PDA

View Full Version : ATTN: Rene Ritchie

Merryprankster
12-10-2002, 03:36 AM
RR,

Since my girlfriend has a penchant for freezing her ass off, I'm going to be in Quebec City the weekend of 3,4,5 January. Last year she felt compelled to drag my sorry butt to Montreal during a similar time frame.

Anyway, I seem to recall you have a school up there.

Can I come play? I'll bring my gi ;)

James

reneritchie
12-10-2002, 07:47 AM
MP - Email me @ info@wingchunkuen.com and we'll work something out!

reneritchie
12-11-2002, 08:37 AM
MP -

Just occured to me, WRT Montreal, there are some other local folks you might also want to check out, time permitting:

Nigel Scanttlebury (sp?), one of the earliest MMA people (fused judo, wrestling, thai boxing, BJJ, and some other stuff, back in the 80s). Corners some of Renzo's fighters, like Sean Alvarez, in Canadian events.

Angelo Exharcos (sp?), a wrestler who's a purple belt (I think) under Renzo. An injury sidelined his own career (he was invited to ADCC) but he trains and corners a lot of Canadian fighters.

Phil Gelinas, an 8th degree in Kajukenbo, instructor in JKD, Kali, Silat, etc. under Dan Inosanto et. al., a purple belt in BJJ (Nova Uniao), and one of the early Dog Brothers.

There's also a Carlson Gracie Team black belt, and a couple other interesting folks round abouts.

RR

Merryprankster
12-11-2002, 09:16 AM
Ah, no. Montreal was last year. This year is Quebec city.

But thanks!

James

reneritchie
12-11-2002, 09:20 AM
Quebec City has nothing. Less than nothing.

(Well, actually, they have Denis Shink, a Ma Ping (Yip Man), Chen Taiji, Dragon Shape boxing, etc.)

You might want to check out the UG's Canada Forum to see if there's anything else.

Too bad you aren't coming around the 25th, there's a UCC with Jens Pulver vs. Duane Ludwig headlining...

diego
12-11-2002, 05:39 PM
Originally posted by reneritchie
MP -

Phil Gelinas, an 8th degree in Kajukenbo, instructor in JKD, Kali, Silat, etc. under Dan Inosanto et. al., a purple belt in BJJ (Nova Uniao), and one of the early Dog Brothers.

Hello Rene, i would also like to add that Mr. Gelinas also teaches HopGar/WhiteCrane, and would like to ask you your opinion about his school, if you have had the chance to take a look!?.

My reason is he is one of the 4 main seniors from a hopgar student of the guy in my avatar, and i hope one day to make it out to montreal to study from his school.

As a wing chunner im curious what your opinion is of his class, or did you just throw the name out thier from rep and not first hand experiance?.
peace

reneritchie
12-11-2002, 08:10 PM
I've never heard of him teaching Hop Ga or White Crane, nor have I seen it listed on his website (though I might have missed it) - http://www.montrealmartialarts.com.

There is a White Crane teacher in town, Lorne Bernard, but it is Fujian White Crane.

I've met him, off and on, several times over the last 12 years. First saw him doing Kajukembo as a member of the local Chinese MA association, lately doing BJJ. Don't know him well, though, only to say hello. He has a very good reputation, though.

RR

diego
12-11-2002, 08:24 PM
Thanks for your reply rene. I think i was told he teaches the hopgar strictly to his seniors or private students, kind of like as a specialty lesson, and he grounds you in kajukenbo and arnis...or something like that:cool: .
Cheers

Ohya, what is your opinion why chi sim is in hunggar and wing chun legends?. Was thier a chi sim or is he a myth?. If the latter then why do wing chun and hungga talk about him, and the other southern shaolin legendary founders?.
:)

reneritchie
12-12-2002, 07:11 AM
Two possible answers:

1) He was real, and his art was passed down both to Hung Hei-Goon in Fujian who later brought it to Guangdong and to the Red Junk performers in Guangdong

or

2) He was an archetypal legend, made famous through works such as Wan Nian Qing (sp?), adapted into the Hung Kuen mythos, and then spread into what became both Hung Ga Kuen and Weng Chun Kuen.

(Was Odin/Wotan a real God, and if not, how did both Germanic and Nordic mythos both make reference to him? If you only know they do, it provides a more limited possibility set than if you understand the migration of peoples and cultural mythos through Europe).

We must respect the stories of our ancestors, yet also be honest enough to say we'll likely never be able to know for sure.

RR

Merryprankster
12-12-2002, 07:50 AM
Ah, I see. You are in Montreal then. I wish I'd known last year!

Anyhoo, thanks for the invite. I appreciate it.

CHeers!

James

diego
12-12-2002, 09:18 PM
Wing Chun Kuen: Fist of the Red Junk Opera... Your guys article wich has been down at your site, touched on how the legendary elders may have been just that= legends. It mentioned something about a tansao ng bieng the founder "cant quite recall".
Then i read something on a hungga forum, where a practitioner mentioned how could they just be legends in wing chun but according to our history as hungmen they are real...so the poster doubted the red junk seceret society founders in favor for the legendary southern shaolin, etcetc. I'm sure your more wellinformed on these issues then i;) .

Two questions: Is your guys article going to be back up, and do you have any dates when the south shaolin elder legend/myth/historys...started to turn up?. When was the book you mentioned wrote, etc?.

Thanks for your replys, much appreciatted!.

reneritchie
12-13-2002, 08:23 AM
Diego,

A finale draft of that article was put up on this site, as part of their e-zine. You should be able to find it still, if not I'll take a look for you.

BTW - The article focused on documented history, which is why most if not all the Shaolin stories are absent (no documentation). Also, we didn't name Tan Sao Ng as "the founder", he was historically a great contributor to the Red Junk Opera, and while his nickname has led some to theorize as to his relationship with WCK, this also remains difficult to verify one way or another.

RR

diego
12-13-2002, 07:09 PM
Thanks agian Rene, Will search kfo for that now:cool: