05:00 AM
cheers always good to see good hakka stuff :)