PDA

View Full Version : Cops and training

red5angel
12-11-2002, 08:27 AM
this sort of pertains to the martial arts because recently I have been talking to two of my freinds who are going to school to be policemen.
It's in my opinion that policemen aren't trained well enough psychologically or martially to handle the sorts of situations they come across. I was watching the news last night an dthis story was on:

http://www.kare11.com/news/news-article.asp?NEWS_ID=39281

During the newscast, it was mentioned that the cops who responded to this incident claimed they used "reasonable force" to restrain this guy. This is exactly what I am refering to, how could you be using "reasonable force" and still kill someone?

Chang Style Novice
12-11-2002, 08:31 AM
"choked with what was apparently a baton or a police flashlight"

Yeah, man, that's messed up.

red5angel
12-11-2002, 08:45 AM
On top of that, they were interviewing the guys fiance on the news and she said that they first cuffed him and then threw him on the bed face down. One of the cops held him down by putting a pillow over his head and leaning into it!!! then the threw him to the floor and that is when the flashlight thing happened.

For fukk sake who over the age of 18 doesnt know that putting a pillow over someones head can kill them? much less restraining them by using a flashlight around their throat and pulling back on it?! This is exactly what I am talking about when it comes to training, this kind of thing should never happen.

Former castleva
12-11-2002, 09:16 AM
I agree.
I was not very confident with this kind of an idea,but it supports what Iīve heard.
Itīs not that surprising really,considering that in your career,you go trough a training seminar or two and stick with that knowledge and skill for the rest of your life.
There are various reported incidents of ppl dying from uncontrolled chokes,I think this reflects little training quite well.
Not to generalise of course.

SifuAbel
12-11-2002, 09:53 AM
You think thats bad, do you all remember when cops started using nunchaku? Some states had to ban it for the absolute destruction cops were inflicting.

Mind you, you must keep in mind that cops are in the thick of it 24/7. They deal with all the scum you cross the street to avoid. Still, it does go overboard.

Maybe, when they "legalize it"(I can hear bob marley in the background) more cops would get off the booze. There is nothing nastier then a hung over guy with an attitude. They would be a little more laid back and not get the booze temper.

GeneChing
12-11-2002, 10:30 AM
I know nunchuks were big with asian police forces, but I am curious with U.S. states gave them to their cops. Ever see those mounted police that had boken (http://store.yahoo.com/martialartsmart/40-03.html) ? Now that would be a way to deal with crowds...

ewallace
12-11-2002, 10:45 AM
Do I sense a new storyline here?

red5angel
12-11-2002, 11:41 AM
FC, thats what I am talking about. I wouldn't blame the individuals who are or want to be policemen. I would blame the system that is responsible for determining their training ad level of ability in all aspects of their job.

this subject came up a few days back with my friends and I . I said that I think it should be required that cops go through some sort of ongoing and regular martial arts training for just such situations like this.
If a situation is escalating, only your training can de-escalate or stop it from getting worse. If you dont know how to do this in a "freindly" manner, you will go from, arguing, to wrestling with a perpetrator, to pulling your gun, instead of skipping all the steps in between like negotiating, verbal jujitsu, even pressure and submission holds to do a minimum of damage when necessary.

SifuAbel
12-11-2002, 11:56 AM
Originally posted by GeneChing
I know nunchuks were big with asian police forces, but I am curious with U.S. states gave them to their cops. Ever see those mounted police that had boken (http://store.yahoo.com/martialartsmart/40-03.html) ? Now that would be a way to deal with crowds...

Florida for one.

San mateo police have them, now.

Nj police had them.

lots of police in the late 70's early 80's

I'm sure others can chime in with their home town stats.

SifuAbel
12-11-2002, 11:59 AM
Oh no, I fell for a martialartsmart plug!!!

Kristoffer
12-11-2002, 01:00 PM
Ahhhh the good old days... I remember (well actually I don't coz I was born 84) in the early centuary when Stockholm police used swords. Now that is just plain cruel, not kiddin ya. :eek:

sing fu
12-11-2002, 03:26 PM
The police station in my neighbourhood has judo, kendo and short staff, as well as specific arrest training virtually everyday in the early morning. It suprises me that a country with as little crime as Japan does has this level of awareness and preparation, whereas our western countries police martial training is so primative and neglected.

red5angel
12-11-2002, 03:45 PM
sing fu, yep, thats what I am getting at. There is no reason other then in my view shear irresponsibility, for wh our police forces aren't thoroughly and regularly trained in the skills they need to do their job apropriately and safely

joedoe
12-11-2002, 04:44 PM
Why train martial arts when you have guns? :rolleyes: :D

dnc101
12-11-2002, 05:51 PM
Lack of training didn't cause that death. It was clearly excessive force to any one, trained or not. That was abuse of authority, they apparently got carried away with the power with which we entrust our police. If this story is found to be true, they should face murder charges and be punished to the fullest extent of the law.

Gene- our county sherrif and the posse utilize mounted horse patrols. They train with and use boken, sort of like it is a long baton more than a sword substitute. I think the same rules of force apply to the boken as to a baton.

GeneChing
12-12-2002, 10:42 AM
SA: San Mateo as in our San Mateo, California? Now? Really. I'll have to check that out.

DNC101: I've seen sword length batons especially with riot control, but I find the curved one, ala boken, more interesting. That's a great design to cut through a crowd from horseback. The sword baton and shield stuff is also interesting. In Asia, I've seen long batons and RATTAN sheilds - always wanted to get one of those rattan sheilds. Most carry these (http://store.yahoo.com/martialartsmart/45-90.html) nowadays, but they aren't as nice (or as tough) as the old woven rattan pieces.

SifuAbel
12-12-2002, 10:22 PM
Yes, san mateo, CA

GeneChing
12-13-2002, 11:05 AM
The fuzz got tonfa (http://store.yahoo.com/martialartsmart/tonfa.html) , now they got chuks (http://store.yahoo.com/martialartsmart/nunchaku.html) ... What next? (http://store.yahoo.com/martialartsmart/sai.html)

You wouldn't happen to know who is training these San Mateo cops in nunchuk, would you?

SifuAbel
12-13-2002, 02:11 PM
Cops i talked too say that many were karateka and judoka.

SifuAbel
12-13-2002, 02:33 PM
....eagerly awaiting next shameless plug!!

:D :D :D :D :D